USAToday: many troops openly gay

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

USAToday: many troops openly gay

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Hmm, so maybe something remotely positive could come of this massive FUBAR situation in Mess O' Potamia--maybe a few previously homophobic people will be exposed to some of that ilk, and realize the planet will keep orbiting even if they remain upon it.
Seems like a pretty steep price though.
Anyway, on to the link:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... oops_N.htm
(Sorry, I'm a bit late on the uptake.)

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Mon May 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Reviving an old post, but just had to stick my nose in it anyway.

It's so mindbendingly mindblowing that this is even something worth reporting on. And depressing. The more it's made into an issue by the military, the more it will be an issue.

FWIW, LBGT folks serve openly in the military here (Israel). No morale issues over it. No battlefield trauma over it. Just people serving together.

Why is it even an issue?? It's the 21st century, you know?

/rant

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon May 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I've always been a live and let live kind of person. I really wish everyone would let folks live the life they chose and they should not be barred from any kind of employment or rights because of their choice. What really irks me is that a lot of folks who yell the loudest against gay marriage are throwing stones in a glass house (all the conservative preachers who wound up stealing from the congregation or cheating on their wives!) As long as they do a good job - why not let gays in the military? Someday this will be looked at like women getting the right to vote, the end of slavery, etc.... People will say "can you imagine they used to not let gay people marry!!!"

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon May 04, 2009 3:56 pm

They used to not allow blacks or women to serve either--at least not officially.

Roz

Post by Roz » Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm

You know, I spent six years in the Navy, back in the early to mid 1990's. The policy then was 'don't ask, don't tell'. But honestly, who cares? I know, some obviously do. I didn't/don't and worked with a couple lesbians at my first duty station. They did their job just like the rest of us, stood inspections just like the rest of us and usually kicked the rest of our collective asses in the physical fitness tests twice a year. As Marie says, live and let live. I am sure there are many more gays and lesbians who in the military but aren't as open as these two were, mainly out of fear of persecution. How sad. They volunteered just like the rest of us to defend the U.S. against all enemies foreign and domestic. Even they are no longer in the military, the fight still goes on for the two I worked with.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 pm

They did their job just like the rest of us,

And isn't that the point?

The people who scream the loudest are the ones with the most fear. But fear of what?

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Mon May 04, 2009 7:34 pm

One of my teachers used to be a cop (and I think in the army too) and he was honestly such a homophobe. One time one of us asked him about the "Don't ask, don't tell policy" and what he thought bout it, and he answered:
"I believe this is right because I don't want some guy checking me out while I'm protecting my country"
I honestly wanted to punch him in the face. I mean, it's not like the first thing a gay person thinks is to hit on some guy, especially when you're under extreme circumstances, like war. They are also protecting our country, just like any straight person is.
It shouldn't really matter whether he's openly gay or not, they still have the same purposes as anyone, to defend this country.
It's so stupid that they can't just be open about their sexuality. And it's not like they have to parade around the fact that they're gay or lesbian. But they should feel comfortable with who they are without having to worry bout someone finding out whether they're gay or not.
I'm so sorry to ramble on but things like this really frustrate me so much.
And like a.p.k said, it's 2009 people! This shouldn't be a taboo issue anymore. This shouldn't be news anymore, people just have to come to the fact that gay people are people with our same desires and dreams. My God! *walks away fuming*

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm

I think your teacher had the old holdover stereo type image of the army being like the Priesthood - a lot of guys! Well as it has been pointed out - they are also defending our country. Besides the answer to a gay guy hitting on you (if you are male) is the same as women have used for eons "you're not my type!"

Roz

Post by Roz » Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Helen8 wrote:They did their job just like the rest of us,

And isn't that the point?
Exactly! We are all just people. Why does what one does in the privacy of their own bedroom (kitchen table, living room rug, washing machine, etc. :oops: :mrgreen: ) have any bearing on how someone performs a job? But, I know some people just hold these deep seated fears and no matter what, those fears won't ever be eased.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Mon May 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Marie wrote:I think your teacher had the old holdover stereo type image of the army being like the Priesthood - a lot of guys! Well as it has been pointed out - they are also defending our country. Besides the answer to a gay guy hitting on you (if you are male) is the same as women have used for eons "you're not my type!"
Well...I still think he's a homophobe. He also said that "AIDS is a homosexual disease"

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 am

:shock: I can't believe such an educated person would make such comments. A human is a human no matter what he or she believes in, or what gender they prefer to be in a relationship with. Though I confess I have a Grandparent who is a bit on the homophobic side and doesn't want to hear any different than what he already believes. Personally I have a couple of mates who are gay, as do my parents, which provides me with an excuse to go to all the gay bars possible and lets face it, the music and night-life is better :cool:
MM

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue May 05, 2009 6:37 am

The more it's made into an issue by the military, the more it will be an issue.
I wholeheartdly agree.

And I have nothing against gay in the military, come on, sexual orientation should't be a factor in serving :roll: Just a reminder, homosexuals are humans too (so why should they be denied the right to serve their country?)

~me

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:38 am

Mistress wrote::shock: I can't believe such an educated person would make such comments. A human is a human no matter what he or she believes in, or what gender they prefer to be in a relationship with. Though I confess I have a Grandparent who is a bit on the homophobic side and doesn't want to hear any different than what he already believes.
I couldn't believe it either. My eyes were wide open. At some point I asked my friend if he really did say that, and he said ".........yeah :shock: "
We all just couldn't believe it. He also made other very ignorant antigay comments such as "Why is there a gay parade?! There should be a straight parade too"
I just wanted to be like "Dude....everyday is a heterosexual parade" that's what I think. Everyday you see straight people making out in corners and everywhere and no one ever says anything because that's "acceptable" and it's "normal". But gay people can't even hold hand walking down the street! Even thought their relationship is just as valid and loving as any other relationship. That happened to my mom's best friend. He's gay and he's had a boyfriend for god knows how long, they live in L.A and one time they were holding hands and every single person there started yelling obscenities and condescending words. I was so disgusted as a person. I felt so bad for those people because they're not open minded enough to accept a healthy, loving (those two love each other like crazy!) relationship!

Personally I have a couple of mates who are gay, as do my parents, which provides me with an excuse to go to all the gay bars possible and lets face it, the music and night-life is better :cool:
I know! I also have one gay friend (who was....:oops: my ex boyfriend :oops: and now that he has come out you can feel how good he feels with himself. He always bothers me telling me that I turned him gay :lol :lol
But yeah they're honestly so much fun to hang out with and they're always witty and funny and just...amazing. Never been to a gay bar though *cries*
I will this summer though!
So....to summarize my rant :oops: :oops:
Gay people are PEOPLE. They feel the same way we do, they think the same way we do, they act the same way we do, and they have the same desires and dreams that we do. Some people just should just accept it, and stop acting like they're less than us.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 pm

I know several gay couples and they have been with their partners longer then married couples I know. So there goes the argument that they are all promiscuous.
Everyone should should keep their nose out of other people business. They're not hurting other people.

Desdemone

thoughts from experience

Post by Desdemone » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 am

:cool: In my own experience, I've seen wonderful people who make great soldiers who are gay and a few who are bisexual who would most likely end up in institutions of some sort. My fathers family has been military for as long as they can tell, so heres my insight. On reading the more personal history practices of the best armies, you find most of the men were encouraged for homosexual practices to keep them moving faster in battle , i. e, no women needed to slow them down. Now that fanatism is allowed blatantlly to bring judgements on people in the news and in courts, many organizations tend to blame the easiest to see. If there were easier targets, then homosexuals would be just ignored.

Return to “Political Material”