And from our "take a class in sensitivity" column

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

And from our "take a class in sensitivity" column

Post by Helen8 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:54 am

From yesterday's LA Times:

His invite takes the sexist prize

An outback mayor's plea for lovelorn and unattractive women to move to a remote mining town to alleviate a shortage of eligible women has won him Australia's yearly award for outrageous sexism.

Mount Isa Mayor John Malony infuriated women in August by saying that "with five blokes to every girl, may I suggest that beauty-disadvantaged women should proceed to Mount Isa" in northwest Queensland state.

When complaints were raised, Malony said, "The protesters are blaming me for their looks."

Um? Mr. Mayor? Like. Get a clue.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 9078.story
Last edited by Helen8 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:53 pm

I wonder if he thought he'd made his comment acceptable with his euphemism for 'homely'.

The Ernie Awards are hilarious (and guaranteed to exist for many years sadly). I'd love to be one of the jeering women in the audience.
http://www.watoday.com.au/national/full ... -6day.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Awards

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks, Mariagare, for sharing the rest of the recipients.

Industrial - Prof Mark Wooden, University of Melbourne, for saying "The pay equity gap has got a lot to do with the fact that women are not prepared to work longer hours,'' at a discussion dominated by women.

Did he make it out alive?

Clerical - Archbishop Peter Jenson for his comment: "The consecration of women bishops is against biblical teaching,'' shared with the Reverend Mark Driscoll, who said "Pastors sometimes stray because their wives let themselves go.''

:shock:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:39 pm

"Pastors sometimes stray because their wives let themselves go.''
What a dick. :roll:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:54 pm

An outback mayor's plea for lovelorn and unattractive women to move to a remote mining town to alleviate a shortage of eligible women
Hard to imagine why there might be a shortage . . . :roll:

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:19 pm

What a bunch of princes, huh? Ya know, cuz they're just so fuckin handsome I can't even think about them without touchin myself!!! :spew2

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 pm

::rofl Cissa!!

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:33 am

Sorry everyone, sometimes I get mad and engage my mouth before my brain :oops: I don't usually have such a filthy mouth.

My mind however, is another matter. ;-)

Desdemone

omg! rofl

Post by Desdemone » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:14 am

Being a single woman who has no current boyfriend, and not because of my looks, I'm rocking and rolling with laughter. It seems to me that one man saying harsh things about women anywhere is desparately trying to get some or hide something.... lol. And I'm not implying hes homosexual. This isn't the first attempt of a politician to get women for free for hard labor. And believe me , it's hard labor for any gal going to that place. I once heard some guy advertising for a women to come to him, saying to put a bag over her head , he wouldn't mind. Now that's really a turn on....hahahahah. o yea , i can see the women rushing to him. I hope you all see my dry humor point. Women aren't fools or dumb animals. And that guy just made both out of himself.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:31 pm

some guy advertising for a women to come to him, saying to put a bag over her head , he wouldn't mind.

I would have showed up with a bag over my head . . . as well as a bag for him to put over his. The jerk.

Return to “Political Material”