What is up with First Pets?

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

What is up with First Pets?

Post by marilaine » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:54 am

I just want to know. Why is it whenever we elect a new prez, they automatically adopt a dog as "FIRST PET"? :scratch
Clinton decided to break that tradition and adopt a dog,"Buddy", and their cat,"Socks" didn't like him, and took a clawed strike at the pooch.
I'm just curious as to why is it tradition, who started it all, and why not break with it, and get like a bird, or hamster, or ferret (Sorry, Draco.....no insult to you, dear boy! ;-) )
~M'L(C) :stirrer *conjuringupbetterideas*

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm a cat lover - (have several) but I'll be the first to admist dogs make better photo opportunities. Also many of the "first pets" I've read about were not sudden addoptions - they either owned pets all along and one died or they decided to get another. There have been many different pets in the white house - even a horse - but face it - some of the most memorable photo's are of President's and their dogs (Nixon, Ford, LBJ, -- and how many times did we see both Bush presidents being greeted by their dogs. They make good photo ops and are great for the kids to grow up with. Somehow I can't imagine the hamster photo being well remembered.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah. Rodents don't encourage warm, fuzzy feelings. Eek!!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Now Vice President Elect Joe Biden is getting a german shepperd puppy. I guess for all the politicians it's supposed to make them look more like everyday people.
Beside, who was that said "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog" I rest my case.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:10 am

Well said! Lets start a petition suggesting ferrets!
Although my own little Carpet Sharks always consider themselves "first", and therefore feel that if anyone deserves life in the limelight, its them! I'm imagining hammocks with the presidential seal...

But I happen to think that kitties are very photogenic, look at Crookshanks! :D

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:29 am

Joe Biden has had three other German Shepards. Give the guy a break - the dog is the only creature that will always love him!!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Don't get me wrong. I like Joe Biden. In fact I voted for him in the primeries. I really should have explained that at this time of the year it's dog, dog, dog. Oh, and a cat here and there.

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Well I have five cats - three are adopted from local animal shelters - so I'll try to make up for the politicos!!!

;-)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:38 pm

the dog is the only creature that will always love him!!

Reminds me of a quote from Sir Winston Churchill:

Dogs look up to you.Cats look down on you. And pigs look at you as equals. :shock:

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:44 am

So true... about pigs that is. Actually the parts about cats and dogs too, but pigs are shockingly intelligent. I grew up on a farm and we had one, Alfie. Although I would describe Alfie as more of the Casanova type, he could make anyone love him. He often adopted all our orphaned lambs every spring, and brought them to us when they needed their bottles. Such a paternal guy! I kept thinking what a shame it was that we had no sows, as they would have just fainted over him the way we do when we see pics of JI and his girls. :stalker

Not that I am likening us to sows, or anything... :oops: although ya shoulda seen me this Thanksgiving!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 pm

When I still had my house I had 2 cats and a dog. But they all died within 2 years of each other. Then I moved and the condo assoc. doesn't allow pets and I miss them.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:30 am

I feel your pain, grannybear. I can't imagine life without a cat.

JScarlet

Post by JScarlet » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:55 am

Why not a horse? They make wonderful pets!!!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:45 pm

They scare me.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:48 pm

. . . and horses are hardly condo candidates--the big ones, anyway, need loads of space.
Also a pal--they get anxious on their own. Though it sounds like Alfie would have put most at ease . . .

Return to “Political Material”