And the good news just keeps on coming . . .

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

And the good news just keeps on coming . . .

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 pm

US quashed report on dangers of phone use while driving

WASHINGTON — The federal agency tasked with keeping US roadways safe suppressed research seven years ago on the dangers of cellphone use while driving, fearing political fallout from the study, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) opted against making public hundreds of pages of data it had compiled on the dangers of "multitasking" behind the wheel -- particularly texting or talking on a cellphone while driving -- because of concerns about angering members of Congress, the daily wrote.

Read on for the statistics . . .

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... Y0dWqpOnNA

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:00 pm

We've read over the years about the dangers of cell phones and cars and several states have passed laws banning it but this is the first time I've heard about the government suppressing the reports. That's sick. My goodness, who can you trust? And why am I not surprised?

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:38 pm

I can't remember how long ago but Mythbusters did a thing where they compared people who'd had a few drinks with those trying to use their cellphones while driving and found that those with the cellphones were just as "impaired" behind the wheel as those near the legal limit.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:24 pm

those with the cellphones were just as "impaired" behind the wheel as those near the legal limit.

When we get cut off or stuck behind a car weaving, one of us looks back to invariably see the driver on a cell phone. Which, I might add, is against the law here in CA. But the 20 buck fine hasn't deterred any of them, and because of the budget mess, there are fewer CHPs patrolling the freeways. :roll:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Saaay, Helen, that sounds like a logical connection to me--*cellphone use fine + budget mess*

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:19 am

Uh,oh! Here we go again.....more useless uses for our budget.
Just ticket them, make them pay a fine, and get it over with.....
Of course, there are people who haven't paid other FINES here, so it may not work.
BOLLOCKS!

~ML :bat

Return to “Political Material”