We now have a title for book 7!!!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

We now have a title for book 7!!!

Post by Helen8 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

NEW YORK (AP) -- We now have a title for Book VII: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic Inc., released a brief statement Thursday announcing the name of the world's most anticipated children's book, the finale to her phenomenally popular fantasy series.

No publication date or other details were offered. Rowling is still working on the book, she explained on her Web site in an entry posted early Thursday.

"I'm now writing scenes that have been planned, in some cases, for a dozen years or even more," she wrote. "I don't think anyone who has not been in a similar situation can possibly know how this feels: I am alternately elated and overwrought. I both want, and don't want, to finish this book (don't worry, I will.)"

Rowling said she has been asked for years if she ever dreams she is in the boy wizard's world.

"The answer was 'no' until a few nights ago, when I had an epic dream in which I was, simultaneously, Harry and the narrator," she wrote.

"Perhaps I should cut back on the caffeine?" she joked.

Rowling also said she saw a 20-minute preview of the fifth Harry Potter film, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which she said "looks fantastic." The latest movie in the blockbuster series will be released in July.

Meanwhile, she set up a test for her Potter fans if they want to find the title for themselves.

If you go to her home page, click on the eraser and you will be taken to a room -- you'll see a window, a door and a mirror.

In the mirror, you'll see a hallway. Click on the farthest doorknob and look for the Christmas tree. Then click on the center of the door next to the mirror and a wreath appears. Then click on the top of the mirror and you'll see a garland.

Look for a cobweb next to the door. Click on it, and it will disappear. Now, look at the chimes in the window. Click on the second chime to the right, and hold it down. The chime will turn into the key, which opens the door. Click on the wrapped gift behind the door, then click on it again and figure out the title yourself by playing a game of hangman.

Or you can just take Scholastic's word for it.

The Harry Potter books have sold more than 300 million copies and have been translated into 63 languages.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/1 ... index.html

Yay!
Helen

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:30 pm

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."
:scratch

As long as "Deathly Hallows" means "long scenes in which Lucius Malfoy gets to chew the scenery", I'm down with that.

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:18 am

The title confuses me a bit in that anything hallowed is holy....that is what I have always thought. So I am just wondering what exactly are the "Deathly Hallows??" Oh well, time will tell!!

And I am with you Hilary...if any of it means more Lucius I am more than up for it!!

Hugs,
Kate

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 am

Kate, I had the same question as you when I read the title. So, like a good editor, I checked Websters. Seems we Americans use it only as a verb: to make holy, sanctify, venerate.
My OED has it as a noun also: holy person, saint.
So, I'm thinking, deathly saints?
Will release date ever get here???

Helen

Malfoy Grandma

Book 7

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:29 pm

:roll:Rowling also says 2 will die! Should we start a betting/guessing pool? I hope the deadguys are Voldemort and Harry! Not that I wish Harry the ultimate bad, but Rowling has intimated previously that he dies, so maybe she was telling the truth or just kidding. She said it was because she did not want to be begged for more about him. Pick your dead guys, ladies! And of course we hope it's not lovely Lucius!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Make no mistake, there won't be any kittens and rainbows in this one. The title oozes foreboding.

Malfoy Grandma

Grandiose Titles!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am

:twisted: I have this stupid criticism of the choice of titles for the last Harry Potter! Is putting the equivalent of "Holy Place" in this title supposed to elevate Potter stuff to biblical proportions? I find it somewhat off-putting. Maybe the publishers think they can convince the pseudo-christian folks in Georgia and other places trying to keep Potterdom out of school libraries that all that magic and stuff is really very blessed! Hocum! They get as bad as the pseudos when they pull that stuff.

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”