Dumbledore was gay. I wish it had been in the books.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Moira

Dumbledore was gay. I wish it had been in the books.

Post by Moira » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:05 pm

A British friend emailed me, and said that Rowling has said that Dumbledore was once in love with another wizard.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 20,00.html

I wish this had been included in the books. Considering the series' huge audience and huge impact, it would have done a lot towards opening the way for non-heterosexual kids to feel included in the Harry Potter phenonmenon. Perhaps Rowling will include this in a future story.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:29 pm

I can't say I'm surprised about the revelation, and I think you can sort of read into the last book to get some clues about it. The way the man at Bill's wedding talked about Dumbledore was clearly the way somebody talks about a lover or crush or whatnot. The letter to Gellert from Dumbledore, to me, definitely implied some type of "more than friends" relationship between the two. I don't think there needed to be anything more written about it, necessarily, because it would be too much of a tangent from the main point of the book, which was Harry's mission. The last book especially had too many tangents as it was, in my opinion...

I think this is a great opportunity to have a hero who is so multi-faceted, that anybody and everybody can look up to and respect. I say kudos to JK for letting us know this!

-Foodie

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Sprog avers it was in the books.
I think it did sort of creep into his cinematic presentation.

I love the idea of him carrying on a spirited correspondence with Gandalf :D .

malfoygrandma

Read today's OPUS (Nov. 25)

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:45 am

;-) Marvlously funny! Cartoonist Berkeley Breathed reveals that his OPUS is gay, and chides a certain "big-time author" for recently revealing that Albus Dumbledore "shares the same secret harbored by this charming little scamp beloved by millions for over a quarter century: and is forced to draw duct tape over the penguins beak to silence him. Then goes on "J.K.Rowling is a lily-livered literary chicken", and OPUS, having loosened his taped beak says, guess who shaves his back! Wonderful! Also a picture of Garfield, and implying the cat has the same unmentionable situation as OPUS and Dumbledore!

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:40 pm

Personally, I'm indifferent about the revelation. Dumbledore's sexuality matters a little in the end, it hadn't been included in the books, it's not the focus...but that's my opinion. There are those who may think different from me. :P

Also a picture of Garfield, and implying the cat has the same unmentionable situation as OPUS and Dumbledore!
GAHAHAHA! I love Garfield, now that was funny.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Well now I will have to disagree about Garfield. John (inept and quite lovably dense as he is) is dating a Vet. I'm sure no self respecting vet would date a person's who's indoor/outdoor male kitty was not neutered. Being particularly sensitive to pet over population issues I'd have to put my foot down and say Garfield has been neutered and cares most about food and sleep.

Penguins - well I can't say much about that so fine - I have no probs with Opus being gay!

Dumbledor - hey whatever - as long as he (as well as any of the faculty - gay or straight) kept their hands off the kids - what he does in his spare time is his own business!

;-)

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”