my hbp review

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Chari910 wrote:I went last evening.

That was a 'New' Lucius photo we've never seen before. Anyone think so too?
It does look good.

Ginny is growing up to be a beautiful girl, she is way taller than Harry from the premiere pics.

The teens in the theater laughed and giggled at all the funny adolescent stuff.
Snape finally found a good 'Potion' for his hair.
Dumbledore's send-off was less than satisfying. Can't they do something with all those wands?? I kept waiting for the Dark Mark to blow up.

I don't think Draco is as cute now..Marianne, please don't hit me... :cool:

I'll go again when it's on IMAX
Yes, Severus' hair looked much sleeker in the "Unbreakable Vow" scene...
must've been using Lucius' shampoo. :lol
(Just wait until LM hears about this......"Put that down Severus....we don't touch things that do not belong to us, do we?")

~ML :twisted: ;-) :cool:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Finally watched it. All in all the movie is okay, but it lacks something and I was a bit annoyed by the whole 'teen hormone' thing.

Love the pic of Lucius in the Daily Prophet, wish there was more of Mr. Malfoy in the movie :adore

~me

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:37 am

I've seen the HBP 4 times (yes, I know I lead a sad, sad life) now and while I still enjoy it (and now know when to take bathroom breaks), I've got questions/comments I wish I could ask the writer and director.

- What's up with Narcissa's hair?
- Why have a radio and Daily Prophet news story about continuing search and rising death toll when the CGI clearly shows the pedestrians having somehow escaped before the Millenium Bridge collapsed?
- Can I just say Ginny tying Harry's shoelaces made me want to puke. Sorry, I never bought that all of a sudden Harry was attracted to Ginny since there was no lead up in the books or in the previous movies. Harry had more chemistry with Hermione and Luna ... heck, Harry had more chemistry in the movie with Draco, the way he would stare at him (sorry, couldn't help bringing up my OTP).
- Why burn down the Burrow? Harry runs out after Bellatrix, followed by Super Ginny ... wow they are so made for each other :/
- Has the Malfoy account at Gringott's been frozen that Draco is now reduced to wearing that suit (it looks like he's been wearing it since GoF) all the time?
- I really dislike that Hermione's search for the Half-Blood Prince was given short shrift for the romance, so that when Snape tells Harry at the end that he is in fact the HBP, it's just meh.
- I really missed Moaning Myrtle not being there to scream "murder in the bathroom." Was Shirley Henderson unavailable for a couple of days work? Would actually having lines mean she would get paid more than Timothy Spall, who got great billing for just opening a door, and Gemma Jones, both of whom had no lines.
- So Ginny knows all about the Room of Requirement (she really is Super) that she leads Harry there, has him close his eyes and hides the Potions book for him then kisses him tenderly. Okay ... um, if it were just Harry going to the RoR and hiding the book, they could have shown Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem (hint, Deathly Hallows). This is just my opinion but isn't Harry a teenage boy with only one prior experience in kissing a girl (who happened to be crying over her recently deceased boyfriend) and yet he somehow manages to be smooth and not at all inept (it's been a very long time since I was a teen but is that realistic or maybe I was unlucky?) ... my guess is the men behind HP are re-imagining their youth. ;-)
- Did JKR really okay Draco being marked? In the book it's vague, no real proof other than Harry stating so.
- Why have Harry say that Draco was lowering his wand, when it could have been shown?

marianne

PS: Rest easy, I have no plans to throw tomatoes at any of you who dislike Draco or don't find him attractive.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 am

I've been wondering the same thing...LOL

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Angel Tavington wrote:Finally watched it. All in all the movie is okay, but it lacks something and I was a bit annoyed by the whole 'teen hormone' thing.

Love the pic of Lucius in the Daily Prophet,
wish there was more of Mr. Malfoy in the movie
:adore

~me
Hear, hear.
~ML :bawl (cryingoverLMbeinginAzkaban)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Okay, Marianne. I've only seen it once, so far, but here goes:

We all pretty much hate her hair and have no idea what up wit dat.

clearly shows the pedestrians having somehow escaped before the Millenium Bridge collapsed?
Yup! Noticed that, too. Might have been some other encounters between Deatheaters and Muggles that ended badly, but they didn't want to show it and lose the PG rating. My guess.

all of a sudden Harry was attracted to Ginny since there was no lead up in the books or in the previous movies.
Of course, I haven't read OotP in a while, but wasn't there some googily-eyes between Harry and Ginny on the Quidditch team?

Why burn down the Burrow?
Agree! What was Steven Koves thinking? What was Rowling thinking that she was okay with it?

wearing that suit (it looks like he's been wearing it since GoF) all the time
Didn't notice. Maybe daddy's being incarcerated has stopped the cash flow.

I really dislike that Hermione's search for the Half-Blood Prince was given short shrift for the romance,
Yeah. I complained about that somewhere here, too.

I really missed Moaning Myrtle
I can take or leave her. But I do like the actress.

So Ginny knows all about the Room of Requirement
Isn't that where the DA met? So, she would.

Harry a teenage boy with only one prior experience in kissing a girl
Ahhh. But, the Chosen One may have special powers . . .

Did JKR really okay Draco being marked?
Does it matter? This movie diverged the most from its book. We can look forward to the Deathly Hallows movies leaving nothing out to fill two 2½-hour movies!

Why have Harry say that Draco was lowering his wand, when it could have been shown?
I don't remember that scene.

dislike Draco or don't find him attractive.
He was really cute in Sorcerer's and Chamber, but he's going through adolescence and an incredible growth spurt, which has left his features fighting with each other, poor boy.

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm

wasn't there some googily-eyes between Harry and Ginny on the Quidditch team?
Can't remember.

Isn't that where the DA met?
:oops:

No 5th viewing unless it's on IMAX and that won't be till the end of the month. I guess I'll just have to rely on Gerard Butler's charms to get me through this self imposed exile from HBP

marianne

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 am

Isn't that where the DA met?
:oops:
Don't be embarrassed, Marianne. It's surprising that my Swiss-cheese memory retained that.

I'm passing on the IMAX showing. Saw GoF on IMAX and mostly remember being nauseated from all the movement and the constant looking around to see everything. Perhaps a scapolamine patch?

the Half-Blood Prince was given short shrift for the romance
Yeah, instead of calling it that, they should have called it, Harry Potter and the New Potions Professor, for all the airtime Slughorn got.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:57 am

What I didn't get about that scene was: If Ginny and Harry was going to hide the book in the RoR, why did Harry come along? Wouldn't it be better for Ginny to say: "You stay here, I'll go and hide your book" But of course, her motivations maybe wasn't just to hide the book...

...more like :"Let's go to the Room of Requirement and make out"
;-)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:32 am

I'm passing on the IMAX showing. Saw GoF on IMAX and mostly remember being nauseated from all the movement and the constant looking around to see everything
Personally I love IMAX movies (love 3-D Imax movies even better). I watched the Dark Knight when I was in Canada last year, it looked truly amazing! Now...imagine Lucius in 3D... :brows

~me

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”