Harry Potter Exhibit Times Square NYC

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

LadySekhmet

Harry Potter Exhibit Times Square NYC

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:27 am

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone is interested, but the Harry Potter Exhibit has returned to New York City at the Discovery Times Square exhibition space (I also don't know how many folks are close enough to NYC to want to drag their families to it). It's running from November 3 to April 7. I have no idea what it's like. But since we seem to have some Potterheads on the board, I thought that I would share. Happy Pottering!

Here's the information link:
http://www.harrypotterexhibition.com/

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Harry Potter Exhibit Times Square NYC

Post by Helen8 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks, Lady Sekhmet. Looks really interesting and fun. :wheee
I hope it'll be closer to the West Coast in the future.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 pm

I saw it a few years ago in Chicago, it was wonderful. I wonder if it's the exact same, or if they make changes for each city...? LN

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I would suspect it is the same set of objects unless something needed to be replaced or conserved. Objects that go out on museum tours are specifically curated, listed and insured. Travel cases and interior packing materials are carefully built and created to make sure the individual objects are specific one to one fits in the cases. And the cases and displays on which and in which objects sit are also made to order. Almost all travel cases are bespoke. If objects need to be replaced then they would be but only after the curators in charge of the exhibit approves of the changes. Plus each exhibit venue has to sign a contract with the object's home institution (probably WB in this case?), and I would assumed that there is a list of what is put into place when the exhibit is set up and a list of things that are taken off display when they are packed up - to make sure nothing wandered off while on display (in other words no one should be ogling Lucius' cane while it's on tour and wondering if they can stuff it in their backpack...*cough* Jason *cough* ;^) ) This is a pretty much standard industry wide for travelling exhibits. If they did decided to change up items, they could do it, but they probably wouldn't do it for each city as it would cost $$$$. Plus you wouldn't want to have to change the weights too much or the travel/packing space the boxes would take up in planes and trucks, because that would also cost $$$. Putting on a travelling exhibit is expensive - even for Warner Brothers- even if they aren't ancient objects, they still have to be treated and curated as art objects at this point. If the objects are on the road a very long time, perhaps they would decide to give the show a face lift. Even the most recent King Tut show's objects remained exactly the same between UK, Germany and the US for several years (I spent several hours giving private tours of it while it was here and each Tut object is burned into my brain, so much so that I can still recite them - so just glancing at the object guide from Germany and the one from the US, I know they had the same objects). But there could be one or two travelling exhibits happening at the same time in the world and going to different places, if that is the case then the objects could very well be different, because it would a different show, even though it is part of the larger touring HP Exhibit family (they did something similar for the Tut exhibit in...2009? - they introduced a 2nd show into the mix). But then... perhaps WB has a different sensibility in regards to their objects and they dance to their own beat. Hmm... I hope that larger explanation made sense.

Best Friend and I are going to augment our NYC Christmas Shopping day with a spin through the exhibit later in December. I'm pretty curious about how it will show - as I'm sort of an ancient art/culture exhibits kind of gal. :^)

ln419

Post by ln419 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 pm

hahahahahahaha! *cough* Jason GOT his cane and wand (of his own creationthankyouverymuch), the girls broke it within a week, and WB replaced it once, so I don't think you have to worry about that cane/wand. What they have to worry about is the WIG, it's the glorious mane HE has his baby blues on! Oh, LS, you just crack me up me! So are you going to look for that marvelous Nimbus 3000 shovel? LN
*You are always just such a font of knowledge. I too have vast stores of knowledge, just in more obscure um...stuff! :hug

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:40 pm

So, the Harry Potter exhibit was very fun, but *very* short. Best Friend and I didn't get the audio tour, which might have slowed us down a bit (and I mean that in a positive way), however, we didn't speed through. We read all of the signs and looked at all of the objects.There were lots of very cool things to look at in the show. There were only a few of Snape's and Lucius' items. They had Lucius' red brocade waistcoat outfit, black furry cape-y thing with the serpent brooches, the (ugly) fur hat, and the snake cane - but no Death Eater robes or mask for him :^( , as well as Snape's robes, wand, some of the potions things. There were some things for Bellatrix and Sirius and Prof. McGonagall, and even Buckbeak! We did try to dawdle over some things, but there was a Horde of Ravening Beasts...I mean... Small Boys threatening to stampede over us. And then suddenly we were standing in the (hideously) overpriced gift shop, and I was so confused that I approached one of the docents and said, "Is this it? There's no more?" Best Friend and I did the math and it worked out to be about $1 per minute that we were in there (we paid about $25 because we found a deal on-line). Originally we thought we'd be in there for at least an hour or more - because we've been to shows in that space before and they've been packed with goodies to see, so I'm glad that I didn't pay more than $27 for the show - simply because it was so short. Other than that - it was great fun!

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”