When worlds collide; (tangential) HP trivia

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

fruitbat

When worlds collide; (tangential) HP trivia

Post by fruitbat » Tue May 12, 2015 11:45 am

Some of you may know that in addition to being a huge Jason Isaacs fan, I am also a fan of actor Richard Armitage. However, I don't know if I've ever mentioned the object of my longest fan-hood, Bruce Springsteen. I've been a fan since I was 14 years old and I first heard the song "The River" on the radio. I recently came across a fan-site/forum filled with hard-core Bruce fans and have discovered that there is a ton of material that was never released but often performed live by The Boss. There are also songs that were never performed publicly and, if recorded, only a handful of copies were made; the rarities. One of these songs is referred to as "The Harry Potter Song".
Springsteen wrote this ballad sometime between 1998 and 2000. He was inspired by Harry Potter books that he was reading to his youngest son Sam. This is not a children's song however. Sometime in early 2001 Springsteen made the song available to director Chris Columbus, who at the time was shooting the first of the Potter movies. A Springsteen recording of the song was filed with the US Copyright Office on 13 Jun 2001. However, the Springsteen song was ultimately rejected due to Harry Potter novelist/creator JK Rowling's contractual stipulation that no commercial songs of any type be used in the Harry Potter film series. Warner Bros Music President Gary LeMel, who was involved in the Potter music, was asked by USA Today about this Springsteen song but said he preferred not to comment publicly. In doing so, he seemingly verified the basic truth in the story.
(Thanks for indulging; I have the morning off and I am waiting for the dryer to stop :D )

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Re: When worlds collide; (tangential) HP trivia

Post by Marie » Tue May 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Interesting. I knew JKR only wanted UK actors in the movies but had not heard that about commercial songs. Thanks fruitbat!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Here's the song.

Hm, I love Bruce, but I don't know if this would have worked anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bDEK1QqdK0

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:22 pm

I couldn't play the video. :-(
Something about copyright, I think.... :roll:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm

It was taken down this morning. :-(

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Well. Shoot! :roll:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:16 pm

The lyrics. The only thing HP about it is the word "goblins".

I'LL STAND BY YOU ALWAYS [{Transcribed and researched by SpringsteenLyrics.com}]

Studio version

Two, three, four

You wake me in the night and your tears falling down, come let me dry them for you
I wish I could tell a story, chase away all those ghosts you've got inside of you
A story of heroes that fight on at any cost of a kingdom of love to be won or lost
We'll fight here together 'til victory is won, come take my hand 'til the morning comes
Just close your eyes

I'll stand by you always, always, always

I know here in the dark tomorrow can seem so very far away
Here the ghosts and the goblins can rise from your dreams to steal your heart away
Together we'll chase those thieves that won't leave you alone out from under the bed, out from over our home
And when the light comes we'll laugh my love about the things that the night had us so frightened of
And until then

Now I know it can feel like you're slipping away, at night you'll get lost in that deep dark place
We'll let the night come and do what it may, together we'll find the courage, we'll find faith
Until you awake

I'll stand by you always
I'll stand by you always

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks for that, fruitbat. Not terribly HP, but a nice song nevertheless.

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”