Computer Problems

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

grannybear

Computer Problems

Post by grannybear » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Is there any way a person can get good serivce on computer problems?
Had trouble with my laptop and after having the problem analysed at home I took it to where it was bought since it was still under warrantee. I bought it in on the 14th and got it back today. The problem was in the memory board and from my phone co. experience I know that the problem would have taken them all of 15 min to fix. I don't think they even touched it until I called on the 21st. I can just scream.
It seems you just can't get good service anywhere on anything.
There.........I've gotten it off my chest. Time to see whats in the fridge and chill out.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:50 am

Well, we're glad you got it sorted. It's good to have you back!
And I'm glad your FRIDGE still works!!!! :D

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Well, back in the shop two more times. In on June 30 and out on July 4. Back in on Thurs July 10 and this time they had me wait for it. Same problem. Freezes up and nothing moves. Have to shut down and then bring back up. 4 times on 10 minutes is too much. They say a software problem but so far haven't fixed it. Will see how it goes this time. Tempted to take an axe to it but then I'd have to buy a new one.
Would miss viewing the Board every day so I'd have to get a new one fast.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:57 pm

It sounds like you might have a spyware or malware problem, GB.

If the tech guys haven't already done it, try downloading the 30 day free trial of Ad-Aware and running that on your system. It's highly recommended as one of the best programs of it's kind on the market.

There's also the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, which I'd like to recommend and one we've previously used on our PC's here at work.

Good luck!!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:07 pm

That kind of analysis is free/cheap and easy to do, grannybear--sounds like a sensible first step to try!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks Gillian and Hillary. They loaded in Webroot SpySweeper with Anitvirus when I bought the laptop last year. When I had the trouble in April they thought they cleared the problem and also downloaded a new version of the software. Then I got an e-mail offering an upgrade so I took it and then the trouble started again. They took all that upgraded junk out and anything else that might possibly cause a problem. So I'll see what happens now. If I have trouble again I've made note of your suggestion and will try that. Thanks loads.
When ever I do an upgrade either on my old computer or the new one I always seem to have trouble later. I've vowed I'll just pass them by now. Just leave it plain and simple.

Tavington's ShadowMagnet

Post by Tavington's ShadowMagnet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:04 pm

I noticed that with upgrades/updates...it updates, and for awhile afterwards, everything seems to go mental! My husband told me to bypass the updates...I've done that, and things run just fine now. Wonder why that is? :scratch

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:57 pm

I've heard of other people having the same problem with updates. Where I have it repaired they also advised just to skip them.

My daughter has a MAC, Jasons favorite, and never seems to have any trouble. But then maybe she never tells me about them.,

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

I've got a Mac and let me tell you, your daughter knows whereof she speaks. They're easy to use, robust and aren't vulnerable like a lot of PC's.

Greatest thing since sliced bread, IMHO.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:32 pm

living with AOHELL, updates are DEADLY...LOL

I've learned the hard way to stay away from them....

I wish I could afford a MAC, I'd get one and use nothing else...
but, alas, I'm doomed to roam the corridors of a PC Laptop....LOL

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Maybe my next one wil be a MAC. Don't know why I didn't switch this time except my daughter said I'd have to relearn. Maybe it would have been worth it.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 am

your daughter is correct, switching from PC to MAC is difficult...

it's much easier to start with a MAC...

I remember when a MAC was the first computer that was decent...

I used to work for a software duplication company, and we used the old 3 1/2 disks, with MACS...

I've been thinking of a MAC for travel, because the new operating system for PC's is Vista, and I've heard nothing but BAD news
about it....

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:04 pm

I have Vista in this computer I have now. No choice. That's all they are offering. For my purposes it's OK since I really don't do anything but click on different subjects. If I was more into it or used it for work I might think differently. My old Windows 98 was just fine. The few differences between the two for me aren't worth the change over.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Well, here I am again. Computer went back to the shop on July 21 and just got it back yesterday. Same old thing. I was going to add in Gillians anti'virus suggestion but they decided to dump the whole works and run an updated version of Vista. So I'll see how that works.
I spent the rest of yesterday getting back on line and resetting up my e-mail. The process is easy but the support group for my ISP is in India and we have trouble communicating. I don't understand them and they don't understand me. I was on the phone 4 hours with them. 3 different times. I could just scream Enough to drive a person to drink. Any excuse. Now to catch up with the board. See Ya..........

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:21 pm

The process is easy but the support group for my ISP is in India and we have trouble communicating.
Don't you just love outsourcing? I went through the same deal until I switched to a local service provider. Since then I've had only one minor issue, plus it's $20 cheaper a month. You couldn't pay me enough to switch back.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, grannybear. I know how frustrating it can be.

Return to “The Bitch Box”