Just a thought!

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 am

grannybear wrote:The last i heard China was thinking of removing the cap on babies.
One problem they had is the boy babies grew up but there was a shortage of women for them.
Nobody could figure that out til now?
Do you know, I never even thought of that! But it's common sense really. I guess the powers that be in China didn't look at the long term outcome either.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 am

I think it has always been the tradition that first-born boys bring luck to the family in China. When the one-baby restriction was put in place, first-born girls didn't stand a chance. Now they're seeing the results.

Gilly_sirl

Post by Gilly_sirl » Wed May 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Yes, and how smart does someone need to be to figure out that, gee, if you kill/give away all the girls, you'll have a shortage of wives sooner or later? I hear that such practices are still in place (only child policy, baby girl murders/mistreatment): although I hate to say it, it makes you question their sense of logic!

As for the problem of poverty in relation to numerous families, I agree that education on birth control is essential. The problem is, many of these countries have been "colonised", and evangelised by Roman Catholics relatively recently, which makes them particularly zealous to apply its doctrines: new disciples are always the most eager, isn't it? So, of course, they'll view birth control with suspicion, and of course they'll let themselves be misinformed by any superstitious authority figure.

Be assured that my intention is not to attack anyone's religion. I just think that, unfortunately, personal beliefs often get in the way of good old common sense.

Return to “The Bitch Box”