Not really something to bitch about...

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

fruitbat

Not really something to bitch about...

Post by fruitbat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

.... but there is nowhere else to post what a facebook friend's update says. (I assume it notes two separate actions together in one post.)
Blank Blank likes Allow ALL rare foals in Farmville to grow up into their adult form! and STOP ALL REGISTERED SEX OFFENDERS FROM BEING ON FACEBOOK! on Causes.
The incongruity is a little bizarre but I suppose it shows a multi-faceted individual. Image

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Not really something to bitch about...

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:17 pm

One of the many reasons I don't have a Facebook page. :cool:

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:50 pm

You can click the little x on the right hand and select Ignore for certain applications. I have so much stuff ignored that some of my friends have appeared to fall off the planet.

Facebook is... I don't know. I've had a really rough weekend dealing with someone that couldn't handle me removing him from my friends. I've been hiding from him for a few weeks, from endless chatting about all his problems, and finally just turned the chat off all together and said OK cannot deal anymore.

Anyway, I deleted him probably Thursday or Friday, and then after an extremely late night on Friday, he started texting me Saturday morning, huge obnoxious texts, being paranoid and accusing me of random things because I removed him from my friends. I seem to get one or two of those a year for various reasons and I'm getting very tired of dealing with it.

Needless to say, that place right now is something that just makes me want to avoid social networking sites all together. I really miss the days when the internet was all message boards and instant messenger programs, which people seem to run screaming from anymore.

Aherm, I think I got that all out. I'll go stand in the corner now, or take a nap, lol.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Facebook is what you make of it. :D I'd estimate that 80% of my fb friends are cyber friends I "met" through another fandom, (Richard Armitage.) From that group I've really got to "know" some really good people including some very talented (and published!) authors.

A couple of weeks ago a bunch of us were online and watching The Sound of Music at the same time. (Well, I was half-watching it, half-watching something else.) One friend has set up a group of like-minded friends so we can "watch" broadcasts together. Next week I believe we will watch The Golden Globes and the following week we will likely watch Downton Abbey together. (We forgot all about group watching when DA premiered last night.)

I've "x-ed" all apps that have appeared and have "liked" only one page, the page that belongs to the (cyber)-friend who has set up her own beaded-jewelry business. I actually "hid" one friend who seems to be obsessed with Robbie Williams. Image

Photos are mainly of my very young niece and nephew, are viewable only by "friends" and are primarily for the benefit of cousins who don't see them very often. Image

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm

The most annoying thing on FB are the game requests and invitations. nuke.gif
This is my only complaint (for now). At least I don't have stalkers on FB like I used to have on myspace.

~me, the :cherub

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I love watching movies with online friends!! I had a Harry Potter fest a week or two ago with a friend of mine, rather than going to a local concert. I ended up skipping half of Phoenix to see Lucius though. ::rofl

Yeah it's amusing, the friends I actually have met in person are people I really don't like to speak online with, except for a few very close friends I've known almost for ten years.

I have a lot of friends from older message boards, about 2000-2003, especially the old official Iron Maiden board, who are like an extension of my family, and it's so nice.

I also ignore the games. I do surveys or stupid generator apps from time to time, but lately my statuses have all been posts about things like Ghostbusters quotes, my kitty, the snow or school-related, which is really the only important aspect worth dealing with on there anymore.

Myspace, I just gave up on. I had a profile for a very long time, but it got to the point of absolute ridiculousness and I just gave up. I only talked to maybe one or two important people on there anyway by the end.

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm not that fond of Facebook, either. I gave up on the games because it was a waste of time! I changed my last name because I'm not interested in friends from my past. I only really use it to keep in touch with some of the ladies who used to post in the Gary Oldman forum. They are a hoot and we exchange Christmas cards every year!

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 am

Well, you can never go wrong with Gary Oldman fans :D

It's been pretty easy to ignore it, I've been so busy this week I'm staring at the wall right now.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 am

Ah, I don't play Facebook games either and agree that they're a waste of time but I have a number of friends who do. There's a lot more interesting things to do on the net.

~me

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:04 am

Yeah, really. I'd rather spend my time here! :mrgreen:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Give that girl a lollipop!!!!!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 pm

fruitbat wrote:Next week I believe we will watch The Golden Globes and the following week we will likely watch Downton Abbey together.

We nearly broke facebook. We just watched the Golden Globes together. We were posting fast and furious during the red carpet broadcasts, so fast that some of us received warnings that our behaviour might be irritating. I suppose it prevents people being d***s and flooding pages with posts. :oops:

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Oh WOW... That makes me wonder about some of the people I've had as 'friends' on there in the past. I deleted one guy because he would post song lyrics and videos all the time... we're talking my entire wall was flooded with garbage. After he figured out I deleted him, he started flooding me with very inappropriate messages and I had to block him on several different places. :roll:

I just noodled around on Tumblr and painted my nails last night, it was good fun and I think there will be a lot of mileage out of the Christian Bale/Jesus jokes... :lol

I'm seriously debating deactivating FB completely for a while, just to take a break and get away from morons. I don't know if it will happen now that school has started though, which is aggravating.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 pm

I deleted one guy because he would post song lyrics and videos all the time... we're talking my entire wall was flooded with garbage. After he figured out I deleted him, he started flooding me with very inappropriate messages and I had to block him on several different places.
The good thing about the internet is that you can delete/block people by one simple click. Unfortunately, you can't do the same in real life.

Ah well.

~me

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am

I have already closed my Facebook applications for the reasons you have stated Sara. I had problems with a friend for the same reason.

Facebook does have it's uses, it's good for connecting with people and family, though it isnt for me.

Rose

Return to “The Bitch Box”