Not really something to bitch about...

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

SaraR

Re: Not really something to bitch about...

Post by SaraR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Usually, if you get a request, then you can click on the X and it will say block requests from sender? or a couple other levels. Sometimes you can just ignore it, or you can also go into the account settings to Applications and just disable all the games and stuff. I have so much stuff blocked, every time someone sends me a request it's blocked by me immediately because well, I hate Facebook as it is, so why should I want to get more involved? Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll try to figure out another way to block it and let you know :)

I'm actually having difficulty with people I know both in real life and online right now dealing with a trip I'm taking in a week. One of my favorite bands is finally coming to Chicago, which means an 8 hour train ride, hotel and missing work and classes, and I have a friend telling me no, they'll have a super short set because they keep loading bands onto the lineup, and then I find out from someone else no, this guy is wrong. I'm so tired of people being negative. It's almost like since he can't go or hang out, he's trying to make it as depressing as possible for me. Things like that REALLY piss me off. I don't understand why the minute something I care about pops up, my so-called friends have to be absolutely poopy about it. :rave

Oh well... *sigh*
I also can't stand the bad grammar on Facebook. I've actually put good friends on ignore just because their spelling is atrocious. Especially the friend who says 'toot sweet'. Sadly, I'm not making that up or exaggerating. He's nice, but he has NO reading/writing skills.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:43 pm

or you can also go into the account settings to Applications and just disable all the games and stuff
Much easier than blocking tons of requests. Thank you.

~me

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Not a problem. :)

They don't exactly make it easy to find and moderate some of those things.
I just wish there was a way to turn off the ads for the dating sites. I know that selling ads keeps it free, but I would be so much happier with relevant stuff popping up on my page. I don't need to be reminded I'm single and all that stuff, and that Mr. Right might be waiting right around the corner. It's bad enough they're on between insurance and mesothelioma commercials, but that's another thread in itself I guess... :shock:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:31 pm

SaraR, sorry to hear that your "friends" aren't being very friendly.
There are little Xs to the right of the ads on Facebook as well, and there are choices for why you're blocking them. I suppose if you hit enough of them, the software will "learn" to target your preferences more accurately.

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Well, it happens... One friend is notoriously hard to deal with. He's had a lot of health problems and his mom passed away. I posted something in reply to someone else on my wall, and he hops in and says oh you can stay with me if you want to, which was awkward, then wondered why I didn't answer him. He has very few social skills and I guess was expecting me to spend the entire time up there with him hanging out, which, honestly I have no desire to do. I don't feel like spending part of what I consider to be a 'vacation', the only one I'm going to get until the brief period this summer where I'm not taking an intensive graduate level art history course, on a pity mission to be nice to him, especially since there is a considerable amount of stress on this trip for other reasons...
He never gets it and always posts stupid things, tags me in stupid pictures, which I have to go back and untag, and I'm not really sure why I'm even friends with him...

My other friend is just grizzled and being a baby because he's been unemployed for a year, and instead of going and finding a job, which there ARE for him, he languishes around saying oh no well, I don't want to do that, I'd get bored.

I'm just looking forward to the museums and some frigging solitude. I'm taking movies for the train to watch on my laptop, and I'm going to enjoy my cold Chicago nights in my nice hotel room sleeping or writing or whatever.

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 am

I went to England in 2009 without telling my relatives who live in Essex. My aunt is 80 something and my two cousins are in their fifties. The last time I went with my mother, I couldn't do anything on my own! I was 42 at the time! My friend treated me to a week in Edinbrough, Scotland, which was fabulous, by the way. When I got back to Essex my mother told me to hurry home. I got home and found out that I needn't have rushed. We had to wait until one of my cousins had gotten home from work in the afternoon. My mother knew from the look on my face that I was fuming. My other cousin (male) and my mother took me to a mall. They would sit outside on the benches while I shopped! WHAAAAAAA????? How am I supposed to shop knowing they were waiting for me?

I couldn't go anywhere on my own. When we were in London we bought tickets for the London Eye. Instead of waiting to get home to tell my cousin my other cousin had to call her straight away!!!! HUH?!?!?!?!?

So, when I planned my trip in 2009 I told my relatives that I was going to visit a friend in Calgary. My friend picked me up at the airport and we took off to Bath the next morning. We were there for a couple of days. She took off home while I continued on to Cardiff, Wales. I visited a few other cities ON MY OWN!! It was wonderful. I knew where I wanted to go, but hadn't booked any hotel or transportation before hand. As soon as I got into a city I'd find an Information centre, have them book a hotel, go straight there, dump my things and take off! My friend picked me up at the train station and we spent a couple of days visiting a couple of historical sites before I came home.

I can't wait to do it again, but I think I'll take someone else with me because it sure was lonely! Oh, and I took 1310 photos!!!

SaraR, I envy your trip to Chicago! I was there in 1990 and LOVED all the museums! I'd like to go back to see Tyrannosaurus Sue! Is there any way you can tell your "friend" you've changed your mind about going? ;-)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 am

I went to England in 2009 without telling my relatives who live in Essex.
I envy you! I wanna go to England, my dream is to go to England. I will when I can afford it, it's only a matter of time. I plan to live abroad for several months for a study program.

~me

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 pm

"It's so good to hear from you Rose :hug

Thankyou Angel.

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh Jacq, I totally know what you mean about being stuck with people, that's one reason I was like HERG...
Actually, I haven't heard from either friend and probably won't bother contacting them when I'm there.
Ironically, a very close friend of mind that I haven't talked to in a while found me online last night, and we talked for a bit. Hopefully we'll get to hang out. He was my best friend for years and years until we just sort of drifted apart, and it will be SO nice to be able to hang out with him and some of his friends who have also become my friends. Not to mention they're also MY age, not 5 to 10 years younger, and semi-intelligent... hahaha.

I've been to Chicago several times. I live down in Missouri, so it's not very far away. I don't get to go often, and the choice of February isn't mine at ALL, but I'll take it. :) I'm getting a bit nervous about it, as one usually does before a big trip, but I'm really excited. I haven't posted much about the trip on Facebook at all, simply because I want to go and be independent.

I think sometimes other people get very unrealistic expectations when they know you are going to visit somewhere. It's one thing where you make plans with people you are very close to, who share similar interests and ideals of what a vacation/excursion should be, rather than those who want to impose their itinerary on you. I've had things like that happen in the simplest of things, even just 'hanging out' with friends here. I have/had one friend whose idea of 'going out' was to cart her 1 year old around to various shopping centers and spend money she didn't have. The child would cry all the time, and she would tell me all about how life should be, and it got to the point I just started being unavailable when she wanted to 'do stuff'. It's even more annoying when this same person then later posts she's going out for 'drinks with the girls', yet I was never invited. I got that crap from her all the way through college, so I just decided it wasn't worth it.

I plan on taking SO many pictures, I just hope the weather doesn't hurt my camera. I just got a brand new GORGEOUS camera bag that will do so well!!! Weeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get to go to Chicago again Jacq, it's a beautiful beautiful city :D

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:45 pm

It poured with rain when I was in York. I decided that I was going out to explore the city anyway. I could dry off when I got back to the hotel. I attached my hood to my raincoat and put up my umbrella. I'm so glad I did! It wasn't easy holding my umbrella with one hand and taking photos with the other! When I got back to the hotel I was drenched!

Sara, how awful of that friend who carted her baby around with you!I had a long time friend who always took the piss out of friends just so he could have a laugh or "impress" strangers. He never knew how much it hurt us. I finally had an aha moment where I realized I shouldn't have to put up with his demeaning insults. I was best friends with his wife and godmother to their son. I decided for my sanity to end the friendship, even severing ties with his wife and son. Their son was 5 and I was hardly ever included. Many people tried to talk me out of ending my friendship, but I thought it would be ridiculous for him to leave his house when I came to visit. If people can divorce their spouses why can't I end a friendship, I told them. A year later I moved to British Columbia from Ontario. The wife tried to get a hold of me through facebook, but I blocked her and changed my last name. It took me about 5 years to forgive him.

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:31 am

Oh man, that's pretty rough. :(
Yeah this was a girl I went to uni with. She's... a very negative person, and we only knew each other because of a mutual friend who basically used me to get through an honors photo course... :roll: It was actually super easy to just kind of fall off the planet, which I'm grateful for.

Yeah, this old friend that I might be seeing, it's been strange. We were very close for a number of years, and me being the idiot I was, I thought he had feelings for me. Turns out he didn't and we've kind of gone from talking all the time to maybe once every few months. It'll be okay though, that was 5 years ago and we've both grown up a lot, so that helps. It's kind of hard though, my sister hates him and I can't even say I might go hang out with him in Chicago, but eh whatever. She's all the way in San Francisco, so I don't really care what she thinks.

I just hope I can get a lot of interesting pics while I'm in Chicago, so there better be nice weather. :D I just wish I had a backup battery for my camera... I guess that'll be something else I can spend money on when I get back :lol :lol

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 pm

:shock: Oh gawd yes! Do carry extra batteries with you and photo card, too! My batteries died and I had to find a store that sold them! That was a waste of time and a nuisance!

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh yeah I have a whole little tin of memory cards, hahaha :) You can never be too careful, especially since I will shoot god knows how many photos just at the concert. That'll be ridiculous... Hopefully I'll get at least 500 of the main band, which, does sound a bit exorbitant, but I probably won't even be completely coherent for half the time. :shock:

I have a rechargeable battery and will take the charger with me. It holds a charge super well, so I'm not worried. I'll just pop it in the charger during the night or if I go back to hang out, and that should work. I'm taking my laptop too, so I can just put everything on my computer as soon as I hit stopping points, at least back in the hotel, so it should be pretty easy. :)

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 pm

So now one of my friends in Chicago has decided he DOES want to go to the museums with me, and he also has a ticket for the concert...

I'm just not sure how to tell him that I really want to just go by myself to the museums and spend some time with the art and artifacts free of any human companionship/burden. It probably sounds conceited, but at the same time, I really don't give a flying fart. I'm feeling so antisocial right now that even being online is grating on my nerves. :-(

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 pm

OOOooooohh NOOOOOOoooooo... :rave :bang :shh :huh :uhoh :pc

Return to “The Bitch Box”