Not really something to bitch about...

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Angel Tavington

Re: Not really something to bitch about...

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 pm

It's so good to hear from you Rose :hug

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 pm

I've simply blocked a couple of individuals whose posts I didn't care to read. I'm not sure, but I don't think they've been notified that I've blocked them--though I suppose they might have figured it out by now . . . :???:
DH enjoys keeping up with his family overseas via Facebook--and I like playing (and generally losing, these days :evil: ) Lexulous. :hit

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:34 pm

I went through today and deleted some people. It was really nice and liberating.
Like the girl who added me because she wanted to add my sister, so she would 'know someone' out in California who worked in a museum, but never talks to me, comments or anything else. I could care less, but I'm tired of hearing about her perfect life and how happy she is. People like that make all us supposed 'normal' people who are living 'normal' unexciting lives, feel pretty sad.

Social networking in general is a joke. I really do miss the days when you joined message boards to meet people with similar interests, and talked one on one on instant messengers or through emails so your conversations weren't up for the entire world to see. I miss those days. I really do. Life was so much simpler then. :roll:

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:34 am

I have made some wonderful friends through another forum. We exchange Christmas cards and I try to send them birthday cards, too! I have some of their email addys and have sent them disgusting and hilarius jokes and cartoons. I've had a difficult time with someone who has just ripped me to shreds in the last two days and I've found out that these ladies have my back! It's great to talk to people around the world. One lady has invited me to her home in Brazil!

I am so there with you SaraR about people and their perfect lives! I had a letter in one of my christmas cards from a young woman who had a baby and she described EVERYTHING this kid did! It went on for 2 pages with no spaces between the lines! Needless to say, I didn't send her a card the following year!

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:43 am

Oh wow Jacq, I hope you're doing all right now. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad past few days. :(

Yeah, the forum I met a lot of my oldest online friends at has been defunct for a number of years, since 2003 to be exact, and even now a lot of us still send cards when we can, there have been marriages, babies, deaths, it's been crazy.

We've done Secret Santa, had free form therapy groups, had political and ethical discussions... I really miss those days, even the trolls (ok not really, lol).

Half of those people are now on my Facebook, some of them I do like talking to, some I don't, but it makes it rough when you can't necessarily see what they're doing like something as stationary as a forum. *shrug* Facebook just makes it really hard and confusing, and well, ugh.

It does prove who your true friends are, in some ways though... there's that 'how did we meet' status going around, and one of my friends just posted he couldn't believe it's been 11 years since we met on that forum. In the time I've known him, and his wife, he's relocated to Vancouver, they got married, had 3 beautiful children, lost another and had a very full and happy life. I could go on and on, but at least some people make those stories worth it.

Yeah, the annoying people usually get the proverbial boot for me. I mean really, what would people think if I sent a 2 page letter about what Marek did? I think consideration, especially with matters of children and pets, needs to be taken... in every avenue of communication.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 am

I think part of our reaction to Facebook may be our age. :-|
The designers over at Facebook are in the news every other month or so, it seems, over security or privacy issues. They seem to believe that their users wish to stage their own reality series or something, with every detail of their lives posted for the world to see, complete with embarrassing photos, incriminating videos, and egregious grammatical and spelling errors. :shock:
There just seem to be an awful lot of people who have no notion of self-censorship, and whose idea of communication is just non-stop one-sided blather. Thankfully, I don't have "friends" who do this, but I've seen the posts reporting bathroom (really? it's news that you poop?) or bedroom activities, and I've also read about the people who lost jobs or never got 'em because employers read this crap.
Some things are evolving way faster than our ability to appropriately respond to them.

*Edited to add, but I do like playing Lexulous :mrgreen: *

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 pm

You mean you HAVE to use the bathroom Hilary??? :shock:

How incredibly Human.......

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 pm

On a serious note, I think the final straw came for me when a so called friend hacked my account and posted details about my private life on her page. Humiliated MUCH???

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:06 pm

I see all kinds of things on my Facebook feed. I have some friends who enjoy 'bathroom humor' or just taking 'glamour' pics in bathrooms (yeah no clue, they're a bit strange), and that sort of stuff. I have a girl on ignore who takes a picture damn near every day of whatever alcoholic beverage that is keeping her company.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but at the same time, a lot of the people doing this kind of garbage are a good 7 to 10 years younger than me, and were not around when Facebook was first activated, when you HAD to be in school, college actually, and it was much different then. It actually creeped me out and I deactivated mine after just a few weeks and didn't even use it again until about 2008 when I went back to school...

I hardly have any information, especially about what I think of my job or that sort of thing, anywhere online. I mean sure I talk to friends about it or gripe sometimes how I don't really feel like going to work, but wow, some people take it way too far, and this lack of social censorship and personal boundaries is going to come back and bite people in the ass, and I already know some people who are getting it pretty badly...

I think when it gets to the point your friends are getting into your profile and posting things, however juvenile or idiotic they are, you have to reevaluate and say ok, what the hell is wrong with you? There are practical jokes and then there is privacy invasion, and it is a f'n crummy feeling. I've been very lucky that no one really messes with my page since I don't leave it logged in when I'm at a computer in the photo lab or whatever, but there's always that possibility, and it freaks me out. Hell I even felt invaded when some kids added a radio station to my Pandora profile and it was playing Weezer... nuke.gif

The kids today don't know how to leave things ALONE. :dunce :furthermore

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:29 pm

I am fine with Facebook the way it is *snickers*
My only complaint is the great amount of requests (I won't take the time to delete all of them).

~me

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I just block all of them. Not the people but the requests. I have some friends who mostly play Farmville on there, I mean that is ALL they do, so I just don't even talk to them much anymore.
It's no biggie and there's no love lost, but it's taken a while to make people realize NOT to send requests to me.

Now event invitations... I get one almost every day, for shows around here that I probably won't go to... then I also get invited to stuff in Hamburg. It's like um, yeah, that's really going to happen. Let me hop in my private jet n bring my happy ass over to your little concert/party when I could be doing much more interesting stuff there. nuke.gif aaa.gif

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Event invitations are the worst ::rofl
I mean, I don't understand why people insist on sending them to me.
I like Facebook overall, but the 100000000000000 of applications and application requests are f*** annoying. Ugh. That's my rant for the day.

~me, the angel :cherub :mrgreen:

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I don't belong and have no intentions of joining. I may be missing out but then................

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:50 pm

no worries grannybear, you are not missing much... :D

I agree with Hilary, being a bit older, all this social networking stuff is new, doesn't interest me...

I do have a facebook page and also twitter, but I don't post very much...I enjoy reading all the info others post :cool:

on a side note, someone I know who uses a public computer, gave me a virus twice through her facebook page....never again!!
I don't answer or accept apps or requests...

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 am

WOW!! So someone else has noticed the bad spelling and grammar! My grammar may not be the best at times, but I do try to spell correctly. I remember my cousin's youngest son sent my mother a "thank you" note and we both couldn't read it because of the bad spelling! He was about ten! Simple words like "done"!
Has anyone watched Jay Leno's Jawalking? It's amazing how unintelligent people are! They could name the people from some reality show, but didn't recognize George Bush!! It's not just in the States, we have stoopid people in Canada, too! Yes, I purposely spelt "stupid" wrong. Leno has a game like Jeopardy where he asks three people questions. He had three of the wives from Orange County and they were unbelievably dumb! These were grown women in their, what, thirties and forties??? Talk about self obsessed! They were perfectly coiffed and manicured.
I got into Farmville and Yoville and I could not see what the fascination of them were. And, what's with "These people may have something in common with you" crap? I hit delete and I have to do it about ten times before all these people disappear before I hit delete on the next bunch!
SaraR, how do you block the requests on facebook?

Return to “The Bitch Box”