Jason to appear in "Stopping Power"

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Jason to appear in "Stopping Power"

Post by Chari910 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:05 am

Got this from Google

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Harry Potter" villain Jason Isaacs and Melissa George will star opposite John Cusack in the action thriller "Stopping Power." Cusack plays a man who races to rescue his kidnapped daughter. Isaacs will play Cusack's nemesis, and George will portray Cusack's girlfriend.

Filming will be in Berlin, Germany, beginning next month.

Yea! Another BIG project to look forward to.. except..does this mean he won't be able to do Brotherhood promotions again??? :-(

This will be directed by Jan De Bont (Speed, Speed2, Lara Croft, etc..)
and the last 51 minutes of the film will be one incredible car chase scene!!

Yep, it's gonna be BIG. Congrats, Jason :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 am

Great news, thanx so much Char....a terrific car chase scene, and that director has done "Die Hard"....I think he did the second Die Hard
I think U R right for not being able to promote Brotherhood, again...
Maybe we will see him do BH promotion at the beginning of next year,
when it runs on FX in the UK...
CONGRATS JASON, this is a fabulous role...great Director and Cast
At least he will be closer to home (London-Berlin)
Last edited by kjshd05 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 am

I adore John Cusack so I am just thrilled to no end to read this!!!! Thanks Char you made my day!!!!

Hugs,
Marie

malfoygrandma

Stopping Power!

Post by malfoygrandma » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:10 am

nuke.gif WOW! This might be a good one! with Char's great tip, looked it up and the description of the film says "for Jason Isaacs...this is a quality role that he can really get his teeth into...a true scowling villain...plays a lunatic criminal" from Total Film.com" Hope it is that good! Though I am not a racecarchase fan, I will be watching this one, and comparing it to that great Steve McQueen chase in "Bullitt." Cusack is very hot now and this is a possible biggie for our baddie! Director Jan DeBont has a great reputation and has directed plenty of big bad adventure/crime films! And as we know, our dear "Lead Foot" will be having a wonderful time!

AussieJo

Re: Jason's new movie project

Post by AussieJo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 am

Chari910 wrote:Got this from Google

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Harry Potter" villain Jason Isaacs and Melissa George will star opposite John Cusack in the action thriller "Stopping Power." Cusack plays a man who races to rescue his kidnapped daughter. Isaacs will play Cusack's nemesis, and George will portray Cusack's girlfriend.

Filming will be in Berlin, Germany, beginning next month.

Yea! Another BIG project to look forward to.. except..does this mean he won't be able to do Brotherhood promotions again??? :-(

This will be directed by Jan De Bont (Speed, Speed2, Lara Croft, etc..)
and the last 51 minutes of the film will be one incredible car chase scene!!

Yep, it's gonna be BIG. Congrats, Jason :D
Sorry to pour cold water on peoples' enthusiasm about this project, but JAN "Twister" DE BONT? MELISSA GEORGE?????

It doesn't sound encouraging. Hope he's getting paid big $$$$$.

malfoygrandma wrote:WOW! This might be a good one! with Char's great tip, looked it up and the description of the film says "for Jason Isaacs...this is a quality role that he can really get his teeth into...a true scowling villain...plays a lunatic criminal" from Total Film.com" Hope it is that good!
Could that have been sarcasm?

malfoygrandma wrote: Cusack is very hot now and this is a possible biggie for our baddie! Director Jan DeBont has a great reputation and has directed plenty of big bad adventure/crime films! And as we know, our dear "Lead Foot" will be having a wonderful time!
Cusack is hot? Don't think so, but he is definitely a cult favourite who deserves a decent film. De Bont is a bit of a joke.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:58 am

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ...

"No Stopping Jason Isaacs: Jason Isaacs, best known as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, Captain Hook in the 2003 Peter Pan, and the guy who killed all of Mel Gibson’s kids in The Patriot, joins the cast of the John Cusack thriller Stopping Power in the role of the villain. As an experiment, Isaacs will perform the role while asleep, with both hands tied behind his back."

Gotta love a mag with a sense of humor.

Thanks for the heads up, Char!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:09 am

And a variation from Reuters/Hollywood Reporter:

Duo a go for Cusack thriller "Stopping"

"Harry Potter" villain Jason Isaacs and Melissa George will star opposite John Cusack in the action thriller "Stopping Power."

Cusack plays a man who races to rescue his kidnapped daughter. Isaacs will play Cusack's nemesis, and George will portray Cusack's girlfriend.

The film is slated to enter production in Berlin next month. Jan de Bont ("Speed") directs.

Isaacs played the villainous Lucius Malfoy in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." George's credits include "Turistas" and "Derailed."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070822/peo ... pping_dc_1

Been a fan of Cusack's since Grifters. Have seen everything he's done before (some awful teenybopper stuff) and since.

Helen

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:38 am

Grifters was a fabulous movie. I still remember it vividly.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:52 am

I'm . . . afraid I'm with Aussie on this one.
This sounds suspiciously like the classic "rent-a-villain" role that Jason has spoken about trying to avoid. It did wonders for Alan Rickman's career in Die Hard, but the description of this whole project is giving me deja-vu.

And I can't help but think, oh wait, how can he film this while also working on Man with the Football and Shamrock Boy, not to mention Manchester United Ruined My Life???

Mm, not buying into this one yet.

('Course, he could always drop us a line and confirm or deny. . . BWAHAHAH!!!! Man I crack myself up)

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:01 pm

He DID deny Shamrock Boy at DW stagedoor.

It's an action movie..so don't expect noble things out of it. Still better than the few minutes roles he had in Nine Lives and Chumscrubber.

Man with the football is probably not true either, or he would have said something to us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Cusack is an AMerican test pilot vacationing in Europe. Jason plays a fleeing criminal (thief) whole stole his RV and the daughter was inside. So I guess he kept her a s a hostage.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 pm

He DID deny Shamrock Boy at DW stagedoor.
Yeah, and that was part of my point: that was on his IMDb entry for ages.
I just think this sounds a lot like Speed, or the Die Hard series, or Ransom, or . . .
and I'm so not thrilled with it that I am stuffing my fingers in my ears and singing "la la la" until it goes away.
So there.

Those of you who have been around a while (she says euphemistically) may also recall however how much I loathed Jeremy Sumpter until I saw Peter Pan, and that I was quite ready to run Josh Hartnett over with my own personal vehicle until I watched Black Hawk Down.
I didn't, after all, choose my old username, Hilary the Disgruntled, for its alliteration.

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:56 pm

OK Hilary - now you have me suspicious as well. From the description it does not really sound like John's type of movie. I don't think he has ever done an adventure movie (although he has done mystery/crime.)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Hey, Nic Cage started out in some kind of smaller, quirky films as well--anybody remember him in Raising Arizona? Maybe this is just the usual commercial role arc.
I'm not claiming to know a damn thing.
I'm just bein' cranky. :furthermore

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm going to be positive about this (and the hell with the rest!) If Jason and John Cusack are in it - I say it will be well worth watching! I'd also like to think it is genuine (I thought Hollywood Reporter was more careful - than randome postings to imdb in the way of announcing new projects.)

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:28 pm

The news is everywhere...ComingSoon.net, JoBLo, Rope of Silicon, Can Mag, etc.

I do believe it's the real thing, and yes I'll be positive and supportive of his decision to do it...

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”