Happy Thanksgiving Day, Canucks!

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Happy Thanksgiving Day, Canucks!

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:11 am

Here's wishing safe travel, minimal family drama, and properly handled food for all! :D

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:32 am

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all our Canadian friends!!!!

(Wow this is making me think ... it's October and the US Thanksgiving is near and then Christmas ... and .... I'm not ready - the year is flying by!!!!!)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Thanks, guys! We had a splendid meal -- roast turkey of course, lots of stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, sausage meat, parsnips, green bean casserole (which is to DIE for), peas, fresh rolls, and the most scrumptious gravy ever. My sister, Ness, has one basic rule for making gravy. That is, there is no rule -- hence everything gets chucked in -- turkey drippings, a bit of stuffing, some cranberry sauce, the water from the sweet potatoes, wet ingredients from the green bean casserole, even the glass of wine she's drinking.

Absolutely. Bloody. Amazing.

We stuffed ourselves stupid.

It was quite foggy on the ride home though, but all in all, it was a great day!

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:21 pm

Oh man does that sound good.........

Hey Gillian - where are you in Canada compared to Whistler? (Showing my normal American absolute lack of geography knowledge!!!!) I have a friend who is seriously thinking of getting married there in April and I'm supposed to be in the wedding party (dreading the bridesmaid dresses but my friend normally has excelent taste so I'll hope for the best!!!!)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:37 pm

You lucky sod! Whistler's beautiful! You'll be smack dab in the Rockies.

Prepare for maximum sensory overload!

BTW, Whistler's in British Columbia and I'm here in southern Ontario, about 4 provinces away -- hardly what you'd call neighbors.

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:17 am

Hehehehe - yup I had to figure - I mean Canada is a pretty large country! It's like the Europeans saying to me - oh we shall be very close we are visiting New York (to little ole me in Florida!)

I'm glad to hear it is pretty - Carolynn is almost 99% sure the wedding will be there. She alsed me several times if Ken and I had current passports (yup!!) The other 1% is in Colorado at a ski resort. Hubby and I are not big cold weather fans but at least I could use the clothing I've bought in the past for Sundance!!! ;-)

I'm past the downhill skiing phase after two good dkiing injuries but I still like cross country skiing and I've always wanted to go snow shoeing! Whistler also has a spa and after cross country skiing I suspect I'll need a hot tub and a massage!!!!!!

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:31 am

Thanksgiving isn't as celebrated among French Canadians (my in-laws) so we don't get together for the whole turkey thing but just to see each other. But I'd like to start that tradition in my own little family. Maybe next year!

Marie, my dad has traveled the world, 5 of 7 continents etc. and he says Banff is the most breathtakingly beautiful place he's ever been to.

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Is Banff near Whistler? (See there I go again showing that I never paid attention in Geography class!)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Duh ... Whistler's in the Pacific Coast Mountain Range, not the Rockies. It's Banff that's in the Rockies, and that's one province over in Alberta. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, Marie ... to give you an idea of perspective, Whistler's only a two hour drive from Vancouver. (If that helps any.)

Lyra, my sister and her ex spent one week at a dude ranch just outside of Banff. She said the scenery was beautiful but thought the town itself was just a little too touristy. (And pricey as hell as I recall.)

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:11 am

Well I'd be a very happy girl if they did chose Whistler because other than the Canadian side of Niagra Falls I've never been to Canada and both my Mother and Father's sides of my family came from Canada. I find it incredible that I have been to Israel and the UK but have not really been to Canada.

I need to get a decent map of Canada that I can explore.

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 am

I'm afraid I'm not any better in my geogaphy, Gillian, notice I was non-commital when I said "Banff" (heheh) which I knew was in the Rockies but obviously thought Whistler was as well! Also when my dad first visited it was 25 years ago and yeah, since then I imagine the tourists descend in hordes. Tourists can sure ruin a place (myself included). I feel odd going on some lookout point with crowds of people all gawking at the same view. I'd rather find myself a little empty patch on some quiet mountain than be jostling shoulder to shoulder in the stress and noise to see the Grand Canyon, no matter how beautiful.

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 am

I don't care how many people are there - I want to go into the Grand Canyon on a donkey. On the list of things to do before I die!!!! I've seen the Grand Canyon twice from the rim - quite a sight! But I want to see more! I've also never been to Yellowstone and would very much like to see that.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:59 am

Yellowstone is amazing! Simply breathtaking. I can't wait to go back some day!

As for Canadian travel, I would love love love to see Prince Edward Island in person some day. I'm a huge LM Montgomery fan, so I have all these pictures in my head of the place.

-Foodie :D

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:25 pm

We use to vacation in P.E.I. when I was a kid. Summerside is nice but the rest is all farmland. You can also drive from one end to the other in less than a day, and things just seems to move on completely different schedule out there.

I'd love to do Yellowstone one day, and Lake Mono in California. That would be my dream photography vacation.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36 pm

I found PEI completely charming, and if you're anywhere at all near the area, Fortresse Louisbourg is absolutely worth a visit (though listening to all those Nova Scotians and Newfies trying to pass themselves off as French was entertaining in a completely different fashion . . . )

Return to “General Forum”