Hey, Canucks, are you okay up there??

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Hey, Canucks, are you okay up there??

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:46 pm

All the headlines are full of tales of woe concerning your overwhelming snowosity. Gillian, how's Trana lookin'? Can you get out?? Go enough to eat?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Can get on the Internet??

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:54 pm

All the headlines are full of tales of woe concerning your overwhelming snowosity.
Funny. That's all Canadian news stations have been saying about the States.
Actually, depending where you are it can be spectacularly crappy or not bad at all. We got about six inches so, in the scheme of things ... we fared better than many.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Were there storms in Canada too? I've been so focused on my neck of the woods...We had crazy rain yesterday. Some of the rivers in my state rose 25 feet in under two days. I can't recall where I heard it, but I heard that we got something like 15 inches of rain in one day yesterday...People were kayaking around town(Seattle) and at least 5 people have died so far. It's pretty nuts...I've never seen rain like it was yesterday and I've lived in this town my whole life. It was unbelievable, it looked like snow it was so white from pouring so hard. And it's still raining hard off and on today and into tomorrow as well. No fun...

-Foodie

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Poor little chickens!
We're getting the tail end of Gillian's snow here today. At present, about 2" of fluffy snow, but--as always for us in these circumstances--the temperature is hovering around freezing, meaning that as the day progresses and the temperature drops we are likely to have ice, DAMMIT!!

Foodie, sounds like the weather the British Midlands got this year . . . :shock:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Yuck, Foodie! Can't say as I envy your situation any.
Hope there's some relief in sight!

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 pm

It didn't rain at all today, so that's good. It's supposed to clear out, but there's tons of mud and water and silt everywhere. There is a 20 mile stretch of I-5 that's closed because of water and silt. But hopefully it'll all be cleared out soon!

-Foodie

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:20 pm

We got a good 14 inches - the kids have already made their forts! It's really beautiful actually...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:39 am

Lyra, we want photos!!!

Uh, Foodie, not so much.
Sorry.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:07 am

Awww, but they're such "wonderful" pictures...

http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/ ... 10fc4a.jpg

here's one...

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/weather/ ... rig.ap.jpg

http://i.newsvine.com/_vine/images/ap/n ... 4973f2.jpg

and a couple more...

The rains have ended, thank goodness, and things are going to dry out for about a week before we're supposed to get hit with some snow...hopefully they're wrong about that, though!
-Foodie

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 am

:-( :shock: aaa.gif :XXX

What a horrifying mess.
Are you likely to have problems with erosion or mudslides? Or are you on level ground?

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:37 am

Fortunately my neighborhood was largely untouched, except for the rain. Those pictures are mostly of the Centralia area, which is south of Seattle by quite a ways. There have already been stories of mudslides in some areas, and the neighborhood north of me, Northgate, had apartments that were flooded out and people kayaking in the standing waters...One of the schools in Seattle is closed until Monday because it was flooded out. There will probably be more mudslides as the waters recede and absorb into the already saturated ground. We do have many hills and cliffs in town, in the Shilshole and Magnolia neighborhoods, as well as along the Aurora Bridge/I-99. Hopefully it'll all clear out and the ground will dry by the time we theoretically get snow next week, or we'll be in real trouble!

-Foodie

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:22 pm

And we're getting Foodie's storm here in SoCal this weekend. Of course, we need the rain: we're in a 5-year drought. But with so many burned-out hillsides from the wildfires, we're hoping for steady rain, not downpours that'll cause mudslides to wipe out those homes that managed to survive the fires. Man, the weather's been hellish all over the country.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:49 pm

Hey Helen8! How's the weather down there this weekend? Are you getting plenty of rain? Is it filling up the reservoirs? I hope it's not too, bad. I've not heard anything on the news, which is probably a good sign. Hope you're holding up ok down there!

-Foodie

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Well, as hoped, it was steady rain on Friday and Saturday and then drizzly on Sunday. So, no mudslides reported. Although they were setting up scads of sandbags to hold back all the scorched hillsides. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for asking Foodie. How're things up there during the aftermath?

Return to “General Forum”