When is it acceptable to approach an actor?

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Soule

When is it acceptable to approach an actor?

Post by Soule » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:45 am

I was reading on another forum about a couple who instead of approaching an actor they followed him, the actor was walking down Oxford Street. Now don't get me wrong I understand being excited and perhaps not thinking clearly when you see people you admire, and perhaps being a little shy to approach them, but to follow feels a little wrong to me.

I attend some red carpet events and see that as fair game, to ask for photos and autographs as the celebs that go expect this, but when they are just out and about with their family doing normal family things, I feel a little uncomfortable about it. What does everyone else think?
Last edited by Soule on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

malfoygrandma

approaching an actor

Post by malfoygrandma » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 am

:oops: A very nice question. I think you are right. When they are working, such as doing publicity things at premieres and other events, the public is expected and desired to be present. But many "fans" now use the same criteria as do the Papparazi, who think they have every right to violate the personal life and privacy of anyone they recognize.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Weelll . . . I have to say I can sort of appreciate the 'creeper' inclination, if you don't think you're intruding on the other person, and just want to peek for a minute or two. Now hours spent stalking down the aisles of the grocery store or whatever seems wrong. I don't think I've ever been in this situation, but I guess I could kind of understand that initial excitement and 'ooh! is that ___?' response, but then I think you ought to simmer down and leave 'em alone. As MG says, fans aren't interacting with a person because of who they are, but because of their profession, so it's inappropriate to intrude on them when they aren't in a professional situation, i.e., a premiere or performance or something. It's faintly analogous, I guess, to spotting your plumber in a restaurant and running over and asking him to weld a U-bend for you.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm

When an actor is in their private life they should be left alone. This is their real life time. When it's a professional time that's different. Even then we should show some respect for them and not act like giggly idiots.

malfoygrandma

Thanks Hilary and Granny!

Post by malfoygrandma » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:12 am

:oops: I always hate to show my real fan face, for I too am a giggly idiot in the presence of that special person, who might only exist in my own mind!

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Ditto, mg. :oops: ~M'L :cool:

Soule

Post by Soule » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:53 pm

I could never do the whole giggly bit in front of a that certain someone, ven if inside I felt like doing it. I tend to go quiet and just ask really mundane questions, my mate normally saves the day though as she talks to anyone.

whisperwood

Post by whisperwood » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:52 am

Even at a premire, I'd be way too shy to approach an actor.

But I think of it like this. If I were a celebrity, would I want to be bothered continuously while on a family outing or shopping trip? No... But they kinda run that risk by getting into the business.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 pm

I agree that approaching actors during "off-hours", i.e, when they are not working, is intrusive. I would go further and say that unless he (or "she", but let's face it, I mean "he" ;-) ) is working in a "here I am, promoting my new project" capacity he is still off limits. It might be really irritating to be approached on set, for example.

It's quite easy for me to have that view as I would be too shy anyway to approach anyone.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:16 pm

I've no problem aproaching an actor/actress/celeb at a public event - or something that the person scheduled and knows what to expect.

Walking up to them on the street when they don't expect it - well probably not. Surprising them when they have thier family with them - absolutely not. They have so little privacy I think it would be awful to steal what little they have for my own enjoyment.

I made the mistake once of going up to Alen Cummings in a casual eatery at the airport (he was siting by himself.) He looked so tired and worn out and you could tell at once he did not really want to talk to fans. I told him I enjoyed his film at Sundance and he perked up a bit - then I told him I was pleased to meet him and I left (did not ask for an autograph!) As it was I felt horrible and even though he was smiling by the time I left I realized I intruded when I should not have. I won't make that mistake again - I will give celeb's their space and privacy!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:26 pm

I don't think I would ever be in a position to meet anyone and if I was I would keep my mouth shut. I have a speech problem at times and I would be afraid I wouldn't be able to get a word out.

Return to “General Forum”