replacing Hollywood actors digitally

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

replacing Hollywood actors digitally

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:42 am

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:26 am

yipes
I'm not looking forward to that, I can tell you . . .

I guess I can see the point for things like potentially dangerous action sequences, when you can eliminate hazard to actors or stuntpeople . . . and I enjoyed movies like Wall*E, but even in the very very good sequences of CGI facial stuff, like Lord of the Rings, weren't you troubled by some muscular anomalies? Grimaces produced in just the wrong directions??

I also wonder about the increasing disconnect between some aspects of technology and the rest of the planet. Yesterday, for example, I took some unwanted household things to the thrift store--a set of bigass glass beer mugs that we'd forgotten we'd even owned, etc.--and the guy in charge of accepting donations hesitated at my printer. He said, for future reference, that they typically don't accept any tech hardware, but that he would make an exception for mine because someone had just asked for one.
It was a perfectly good HP, including both cables AND four black ink cartridges, replaced with a newer (free) printer when I bought a digital camera. My daughter had all these fun computer games that nobody can play anymore, because new operating systems have left them in the dust. And so on. We just seem so caught up in the NOW--what about all the time around it, and all the STUFF???
And then there's all the people in the world who don't have a house, let alone any electricity to power appliances to enjoy all this . . .

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:49 am

I just don't see it ever totally replacing an actor. The one thing about CG is it's inability to convey the very heart and soul of a person. There's just no spark there, and that, I think, is what truly connects us with the character's we watch. I've seen numerous examples, but the most recent one is Beowulf. Although it was a technically good movie, with great visuals and an interesting story, the animated characters seemed very much out of sync with the actors who voiced them. Their faces just didn't convey the emotion, passion, intensity and humour that I heard coming out of their mouths. It was like watching (if you'll excuse the analogy) re-animated corpses. The essential vitality and life essence was just not there.

Until technology can reproduce that (and I don't think it ever will) real actors don't have much to fear.

Soule

Post by Soule » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I dont/hope it doesnt replace the need for an actor. i suspect it will be used to eleviate the need for stunt men, or location shots.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Damn you, Jar Jar Binks!!! :evil:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Damn you, Jar Jar Binks!!!
Bwahahaha - don't say things like that when I just drank soda - it's all over my screen now.....................

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Damn you, Jar Jar Binks!!!
Friggin' Jar Jar. He belongs in the seafood section of your local grocery store, nestled on a big tray of ice, or served up on toast points IMHO, not plastered all over a bloody great movie screen.

What the hell were you thinking, Lucas!?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:52 am

My guess :roll: : I'm the Greatest Wizard of Innovation and Imagination

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Or - wow I'm going to sell a bazillion dollars in toys!!!!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Paging Mr. Serkis ... Mr. Andy Serkis to the white courtesy telephone ...

The Aguru Dome in action

whisperwood

Post by whisperwood » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 am

Remember that movie from a while back.. S1m0ne was it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258153/
My daughter had all these fun computer games that nobody can play anymore, because new operating systems have left them in the dust.
I have so many great video games I'd love to play again, but they were made for computers with slower processors. :-( I'm really left in the dust as far as technology is concerned. I can't afford it. As shiny as they seem, lol.[/quote]

Return to “General Forum”