A question

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Cissa

A question

Post by Cissa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:14 am

Hi everyone, :helens

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to post some pics I made? They are on my computer, but not online.

Thanks,
Cissa

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:42 pm

There are a number of online image hosts available, so you'll need to find one first before sharing your pictures here. Photobucket is a good choice, although there are others out there -- it all just depends on your needs and what options you want. I'm sure some of our members here can recommend a few. If not, try Googling.

Once you've found one, you'll need to make sure your photos are of a reasonable size. 600 x 400 is good. Anything larger might start messing with the board's format. Most services can usually resize your images on the fly, so it's quite handy when you don't have the software to do it yourself.

To upload, just use the "Browse" feature to navigate to the photos on your hard drive, then click "Upload". Once that's done, simply copy and paste the code they provide for message boards into the body of your post here.

To ensure they display properly, use the "Preview" button under the window containing your message before submitting it to the board. If you're happy with the way things look, then go ahead and click "Post".

All being well, we should be able to see them too. Just make sure you don't post anything racy. We run a clean shop around here. ;-)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm

In addition to attempting to remain smut-free, we also try to avoid copyright violation--the deal with watermarked photos? It's not that they're watermarked, it's that they're COPYRIGHTED. A lot of people register for an account with a commercial provider (Rex, Corbis, etc.) and assume that this entitles them to use photos in whatever way they'd like.
Wrongo.
A PAID account typically allows you to download a photo to your computer for use in layout decisions; to actually print or otherwise disseminate such photos requires a separate license, the fee for which is typically based on the size of your readership. And yes, this includes use on the internet.
This goes some way to explaining the relative absence of photos here; we do have a professional "pal" in London who slips us the occasional free treat, but otherwise we try to avoid the Big Boys (and Girls)--and their lawyers.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks guys, I will try this out. I don't intend to use any copyrighted material, just screencaps from online. I see loads of others have done that, so it should probably be allright. The only thing I worry about is inadvertantly allowing outside parties access to my computer by posting things on the web like that. but I will check it out and see what's what.

Thanks again! :helens

Soule

Post by Soule » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:00 pm

If you host the pic on Photobucket, the pic will be on a photobucket servier and not n your home pc, so your pc will be completely safe.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:00 am

Argh, I just tried everything and photobucket can't load my pictures. I guess it's beyond me at this point. Hey, the fact I was even able to make avatars just goes to show what I long way I've come, so I'm happy about that at least! :D

Return to “General Forum”