Funny interview in Source Magazine

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Funny interview in Source Magazine

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Bread n Jam posted this on the FanZone--it's an article that appeared in a free magazine called Source that's available in a British department store called John Lewis (which also serves fabulous breakfasts ;-) ):

Wandering Star

Jason Isaacs

British actor Jason Isaacs, 45, is as well known in Hollywood as he is in this country. He plays Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, much to the delight of his two young daughters.

Favourite journey

Before we married and before the kids, my wife Emma and I rowed down a river through the rainforest in Belize. It was poorly planned, stupidly dangerous and utterly thrilling. There was a beautiful tree they called the 'give-and-take tree'; it had spikes laced with lethal poison sticking out of its trunk, but if you broke the spike off, the paste inside would cure you. Terrifying and reassuring, all at the same time.

I can't leave home without…

A backpack groaning with a stupid amount of gadgets: phone, BlackBerry, iPod, Jawbone (Bluetooth headset), camera and Powerbook. I can't leave home without all of the above, but I can leave for home without whatever I've brought with me. There are hotel lost-and-founds all over the world with my number on speed dial.

Worst travel experience

Colombia, for my brother's wedding, Pablo Escobar had just blown up an airliner, so things were insane - particularly at the airport. I walked a mile in 100F heat, from the international to the domestic terminal, with my terrified parents and all our luggage. When we arrived at Cali, a car had been Bonnie-and-Clyded and lay on its side, riddled with bullet holes, as blood ran down the gutter. My brother and I tried to distract our parents by pointing out some mango trees. It didn't work.

Holiday horrors

Emma gets horribly seasick. We went whale watching once off the coast of Mexico and came across a pod of sperm whales flipping somersaults to attract the women (I've tried it - without success). It was a magnificent sight, Emma was laying down flat on the deck of the boat, retching. "Get up, darling, get up…it's incredible," I shouted. "Video it," she groaned, "I'll watch it later".

Best childhood holiday memory

My eldest brother Geoff would take us camping in the Lake District. No permits, no running water, no maps. Just drive, park and pitch in fields, Sheep, cows and mystery animals would try to get into the tent at night. We'd have huge fires and eat incinerated sausages and potatoes baked into lumps of coal. I took my own family camping recently in Rhode Island and served up the same to them. My girls were repulsed, but it tasted like childhood heaven to me.

I definitely won't go back to…

Bratislava, Slovakia. In the Nineties, I was offered a part in the Hollywood movie Dragonheart, filmed in Bratislava. I was shocked to find that even the fruit salad was deep-fried, that the hotel had one phone line for all 100 rooms, and that Beavis and Butthead on the telly was the only English-language cultural option. Sallow-skinned teenagers roamed the streets drinking wine at 50p a bottle. The whole city looked depressed. I'm sure it's different know, but I'm in no rush to find out.

Jason Isaacs is starring in 1930s political drama Good, released this winter.

Source Magazine: greenbee.com

Interview :Marianne Gray.Alamy

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 pm

I love these candid types of interviews. You can learn so much about a person.
Thanks for posting it, Hilary!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 pm

My my! He does great vacations: terror-packed!!

My worst was wearing new shoes on a hiking trip, giving me bleeding blisters on top of bleeding blisters. :roll:

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:11 am

I love that he really goes just anywhere!
Belize! Colombia! Mexico! Slovakia!
He's been everywhere.....except Peru.
Come on Jase...Peru is RIGHT NEXT TO Colombia....
And nothing scary will happen to you...*whispers* cuz I'll be waiting for you in the airport..........

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:58 am

thanx Hilary for posting this great article...

yes, these short interviews are very candid

sounds like my kind of vacations, exciting and exploring
new adverntures...

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:55 am

Aaah, the toxic, spiny Give and Take trees... Kind of reminds me of mom!

But what the hell was his bro thinking - getting married in Columbia with Pablo Escabar??? Sounds like the whole family is the adventurous type. Didn't I read somewhere that animals scare him? :roll:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks Hilary. He's always very entertaining.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 am

his interviews are always nice and fun to read

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 pm

He sounds like a very interesting man that loves life and lives it fully.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 pm

I know grannybear. I also love the way he tells the stories.
He makes them funny and he sort of creates an image in my mind.
Very coo interview.

Return to “General Forum”