Nah, nah, nah, nah! Hey, hey, hey! Goo-ood-bye!

Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Nah, nah, nah, nah! Hey, hey, hey! Goo-ood-bye!

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:13 pm

'nuff said.

In with the new: Congratulations, America! Congratulations, Pres. Barack Obama! Now to work repairing all the damage done!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:55 pm

amen, Helen...I was waving 'bye' to the helicopter...LOL

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Oh Happy Day...........

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I watched a bit of the inauguration as I didn't start work unitl this afternoon.
I read, (but didn't hear) that some people booed Bush; is that true?

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:54 pm

I was able to catch part of it at work. (Thank god for streaming broadcasts.)
I couldn't hear anyone booing Bush per se, but that may have been cause I was booing myself. :twisted:

On a tangential note, their was a lot less traffic on the roads today -- like about half the regular volumne -- but co-worker and I speculated that was because many people stayed home to watch the swearing-in ceremony.

pat

Post by pat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:29 pm

I cried out three tissues during the swearing-in. I didn't cry that much when my daughter got married.

And I was singing with the crowd when Bush left.

One of my friends was volunteering in DC yesterday. He got to shake Michelle's hand, and he said she winked at him. It's so funny because Louis tries to acts like a player, but is devoted to his wife and 4 kids. I'm sure Michelle saw right through him.

I've never really thought of myself as overtly patriotic. Yeah, I love my country, but I know that other folks love their countries, too, and my country is really no better and no worse than theirs.

But today I can say that I've felt patriotic, with such a deep abiding love for my country and my countrymen. We've done something that shouldn't be extraordinary, but is. And I'm not sure it's just about Obama being biracial; I think it's also extraordinary because he doesn't fit the usual profile for President. He became, which is the American dream, isn't it?

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:36 pm

This was just the best day ever! But we still have a lot of work to do. But we can do it! So, today we revel in our joy, and tomorrow, we roll up our sleeves, and get to work! :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 pm

I read, (but didn't hear) that some people booed Bush; is that true?

I didn't hear booing, but when he was announced and walked down the steps, people were already singing the song, Nah, nah, nah, nah, then the band started playing to kind of drown them out.

You said it, Foodie!!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 pm

I read, (but didn't hear) that some people booed Bush
Yes we did. Well actually I didn't boo, I was too busy bellowing, "I wish I had a spare shoe!!"
Mostly though, I have to say, the crowd (and sweet ginger noodles what a crowd it was--check out some footage SOMEwhere!!) was overwhelmingly positive. As I walked toward the Lincoln Memorial at 9:30 from what will always be Pat's Metro stop to me, the Jumbotrons were broadcasting footage from the previous weekend's concert, with Pete Seeger singing "This Land is Your Land"? and bunches of us were singing along. And it was such a great day that that didn't even seem lame. Everyone was beaming and complimenting other people's babies and saying "excuse me" when we bumped into each other and sharing snacks . . . it was like living in a 50s sitcom!! I got off the commuter bus back home, and another man came rushing off the bus because he'd found a pair of gloves, and he wanted to get them back to their owner before the bus pulled away.

I thought Barack's speech was just amazing, and his delivery . . . I wept, and I'm not even American!!
I know the poor man can't help but let me down, with this build-up??? but this week, I am in LUUUUURVE.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote:
I read, (but didn't hear) that some people booed Bush
Yes we did. Well actually I didn't boo, I was too busy bellowing, "I wish I had a spare shoe!!"
You could get a nice little rhyming chant out that:

Boo, boo
Eat my shoe
:oops:
.... the Jumbotrons were broadcasting footage from the previous weekend's concert, with Pete Seeger singing "This Land is Your Land"? .....
I missed the whole concert thing (on the tv). I would have loved to have heard Pete Seeger.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 pm

I read that there were 2 million people . . . and not 1 arrest. And considering about 100,000+ people didn't get to the areas for which they had tickets. That's a testament to Barack's support.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I sat glued to the TV the whole day. Everything was just perfect.

Too bad they had to redo the oath. I turned on Fox News for awhile and they were just carrying on that it wasn't legal. Did they think that would mean that McCain would be in then? The whole thing was pretty funny when you think about it.[/i]

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Fruitbat, will this work for you?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YlLtmMV8zs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YlLtmMV8zs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pete's been down the road a mile or two, but his grandson was there, and that child got a voice on him. It was cool--they did the old lefty lyrics, not just the best-known ones :D

Hey you
GB two
I got a little
something for you
Take this gift
a well-flung shoe
A way to say
ADIEU! ADIEU!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

That was really stirring.

Are those your Shrub lyrics, Miss Hils? So apropos.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 am

Hilary,

thanks. It sort of works on my laptop; I'll try it again at work.
I didn't know Bruce and Pete sang together; that is magic. The Seeger Sessions is one of my favourite cds.

I googled Pete's grandson; Tao Rodriguez-Seeger. I must spend some time (at work) investigating his music.

I love your chant! :D

(Sorry for the excessive use of semi-colons; it's my addiction. :oops: )

Return to “Political Material”