I'm mad as hell!

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

pat

I'm mad as hell!

Post by pat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Going to stand on my soapbox & go off on something.

This morning, I open my beloved Washington Post to find 3 (count 'em, THREE!) full page ads from the financial sector.

The first is a "gee, you've overreacted" letter to the public from that sterling citizen and CEO of Wells Fargo, John Strumpf (also a member of the National Republican Congressional Committee). John is vetching that wow! we can't even reward our outstanding tellers without the public throwing a hissy fit (and remember that our tellers are peons like you, John and Jane Q. Public!).

OK, bad enough. Two pages later is a full-page ad from Bank of America. Gee, in the 4th quarter we lent $115 billion. Yeah, and how much of the TARP money did you use to acquire other financial institutions? How much of _MY_ tax money did you spend on your friggin ad?

Last page of the A section--real prime real estate here!--we have a FULL-PAGE ad from Citi (who apparently never sleeps, but is out there figuring ways to use your money, other than lending, of course!).

F**K. I love the fact that the Post grabbed the ad money for 3 full pages, but GIVE ME A BREAK!!

As Rachel Maddow would say, SOMEBODY TALK ME DOWN!

Sorry for the all caps screaming, but I'm really pissed off.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:08 pm

I hear you, pat. I came home last night and heard the last few minutes of a report that Dateline NBC gave on CEOs and how they live in this rarefied atmosphere where they believe that they deserve all the money and perks they can get. They have no concept of how the rest of us live, and frankly, don't care.

I also think that that comment about Obama's 500K cap on their salaries would cause them to leave and find other places to work—I say, LET THEM GOOOOO. 'Cause they did such a bang-up job at these banks, didn't they?

Yes, I agree, pat, that it was good to see that WAPO (see, I remembered) cleaned up on those ads. Because of the decrease in ad revenue, the LA Times, which I get, is having to consolidate the various sections of the newspaper to cut down on printings. For example, the California sections is being rolled into the main section and the Obits into the Finance section—scaringly fitting these days.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:25 pm

And our local paper The St Petersburg Times, has the comics and the advice columns in the classified section. You get used to it but it's not the same.

pat

Post by pat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:05 am

Welcome to the club, Helen. The secret handshake comes next!

Yeah, WAPO is dropping the Sunday book review section, my second favorite part of that day's edition (after travel).

Our local paper has increased revenues from all the foreclosure ads, and my understanding is that the Shore has suffered less than other parts of the country as our house prices never went wild.

I've had two furlough days this year, with three more to come. We were told they would be spread out, but it was over consecutive pay periods.

Did something yesterday I've never done: I emailed both my senators and my congressman to let them know I was behind the president. Something has to be done and quickly. I'm appalled that Susan Collins, Olympia Snow, and Arlen Specter could dictate the terms that they did--reducing the two items that will have the biggest bang: school construction and aid to the states. And what is this BS about a $15,000 credit toward buying a house? So you can flip your house? How does that help out the people who have lost their jobs and their home? Isn't this another example of spending that benefits the Haves?

Did anybody else catch the president's new conference? Wasn't it nice to have thoughtful responses?

Let's see what Geithner pulls out of his hat today. And, does he look like Jason Clarke to anybody else?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:26 pm

The secret handshake comes next!
Can't wait. I'll be one up on the Masons.

I've had two furlough days this year, with three more to come.
It's every other Friday here for state workers. Like the DMV wasn't already a circus 5 days per week.

Our local paper has increased revenues from all the foreclosure ads
I was shocked to see 4 pages of foreclosures in the LA Times the other day. And 2 pages were just for Phoenix?!?! I guess they want a mass exodus from SoCal.

Isn't this another example of spending that benefits the Haves?
Rhetorical question, right?

does he look like Jason Clarke
Yuppers.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:37 am

Helen8 wrote:The secret handshake comes next!
Can't wait. I'll be one up on the Masons.

I've had two furlough days this year, with three more to come.
It's every other Friday here for state workers. Like the DMV wasn't already a circus 5 days per week.

Our local paper has increased revenues from all the foreclosure ads
I was shocked to see 4 pages of foreclosures in the LA Times the other day. And 2 pages were just for Phoenix?!?! I guess they want a mass exodus from SoCal.

Isn't this another example of spending that benefits the Haves?
Rhetorical question, right?
does he look like Jason Clarke
Yuppers.
OH, HELL-TO-THE-NO!
You mean to tell me that some big wig looks like Tom Caffee? aaa.gif
:bawl
MICHAEL.......Michael Caffee......come home.....save us.......PLEASE! aaa.gif
~M'L(C) :bang

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:28 am

Didn't think anyone looked like Tom Caffee. Two faced. Never liked him.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Coulda been worse,.......Donatello is still alive, right? aaa.gif

~M'L(C) nuke.gif
(I seem to notice a resemblence between Jason Clarke, and Quentin Tarantino when I first started watching BH. Oy vey! :bang)

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 am

Oh man!
Our state governor has requested (uh-huh...) that all state employees in management positions take an 8-day furlough. That includes DH. Well, considering that we now have a house that's still in need of repair, that may be a bit iffy. She then suggested just one day, which is fine with us, that's certainly something we're prepared to do in the interest of the economy - you know, the bigger picture and all.

Then, one of our basketball coaches at UCONN (who, incidentally makes $170k, roughly) just had a fit, saying that he brings $12 million to the institution and that he would be damned if he was gonna work for no pay for a day and that he was gonna squeeze every benefit out of it he could.:roll:

These folks could always be working in a coal mine.

Return to “The Bitch Box”