JI defends casting of Jennifer Aniston in Friends with Money

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

JI defends casting of Jennifer Aniston in Friends with Money

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:23 pm

http://www.filmstew.com/Content/Article ... 13749&Pg=1

..."When watching a low-key comedy-drama exploring the relationship woes and economic disparities of four women living in contemporary Los Angeles and approaching middle age, it’s easy to automatically buy into the air of realism the film strives for. But when the lone poor character of the central quartet is played by a star on the level of Jennifer Aniston, who clearly isn’t hurting financially, the bubble of plausibility could be punctured for devout US Weekly readers unable to get past the glamorous image of Aniston they have in their heads.

But that’s a chance critically acclaimed writer-director Nicole Holofcener (Walking and Talking, Lovely and Amazing) was willing to take with her independently made ensemble piece Friends With Money. In the film, Aniston plays Olivia, a single, lonely maid who turns to her wealthy, married friends Frannie (Joan Cusack), Jane (Frances McDormand), and Christine (Catherine Keener) for comfort, reassurance, and, when necessary, a loan.

Defending Aniston’s believability in the role is Jason Isaacs, who plays Christine’s husband and screenwriting partner, David. Isaacs believes that the actress formerly known as Friends’ Rachel Green possesses acting talent that outweighs her hefty salary. And considering that Isaacs plays Lucius Malfoy in the billions-grossing Harry Potter franchise and co-starred with power player Mel Gibson in The Patriot, it’s safe to assume he knows what he’s talking about.

..."Isaacs similarly praises Holofcener for creating “with such fine brush strokes on such a small palette a world that I recognized completely from my own life. [There are] marital difficulties, and single friends, and the difficulty of dividing a bill in a restaurant when one person can clearly pay the whole bill without thinking while the other people are looking at their food budget, and [the question of] how do you maintain friendships, and all of those things.â€
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eternal student
Location: The beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland, my Maryland

Post by eternal student » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:16 am

Haven't seen the film, so can't judge. Holofcener does good work--saw
"Lovely & Amazing" and thought it was both.

Maybe I'm just being very cynical today, but when I read the article, I thought "He's an ACTOR, folks" and a darn good one. Anniston? right

Had the same thought when watching the Oscars this year. Buzz was that Reese & Ryan were having problems. Yet there they are, all lovey-dovey. Shit, you're giving the Oscar to the woman. You REALLY believe what you see? Gimme a break, or buy a bridge from me!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:08 pm

I haven't watched any of Aniston's work outside of "Friends" so can't comment either. Maybe as a non-fan that's a good thing. Means I'll be able to judge her role without any pre-conceived notions. If it's good, then fine. If not, well ...

I'd like to point out that Jason is always the consummate professional. He would never publically bad-mouth any of his co-stars -- even Keanu Reeves, whom he observed as, "generous", when asked of his talents as an actor.

Talk about dodging a bullet.

eternal student
Location: The beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland, my Maryland

Post by eternal student » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:06 am

You're right, Gillian, he's a dear that wouldn't say anything bad about his co-stars.

I've seen Anniston in Office Space, Along Came Polly, Rock Star, and The Good Girl. Never watched Friends (probably one of the two people on the planet that never watched Friends or Seinfeld). I find her acting runs the gamut from a to b. Most of her roles have involved her playing a waitress or store clerk. Now she gets to clean houses. Wow, talk about working your acting chops. <yawn>

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:49 pm

Heehee.
I've never seen Jennifer Aniston in anything--I'm the other person on the planet who eschewed a Friends addiction.
But yeah, JI couldn't bring himself to speak ill of Fatboy--I don't think we should hold our breath.

(besides, look what happened when he let fly with the 'C' word....)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:15 pm

But yeah, JI couldn't bring himself to speak ill of Fatboy
It's always wise not to speak ill of the crazies.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:44 am

Was that directed at me??? :loco

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”