my hbp review

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

blisster

my hbp review

Post by blisster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:34 am

It's been a couple of hours since I left the theater with after seeing HBP, and I'm desperately trying to remember what I liked about the movie. In no particular order:

- Draco ... Yeah that's a given considering I adore Draco, but I was very impressed with Tom Felton's portrayal of him, so different from previous efforts (though I enjoyed those too). Again, he doesn't have much to say dialogue wise, in my opinion, but when the camera focuses in on him, there's such depth and layers of bravado, hurt and insecurity that I wish there were more for him to do. <small>Isn't it about time Tom Felton's name be among the "big name" actors, just a thought.</small>

- Ron ... Rupert at his best comedy wise. As I'm one of the few people who love Ron and Lavender, I loved every minute of their over the top relationship.

- Dumbledore ... still the most arrogant wizard as far as I'm concerned, but I think Sir Michael Gambon finally got Dumbedore.

- Snape ... love, love Snape. And omg Alan Rickman actually had dialogue!

- Bellatrix ... scarily fantastic. Helena Bonham Carter looks like she's having so much fun.

- Baby & Teen Voldemort ... brilliant casting.

I still don't know what they were thinking regarding Narcissa's hair. It was so distracting that I had a hard time concentrating on the Unbreakable Vow scene (which didn't match what I had envisioned).

Lastly, the Jason Isaacs lover in me was so very happy to see him, even as a (albeit non-moving) photograph. Was it the best HP movie? Yes, but it would have been even better with Lucius ;-)

Marianne

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:46 am

Was Lucius in a 'new' photograph or one we've seen before?

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:56 am

Glad you enjoyed the movie, Marianne.
I still don't know what they were thinking regarding Narcissa's hair
I would say she looks more like Cruella but someone already said that.

~me :oops:

blisster

Post by blisster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Forgot to include Harry in my review from last night ... will plead sleepiness.

Harry on Felix Felicis was so funny!!! I think it was Daniel Radcliffe's best performance :)

marianne

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Thanks for sharing, Marianne!
(hard to imagine Voldemort was ever a baby--)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote: (hard to imagine Voldemort was ever a baby--)
LOL True...

~me

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:15 pm

Chari910 wrote:Was Lucius in a 'new' photograph or one we've seen before?

???

Have we seen him in a photograph before?

???

blisster

Post by blisster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:18 pm

I call him "Baby" Voldemort when he's really 11 years old. But he's so adorable :???:

Here are the two pictures of Lucius as a Prisoner of Azkaban that I thought they'd use. Again I could be wrong as it was such a blink and you'll miss him scene.

marianne

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:22 pm

I'll try not to blink during the movie :shock:

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:59 pm

The poor baby looks so forlorn at Azkaban. :-(

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks for the review, marianne! I probably should have read that first before asking about Draco's character. :oops:

blisster

Post by blisster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 pm

No problem, always happy to discuss Draco :D

DM: This is the major film in Draco’s story. There's some coming of age for him here. What were your thoughts going into it?
TF: Very excited, but I also got a little bit anxious, and slightly worried, about what to do and whether or not I could do it. I had many meetings with David Yates and Mike [Gambon] to discuss it, and they really encouraged me to really try and excel with the character. It’s what any actor wants when it comes to trying to sink your teeth into a character, and we really do reveal more of Draco’s emotions. He’s always been slightly two-dimensional in previous years, and this time you really see lots of sides of him.

DM: How so?
TF: You see a much harder and much more violent side, his hate is much stronger. But there’s also an immensely vulnerable side to him too. Hopefully you empathize with him by the end, a little bit.

DM: In the book, all is revealed, more or less, in his showdown with Dumbledore. Does his back story play out the same way in the film?
TF: Draco starts off very determined, very hard, and very up for it, so to speak. But definitely, toward the end, that crumbles. That whole façade. You really feel that weaker side of him, the young boy that he is. He’s acting like a man, he’s being the father of a house while his dad’s in prison, so he really feels like he’s got to step up his game, but unfortunately he’s not quite as solid as he thought. It’s a more gradual crumbling in the film.

It would have been nice if the Kloves had allowed Draco to say he was doing what he had to to keep Lord Voldemort from killing his family. I missed that vulnerability, though Tom certainly displayed a lot of that in his portrayal. Now I'm going to feel so bad for him when reverts back to that 2 dimensional figure in Deathly Hallows. But I'll just keep myself satisfied with the knowledge that in the end all the Malfoys really care about is their family unit.

marianne

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Marianne, I thought I did hear Draco say something like that to Dumbledore just before the Deatheaters appear in the tower at Hogwarts?

The only Lucius appearance I caught was right near the beginning of the movie, a still photo in the newspaper--not even a moving one . . . :-(

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:22 am

Me and the bezzie mate saw it yesterday and there were a few, "Hold on, that wasn't in the book,' moments but also at the end tears from us both, as well as pooing our pants with the inferi grabbing Harry, even though I had a feeling it was coming.
Trust Sir Michael to finally get it right when he has to leave. I think everyone started crying with the lit wands, it wasn't supposed to be like that but it was a brilliant idea.
I felt so sorry for Hermione, she also had me in bits as I could easily relate to her, but Ron was fantasic all the way through.
I thought McCormac was quite a bit of something to be honest :oops: The dessert part had me going red as my bezzie mate just cringed next to me.
AD: You need a shave Harry.
DUDE! Have you seen the size of your beard lately? You are in no position to tell anyone to get a shave! :???:
MM

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 am

The lit wands moment was very touching, and certainly seemed like something from the books, even if it wasn't, but I also couldn't resist leaning over to Sprog at that moment and whispering, "Play 'Free Bird'"!

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”