Fan fiction

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

a.p.k.

Fan fiction

Post by a.p.k. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 am

So not wanting to get into any arguments with anyone, but I just have to put this out there.

Am rather attached to several particular authors of fan fiction and their tales, and what fan fiction stories they write are within the Harry Potter universe, and it's kind of a fun hobby that allows me to have unending sequels to the stories which JKRowling isn't up to providing, and just to keep on enjoying this veddy British magical universe which is so entirely unlike my entirely nonBritish nonmagical existence.

Am sure there are some other fan fiction fans here. No doubt.

However ... I just found out about this "celebrity fan fiction" thing, which entirely weirded me out. I mean, playing with fictional characters is one thing. But playing with real people, with real lives and families, and putting one's imaginings and fantasies (of all kinds) to those people and posting it on the Internet ... that just strikes me as way too "out there." Beyond "out there." Crosses what feels like a walled-off boundary line, to me.

Stalker-ish, maybe. No, not maybe; definitely.

Okay, so if there's anyone who dabbles in such things, am not wanting to offend. Maybe it is a different-strokes-for-different-folks thing. But it was so disturbing to me, so I just had to get it off my chest here (on a board for fans of an actor for whom a lot of people don't grok the concept of boundary lines).

If this is coming across as belligerent and is against the rules of the board, mods, let me know and I'll delete. But had to get it off my chest.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:13 am

I do now and again read some fan fics on fan fic net and some of those Harry Potter ones are really well written but I have happened upon a couple of fics with elements of this, you do have to wonder about the writers it has to be said, a vivid immagination is one thing but as you say a.p.k verging on stalker and it is a bit disturbing and I think there should be more regulation on these sites that allow them.[/quote]

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:39 am

I probably have about 10 books lined up for me to read at any one time. I love reading but must say I just don't have the time or patience to wade through fan fiction. I'm sure there are some gems out there but you have to read so many crappy & creapy ones before you come to one decent one - it is not worth it for me.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:11 am

Marie wrote:I probably have about 10 books lined up for me to read at any one time. I love reading but must say I just don't have the time or patience to wade through fan fiction. I'm sure there are some gems out there but you have to read so many crappy & creapy ones before you come to one decent one - it is not worth it for me.

Which is why I don't waste time reading aimless fan fiction stories. I've got several authors who are solid writers (two of them write for a living, the fan fiction thing is along the lines of a hobby/stress relief/just for fun) and they're the writers I read, period.

If they recommend someone else or a particular story, I'll happily read that as well.

Like I said, it's like reading sequels. For grown-ups.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 am

After my last post I thought I would have a little look around to see if I could find any sites dedicated solely to this, OMG!!! The very first one that came up was so disturbing I couldn't even get past the first paragraph, I have never read anything so disgusting in my life and in this particular one all the Fics seem to have been written by men about female celebs. Two Words! Disturbed Perverts!!

warriorprincess

Post by warriorprincess » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Well any Fanfiction I have written I keep to myself!

Love Kathleen

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Back in 2002, when I first got interested in JI, I came across a Patriot/Tavington fanfic site and was completely grossed out by what I found and decided not to waste my time. It's one thing to daydream about a character or an actor/actress; it's something completely different when it's put in writing . . . and then "shared" with the immediate world. I'm not interested in people's lewd and inappropriate fantasies.

fruitbat

Re: Fan fiction

Post by fruitbat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

a.p.k. wrote:...However ... I just found out about this "celebrity fan fiction" thing, which entirely weirded me out. I mean, playing with fictional characters is one thing. But playing with real people, with real lives and families, and putting one's imaginings and fantasies (of all kinds) to those people and posting it on the Internet ...
So, for example, fanfic about Jason,, not Lucius?
That is creepy. To be honest, I found it kind of creepy that, in that Tavy-inspired book, Beyond All Reason, "Tarrington's" first name was Jason.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:06 pm

I don't have time for any of that. I'm too busy getting myself aggravated over the political web sites.

mrsmcclnt

Re: Fan fiction

Post by mrsmcclnt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:53 pm

fruitbat wrote: That is creepy. To be honest, I found it kind of creepy that, in that Tavy-inspired book, Beyond All Reason, "Tarrington's" first name was Jason.
That is a bit creepy and somewhat stalker-ish. I've seen something like that on Dwayne Johnson's Fan site, where they had all these girls lined up to be his next mistress in their stories. And this is during the time he was still married to his wife.

The stuff came across as a bit ...what's the word... insensitive. And tacky, like they don't have a moderator to edit some of that content for grammar.

Shesh....

But I am a fan fic writer. I write only fan fiction at this point cause I don't have the time or brain power to think of anything original of my own (at the moment). My very first writing was of Jem and the Holograms back when I was in middle school.

I've written Lucius, currently working on Lucius - which reminds me that I have a Gauntlet run to do at Mugglenet with Lucius and a dragon! But I like writing Lucius at the moment cause he's a bit more interesting to write. Although I have an idea for Snape and Professor Sprout. But that's another plot bunny that's simmering in my head.

But celebrity fan fiction is just...well.. wrong. Yes we all love Jason, and yes we envy his wife. God bless her for being at the right place at the right time to bag that man.

But some fantasies are best left unsaid, let alone unwritten.

Must hurry to find out first prompt in Gauntlet run. aaa.gif

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am

grannybear wrote:I don't have time for any of that. I'm too busy getting myself aggravated over the political web sites.

Actually that's how I ended up reading this stuff in the first place. Got banned from the site that had been my favorite haunt (a natural parenting megasite) for almost a decade, after spending that decade in near constant online debate. So one of my writer friends convinced me that life without online political debate is a life with lower blood pressure. She coaxed me into reading her writing on this fan fiction site ...

And you know what? She's right.

(Have only sworn off on-line political debate. Can't swear off it entirely. I mean, come on, I live in Israel. Here babies are fed a diet of political debate with their mothers' milk. LOL)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:25 am

Yes we all love Jason, and yes we envy his wife. God bless her for being at the right place at the right time to bag that man.
She's a lucky woman, eh? :cool:

~me

mrsmcclnt

Post by mrsmcclnt » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:33 am

Angel Tavington wrote:
Yes we all love Jason, and yes we envy his wife. God bless her for being at the right place at the right time to bag that man.
She's a lucky woman, eh? :cool:

~me
:mrgreen: LOL, yes she is, Angel. If we could all be so lucky.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:14 am

I read the political sites but do not post. By posting you can get in some intense arguments and I prefer to stay away from that. I just want to hear what others have to say.

As for our website, I think it's very well run and the ladies do not go overboard. It's nice to discuss an actor we admire for his work and also the charity things he involves himself in. We like the way he keeps his private life private so his family stays out of the spotlight.

I've read sites in the past that are too personal and make you uncomfortable. Here commenting on his wardrobe is the most personal we get and that is just fine.

Best of all, if Jason reads the board I don't think there is anything here that would make him blush and feel uneasy.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:25 am

What kind words, grannybear! I hope you're right!

As DH would say, "Horses for courses," but I agree that when producing fiction, one should write exclusively of the fictional character. Goodness knows there have been significant works inspired by previous art--The Wide Sargasso Sea, about the first wife of Jane Eyre's Mr. Rochester--comes to mind . . .

I too was something of a political junkie for a while--I believe it's important to know what your representatives are up to, but I'm afraid I'm becoming cynical in my old age, and no longer have much confidence in my ability to change anything. :-( Fretting over it can indeed make you very tense and unhappy.

Return to “General Forum”