The Patriot

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Minuet

The Patriot

Post by Minuet » Wed May 31, 2006 4:00 pm

Because someone had to do it, and Hilary gave me permission. :cool: So, shall we talk about Tavington?

Wildevine

Wildevine

Post by Wildevine » Wed May 31, 2006 9:02 pm

Well, aside from the fact that I still think Tavington would be abusive in a relationship (see "in a relationship" thread from the zone) I just can't believe how freakin gorgeous he is in this. There are teeny moments in other films when I see a whiff of Tavy. Like on the beach in Passionada. His shirt is open a bit and I'm thinking as I watch it- change the shirt to white poet, make the hair long, there's Tavy.
He was shockingly evil. Just after the "shaving scene" there is a shot of him with black powder smoke in the air. Such total malevolence. I have read interviews where Jason says that playing that kind of evil is catharsis. It's the way to get out the built up aggressions. That man must have a hidden life. The most believable character I've ever seen. Mel who? I didn't even notice the other actors.
Janet.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed May 31, 2006 9:56 pm

Janet -- yeah, there's an obvious attraction there, though why in this case more so in the general female viewership. Reminds me of older discussions we've had on the seductiveness of "bad boys", when it's obvious that in real life we'd give a guy like this an extremely wide berth. Personally I think it has to do with the fantasy a lot of women have-- that attraction to something so exciting, so different from ourselves, yet at the same time hoping that they can be redeemed, which at it's heart is contradictory, because should you succeed, that person no longer resembles the individual you were attracted to in the first place.

Unless of course, you preference runs to brutal, calculating, murderous over-achievers. :D

On the up-side, when he isn't burning down churches there are fleeting moments of vulnerability -- which is enough to ensure he doesn't fall into that trap of becoming a two-dimentional carboard cutout, like what happens with a lot of Hollywood villains. It takes real talent to ellicit that kind of empathy, even within the confines of a character like Tavington, and I think Jason succeeds quite well at this.

Other reasons to like Tavy -- them baby-blues, the ruffled shirt opened at the chest ....

and he absolutely kicks ass with that mane of his.

I still wouldn't want him pissed off at me though.
Mel who?
You mean Stumpy? :D

snape

Post by snape » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:41 am

and he absolutely kicks ass with that mane of his.

I still wouldn't want him pissed off at me though.

Please, what does this mean?????

Snape, (poor little german speaking wizard...)

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:59 am

Mane = hair

Pissed Off = really mad

I don't care how long his hair is - I'd take a short haired Charlie Beck over a a long haired basterd like Tavington anyday!!! Evil is fun to look at but nice is better to live with!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Marie

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:25 am

Lookit at all the Tavington discussion! My take on the success and appeal of the character is pretty simple.

1. Jason is clearly the handsomest man in the movie.
2. Jason is obviously acting the hell out of his character.
3. Jason's costuming kicks six different kinds of ass.

It's a recipe for success, particularly considering the fact that the movie is tripe. Jason, Tom Wilkinson, and the beautiful setpieces are really the only reasons to watch TP.

And, of course, Tavington is a man that, in reality, any civilized person would fear and avoid. But that's the beauty of fiction...villains can be as villainous as possible, and there's no risk to the viewer. Flamboyant villainy is highly entertaining, as anyone who has watched and enjoyed either Basil Rathbone or Alan Rickman in their respective versions of "Robin Hoods" could tell you. Or, for that matter, anyone who ever found Iago to be the most fascinating character in "Othello". Oh, man...wouldn't Jason make the most fabulous Iago?

But I digress.

As I was saying, flamboyant villainy is fun. And if the villain is gorgeous, in the bargain? Bonus! :D

snape

Post by snape » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:30 am

Thanks a lot Marie! :-)

Your so right Minuet

Yours Snape

snape

The Patriot-Deleted Scenes

Post by snape » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:34 am

Hei Girls,
if I tell you a story, Im not sure that you believe me... but it's true.

I bought The Patriot, our normal Version and on the cover it WAS written: Incl. deleted scenes. There were NO deleted scenes on the DVD!!!!

I was angry, but such things may happen.. i thought I will be very smart and buy a DVD in USA, because probably there was a registration error by the European ones.... I bought a special edition, and it was written incl. deleted scenes... BUT there are NO deleted scenes....
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!
Does somebody know more about this very special DVD??

Yours Snape

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:29 am

It took me forever to find them on mine, so you may have done what I did. There are actually 2 pages of special features. The deleted scenes are on the second page. At the top of the first page is a little shape like this >. It's really hard to see, until you highlight it. You click on that little shape, and it will take you to the second page, where the deleted scenes are.

snape

THAAAAAANNNKKKKSSSS

Post by snape » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:37 pm

I got it, I got it, I got it!!!!!!!

Thanks alo minuet!!!!! Thaaaaaaaanks!!!!!

Yours Snape

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:35 am

God bless you, Min!

(Somewhere someone has a very nice screenshot of this--maybe it's Char? I should put one up myself.)

Thong of thunder

Post by Thong of thunder » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 pm

Ok Tavigation

Tavigation = Yum with Dark hair

Lucius = yum with blonde hair

jasson issac with long hair = * droolathon*

Thong of thunder

The Patriot

Post by Thong of thunder » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:26 pm

Yum..

*cough* Oh I mean!
im wacthing the Patriot and I have decided to share soem yummy photos ( Bellal youll recognise them cause im just copying and pasting the ones ive posted on MM )
We all deserve a Drool!

thois one is a bit of a joke, my other screen name is Slytherin Lass hence the caption;

Bellatrix

Re: Wildevine

Post by Bellatrix » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:26 pm

Wildevine wrote: I didn't even notice the other actors.
Janet.
There were other actors in that film??? :shock:

:twisted:

Thong of thunder

Post by Thong of thunder » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:16 pm

There was a guy whos hed got blown off!

Im sad .. .i wacthed that scene the most.. and rewinded it so his head got reatached then wacthed it get blown off in slow mo...

Return to “Older classics”