Just a thought!

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

malfoygrandma

Just a thought!

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon May 03, 2010 11:05 am

:bat I wish the US would adopt a policy of helping starving nations out by teaching them all about birth control, so that they would stop having so many children who must die from the lack of family planning.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 am

It's poverty that is the problem in those countries. People there need their children to make sure someone is there to take care of them when they get too old to take care of them selves. Since death rate among children is very high there, they get a lot of children to make sure some of them grow up.

Knowledge about birth control has nothing to do with them getting a lot of children. Bringing them out of poverty is the only thing that will help.

malfoygrandma

Ah yes,!

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon May 03, 2010 3:48 pm

:mrgreen: I knew you'd say that, darlin'! And overpopulation kills the earth, as well as all the animals for which no space is left, such as wolves, lions, tigers, elephants, and the other creatures.......

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon May 03, 2010 4:02 pm

:lol Yes, but seriously: Birth control?!?! I thought I was the blond one...

"...and condoms will save the world" :furthermore

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon May 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Since many of the worlds poor are Catholics and the Catholic church is against birth control this is a big problem.
Also the U.S. and the restrictions we put on aid concerning birth control adds to the problem.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I have to agree that overpopulation is a serious problem, especially in third world countries. Why keep having children if you can't afford them?
Overpopulation and poverty are like interconnected, they often go hand-in-hand. Sadly, the poorest families are the ones who have the most children and, as a consequence, have to support more people with fewer, limited resources. And, their children are doomed to a life of poverty...
We live in a f* up world.

~me

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 am

In most countries, they already know about birth control, and they choose not to use it. If we want them to have fewer children, we have to look at the reasons they get a lot of children, and do something about those reasons. Then they will start to use birth control.

We have to ask ourselves: WHY are they having a lot of babies? Handing out condoms and give information about birth control doesn't help if they don't want to use it. That's our perspective of seeing the problem. We can't help them solve it unless we see it from their perspective: Having a lot of children is the only insurance they have that someone will take care of them when they get older. They don't have pension funds or nursing homes. They need a lot of children to make sure some of their children grow up. (Because death rate among children is high) People aren't stupid, they have logical reasons for doing thing the way they do. Poverty is the reason they get a lot of children, and a lot of children increases poverty. It’s an evil circle. To break the circle - get rid of poverty.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 am

Poverty is the reason they get a lot of children, and a lot of children increases poverty.
Yes, it is a vicious circle. Like I said, overpopulation and poverty go hand in hand.

~me

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 pm

As long as men see birth control as a women's problem - women will continue to have babies whether they can afford to or want to. In many African countries with very high aids rates - they already know that condoms can prevent the spread of aids - but men don't like using condoms - so women continue to get pregnant and get aids and have HIV babies. Very sad. I'm very glad I was born in a developed country - geez women are still behind in pay in the US - I can't imagine what most of the women of the world (in third world countires) are forced to go through in their lives.

Jacq58

Post by Jacq58 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:12 am

I heard on the TV that men believe that the more children they have the more masculine they appear to other men no matter how poor they are! This is crazy thinking!

It's not just learning about birth control, it's education that they need. Our Prime Minister doesn't want to get involved in this subject because it includes abortion.

I read an article recently, and I wish I hadn't thrown out the paper, that there's a group that's trying to make rape and sexual assault a male issue rather than female. Because women have to deal with sexual assault men don't really have much involvement, whereas, if men are faced with the fact that they're the cause of most sexual assaults perhaps males would be raised differently.

I hope I've explained myself properly.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am

Several excellent points all 'round--my niece is in southern Africa (Lesotho) with the Peace Corps, and recently encountered the grotesque assertion that developed nations (I guess the U.S., but maybe anyone UN-affiliated) is trying to destroy them with condoms. Not merely by diminishing their population, but by sending them condoms that are contaminated with HIV, other diseases--even broken glass.
From what I've read, yes, education all around. Better-educated women have fewer children; with better maternal/child healthcare, more babies survive to adulthood so women give birth to fewer; with better-educated babies come better jobs, so fewer children are still able to support parents.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I have to admit that it's not just the undeveloped countries that have birth control problems. Our own country is not always up to snuff.
Many parents will not allow their children to be taught about birth control in school. They say that they don't want other people to teach their children, but they either can't or won't teach their children so many children are ignorant and that's where the problems start.
Education sometimes has to start with the parents. The problem just goes round and round.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 11, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't know if it is still the case but I do remember that because of the population problem in parts of China people were limited to one [or two] children and that is the reason why so many girl babies are up for adoption [male being the preffered sex for their children for some strange reason!!]

I think the most barbaric thing is that some of these tiny girls don't even make it to orpanages and will be murdered as soon as they are born, and the parents will keep on going until they have their baby boy. Just horrible!!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Heather, friends have adopted two Chinese girls now. Both are adorable.
Breaks your heart to think what happens to the unlucky ones.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue May 11, 2010 8:09 pm

The last i heard China was thinking of removing the cap on babies.
One problem they had is the boy babies grew up but there was a shortage of women for them.
Nobody could figure that out til now?

Return to “The Bitch Box”