Bit Creepy!

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Heather

Bit Creepy!

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Prince William got engaged today to Kate Middleton and he has given her his dead mothers engagement ring, everyone thinks it's sentimental I think it's a bit creepy.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 pm

It is a beautiful ring - and the way the general public adored Diana - I'm sure his fiance is very happy with it. I wish them the very best. It must be difficult to be in the lime light with everyone watching your every move, speach, clothes, etc.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm

I heard about that. I think it's both sentimental and creepy. Creepy because I hope the damn paparazzi don't make her life a living hell the way they did Princess Diana's.

The wedding will be a nice distraction next year. Of course, it can't be the lavish affair that his parents had. These are different times. As an Anglophile, I'm looking forward to it.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 pm

I hope her wedding dress will be a bit more tasteful then Diana's, I know it was the style at the time but I will never forget the disappointment I felt when she stepped out of that coach in that huge crumpled mess of an excuse for a wedding dress. They should have shot those Emmanuels.

She is a lovely girl Kate, she does get a lot of stick because her Mum and Dad are just "Commoners" her mum was an air hostess and her dad has his own business, people have been calling her "waitey Katie" because she has been waiting for years for William to propose.

I am just glad that they have been together for eight years and they know each other really well, bodes well for the future. :D

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:05 pm

I thought it was creepy too. Though I suppose it would be a shame to store that beautiful ring and not use it.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:03 pm

??

What's creepy about using the ring of a parent, grandparent, ancestor?

I don't get it.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Well...I don't get it either :?:
Anyways, I think Prince William and Kate Middleton make a beautiful couple. kate is very pretty.

~me

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 am

I agree with you Angel.

I would have used my Mother's ring or worn a piece of her jewellery she died of cancer when I was 16, so it would have obviously been in tribute.

Roseanna.

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:53 am

The fact that the ring represents a marriage where the person it originally belonged to was being cheated on from day one, the woman was hounded to her death so the ring doesn't really have a fairytale story attached to it.

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:03 am

I think it was just a fitting tribute to his Mother

They, as a couple, seem level headed and hopefully this relationship wont be a repeat of the relationship his Mother had.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:18 pm

The one tribute that I hope he makes to his mother, when he becomes king, is to restore her title to Her Royal Highness. Of course, I won't be around to see it, due to Windsor longevity. :roll:

person it originally belonged to was being cheated on from day one, the woman was hounded to her death so the ring doesn't really have a fairytale story attached to it.

Truer words were never spoken.

Lisabella

Post by Lisabella » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:30 pm

person it originally belonged to was being cheated on from day one, the woman was hounded to her death so the ring doesn't really have a fairytale story attached to it.
Not even royaltiy is excluded from such things^^ Just look at Karl Gustav, king of sweden he was meeting prostitutes.

It's a man's nature to behave like an a**h*le I guess.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Difference of opinion, I guess.

A piece of jewelry is just that, a piece of jewelry.

If you get a ring from a great-grandparent, you also don't know what their marriage was like. Or you get a bracelet from an aunt, maybe she cheated on her husband from day one, but they're not in a position where you knew about it. So ... what? Do you never take family heirlooms?

I'd imagine the prince sees the ring as his mother's, period. The state of her marriage is irrelevant to the fact that it was something of his mother's, that was on her finger all the time. YK?

I guess I'm taking this a little bit personally because my "engagement ring" is also my mother-in-law's, and she died before I met DH, and to be honest, not only was her marriage crap, she was abusive. And despite the fact that she beat him, she was his mother, and it was her ring, and it's actually all he's got from her. So he gave it to me.

And to be even more honest, his parents were dirt poor (his father ran a small grocery store), and the ring is clearly some kind of crystal and not a diamond. Whether they knew it or not doesn't matter. It's a piece of her, so it's important to him. No matter how crappy the relationship, you only get one mother.

YKWIM?

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Good point APK, dont worry, I took it personally too.

The ring my Mother gave me is the only thing I have left of her. I was only guessing in estimation that from his point of view it was a fitting tribute to her as a Person.

My Father was exactly the same to my Mother.

Rose

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 pm

One of the Newspaper Columnists today called it "The Ring of Doom" I really hope she is wrong and you are right a.p.k, I don't think Prince William is thinking of the ring in those terms, he loved his mother very much and Kate calls her an "Inspirational Woman" and she is honoured to wear the ring AND! Do you know when Prince Charles bought it for Princess Diana it cost £25,000 today it is worth £85,000 and whatever the history behind it it is a darn beautiful ring and what is the point of having it locked away in some safe forever more.

Return to “General Forum”