HP promotional interviews, etc.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Fantastic, Char! Thank you.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:20 am

Here's a good transcript:

Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton Interview

How would you describe the 10 years you’ve been doing the "Harry Potter" films?

Felton: It’s very hard to put a sentence to that. It’s been my life for the last 10 years. I’ve grown up with everyone on the set — the cast and crew. I’ve joined as a young boy, and I left as a young man, which is kind of weird, because I’ve lost a bit in the middle. It all seems like a little bit of a "blurred into one." Certainly, in the last few years, looking back on it, it’s been an incredible journey. I’ve been incredibly lucky to be a part of it.

Jason, what can you say about some of your other "Harry Potter" co-stars?

Isaacs: Yeah, I’d pinch myself every day. Most films, you sit around. It’s an in-joke among actors that you don’t get paid to act; you get paid to wait. But on these ["Harry Potter"] films, because they’re big special-effects films, there’s an enormous amount of time sitting around waiting. When you’re sitting around listening to the likes of Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman and Michael Gambon and Jim Broadbent and Billy Nighy — the list goes on and on — I would’ve waited all day and all night for free. Don’t tell Warner Bros., but I would’ve done it for free.

How fun is it to play villains?

Felton: I think we had the most fun of the bunch.

Isaacs: Possibly. We got a journey. They [Lucius and Draco Malfoy] started out as obnoxious. Draco was just a snotty little git whom you despise. And then you see his father’s who’s worse and clearly bullies him, and you begin to understand why the kid is the way he is. And what’s satisfying for the audience and great for me, the actor, is that by the time you get to "Deathly Hallows — Part 1," Lucius a horrible, emasculated shambling husk of a man you first met. For me, that was a fabulous thing to get to do on screen.

Felton: It is fantastic. I reveled in the first five years of being a "snotty git," as you thoughtfully put it. And it’s really nice to step behind the scenes and actually see why he is like that and to see the bonds between Draco and his family. And to see him in the positions he’s been put in over the last couple of years. I remember reading the sixth ["Harry Potter"] book back in the day, and reveling in it and looking forward to Draco’s journey from there. And obviously, it continues in the seventh.

In "Deathly Hallows — Part 1," there’s that great scene near the beginning of the film with Voldemort and all the other villains gathered at a dinner table. Tom, what was it like working with all these veteran actors in that scene?

Felton: I was petrified. We were there for a couple of weeks. For two days, I kept to myself and kept my mouth shut, because I’m sitting around a table with British acting legends, my heroes, my idols. So it was a bit bizarre, needless to say, but as Jason demonstrates, most of them are wonderful people who are very easy to talk to, and once you get past …

Isaacs: They’re British. They just working actors who roll up their sleeves and get on with it. Nobody’s a legend once you spend five minutes in makeup with them.

Felton: And that’s it. It’s bizarre, isn’t it? I remember spending six years to muster up the courage to speak to Alan [Rickman] about "Prince of Thieves." And when I did, he was more than happy to talk to me about.

Didn’t you step on Alan Rickman’s cape at some point?

Felton: Yes. In the previous film [2009’s "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"], I do. His cloak sweeps along like a bit of a wedding dress. And Master Yates [director David Yates] was keen for me to get up right behind him, and I actually trod on his cape, giving him a mild whiplash. He forgave me though. It’s all good.

What is it like to work with Ralph Fiennes and the transformation he goes though when he plays Voldemort?

Isaacs: Well, most of the transformation takes place on the motherboard away from us, because he has a nose when we shoot, obviously. But Ralph is a phenomenal actor. The great thing about acing in the "Potter" films is that acting is the process of imagining you are in a situation, they make it so easy for you. They build these spectacular sets.

And the other actors are so brilliant, like Ralph, who becomes this cobra-like evil personified, that it makes it easy to be terrified of him. It makes it easy to cringe and go moist with terror … I [as Lucius Malfoy] think he’s going to kill me at my dining room table in front of my contemporaries. He snaps my wand, which for wizard is symbolic and painful. And it was an enjoyably horrendous moment for me.

Felton: This was the first time I got to work with [Ralph Fiennes]. I actually hadn’t met Ralph before this film. I’d seen him briefly at a premiere, but this was the first time that I actually got to see him face-to-face. And of course, he was in his full get-up. He has a nose, but it’s still rather alarming to see the makeup and the whole suit. He’s a charming, lovely gentleman, but very quickly he snaps into this whole other creature.

And it’s the same with Jason and Helena [Bonham Cater], actually. It’s hilarious to watch these three have a conversation about a film they once watched or something. And then they roll cameras and literally, all three of them turn into complete psychos! It’s really enjoyable to watch. When you put those three in a room, you’ve got a real show.

How do you feel about the end of the "Harry Potter" movie series?

Isaacs: It’s not really done. We’re talking to you. There’s the film coming out and another film ["Deathly Hallows — Part 2] coming out in July [2011]. At some point, you feel the loss of something when it’s no longer in your life. Well, it’s still in our lives, and it will be for a while to come. I anticipate that we’ll be talking about these ["Harry Potter"] films and talking about the release of them in different formats until I’m old and gray and possibly dead.

Have you been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Florida?

Felton: Yes, and I thoroughly recommend anyone who hasn’t. It’s a whole world in itself.

Isaacs: It’s missing a Malfoy House of Horror.

Felton: It’s a good point. Well said! I hadn’t thought about that.

Did you get to keep any "Harry Potter" memorabilia from the movie sets?

Isaacs: I couldn’t possibly say, because we’re not allowed to keep anything from the set. I’m hoping that the Dementors don’t come around to my house and do a search.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:26 am

Lovely! Thank you Char, for the screen caps and the transcript of the interview :hug

Have we seen this video? I'm not sure (sorry if this has been posted before, but I just received a google alert ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRK6bO6dzA

~me

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 am

thanx so much Char for the fabulous screen caps and transcript :woot

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks Char! Image

and Angel. That's a new one for me. Image

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks, Char and Angel. :hug

What a nice treat after work.:D

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 am

and literally all three of them turn into complete psychos!
Lucius, a psycho? :scratch Bellatrix is growing even more mental, though. HBC did a phenom job. :hands
I didn't get to view this interview before, so thank you for the verbatim.
I saw Tom on Jay Leno this past week, and he brought that cape incident up. LOL! ::rofl Poor Tom!

~ML ;-)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:40 am

I just saw this movie and loved it! Jason was amazing in his role, as always, but he didn't have too much screen time :(

SPOILERS!

I cried when Dobby died...

Okay, gotta go now. Will write more later.

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Angel Tavington wrote:I just saw this movie and loved it! Jason was amazing in his role, as always, but he didn't have too much screen time :(

SPOILERS!
I cried when Dobby died...
Okay, gotta go now. Will write more later.

~me
me, too. :bawl

~ML :hands

*despite having had technical difficulties, and having to start over (incl. trailers for other movies), this was a fab premiere day*

~ML *GO LUCIUS* :adore

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:28 pm

I was really surprised that I shed a tear since I'm not overly fond of Dobby. But I took out my tissue......

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:33 pm

How could anyone not cry for Dobby as well as Hedwig?
SPOILERS
Hedwig was the first magical creature he "met" and was with him 24/7, through the long summers at the Dursleys'. Although Hedwig gave the real Harry away in Part 1, she died protecting him. And though Dobby gave Harry trouble when they first met, Harry's kind treatment of him made
Dobby one of his staunchist protectors, saving Harry from Lucius's avada kedarva curse.

I couldn't help crying for either of them.

Lisabella

Post by Lisabella » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Spoilers

For me there wasn't an opportunity to cry when Hedwig died. It was too fast. Even in the book nobody really recognized it apart from Harry ( I hope I remeber right) and now the movie...Just the lightning, Harry looking sad and- forgotten. :-(

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm

From Feltbeats.com

But wasn’t Draco treated sort of unfairly?
Damn right! He doesn’t even get any girlfriend… what’s up with that?! (laughs) We’ve actually talked about this as well – Daniel and I have said that Harry and Draco are like two sides of the same coin. But Harry has all these fantastic influences – Dumbledore, Hagrid, his great friends – whereas Draco just has the worst of the worst. Certainly the worst parents and Auntie Bellatrix is pretty mad. And Voldemort, again, is not the nicest soul in the world. So, yeah, Christmas was a real drag for Draco, as you can imagine, it wasn’t much fun for him. I guess he’s kind of a victim of his circumstances. He wasn’t born evil, he’s been thrust into this horribly world unwillingly.

What do you focus on when you try to play Draco?
I think trying to make him villainous doesn’t really work too well. There needs to be something, I suppose, effortless about his villainy, if you will, that doesn’t seem forced or too rehearsed. Generally, it was nice to have Jason [Isaacs, who plays Lucius Malfoy] as something to model yourself around because he does it exceptionally well. I remember after the second film, with him coming along, it became a lot easier for me to play a horrible villain because he’s the nicest guy in the world, charming, and he can turn very quickly when they start rolling cameras. It’s quite scary.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:14 pm

effortless about his villainy,

I have to admit, on the Hogwarts Express when Draco glimpsed movement on the overhead baggage rack and waits till everyone has left the train so he can use the petrificu totalus curse on Harry . . . Tom looked and acted very Lucius-like: smooth, calculating, and sinister. I like to think that Jason's talent rubbed off on him.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:00 am

Entertainment Weekly has a great article this week on the Villains of Deathly Hallows. Harry's Worst Enemies.
All the characters you don't usually read about. Voldemort, Sevrus Snape, Bellatrix Lestrange, Draco Malfoy, Lucius Malfoy, Scabor, Wormtail.
They show a picture of the actor in and out of character and also a short interview.
Very Good recognition for the other characters.

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”