The Patriot

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Malfoy Grandma

Tavington and poetry!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:52 am

:twisted: Well, I might as well confess! I am just finishing yet another novel which no one will buy but who cares! And in it I include several poetry pieces, which I hope will become songs for a film! (Picture here delusional Grandma!" Thought you Tavington fans might enjoy my poem/song about our beloved Colonel!

The Swordsman, my hard-mouthed lover,
has looked too long
at men dying under his sword,
seeing death in their eyes.
Now holding me strongly
in muscled arms
he sees the power of life
his flesh holds
in my melting eyes,
and lives to kill another man
tomorrow.

Oh, well!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:41 pm

I just now got round to seeing that, MG--I find it quite moving.

TavyTavyTavyTavy.
He was the first character I ever saw Jason Isaacs play, and I was just delighted with him. Like Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham, he seemed (unlike the earnest Yanks surrounding him) to have a sense of humour, to be aware of the ridiculousness of the story and just to be enjoying himself.

There are people whose doctorates derive from their analysis of the appeal of this sort of character--I think there are two components. One is that Tavington allows us to indulge in fantasies about aspects of masculine character that are just too frightening to contemplate in real life. There is a startlingly large number of women who fantasize about rape, for example, under circumstances when it couldn't possibly occur. Nobody really wants to be raped, but it can be stimulating to imagine it in complete privacy and safety. Among other things, as a 'victim' you can be totally submissive in a way that might revolt you in real life. You can indulge in behaviour you'd never permit yourself, because you're 'forced to'. You can even imagine, in complete violation of fact, that your 'attacker' is moved by intense desire for you, that you have awakened an undeniable lust.
And Tavington, as a fictional character who only exists when you turn your television on, is a very safe entity to include in that sort of thing.

The other primal attraction of such a character appeals to what my scientist friend calls the "lizard brain": this is clearly, from a biological stand-point, a good partner for perpetuation of the species. He'd plainly be able to provide for you--whatever you need he seems happy to help himself to; and he's plainly got plenty of, um, vitality. He's clad, like a cave-man, in plenty of fur and leather, and provided with any number of fetishist's accessories.
An iota of more evolved thought would send you screaming to the cellar while dialing 911 if you ever actually laid eyes on him, but the close-up shots of his face as he catches sight of his prey reveal such engagement, such arousal, that you can't help being caught up in his sheer animal energy.

Them's my thoughts on the matter anyhow.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:10 am

I thought he looked sexy and acted well, too.

And, lest Aussie Jo busts a gasket . . . or our gaskets . . ., it's Tavvy Tavvy Tavvy Tavvy!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:15 pm

Spoken like an editor! :D

Malfoy Grandma

Col. Tavington unreal and gorgeous.

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:25 am

:roll: Well now I am punished! I love that website called YouTube where folks like us run their really neat little original videos out of images like Chars or from real film. It is fun and there are lots of nice things showing JI. So being a big-mouth, I love to comment and got a question which asked "You being an American woman, how do you justify liking a British enemy Colonel of such a bad reputation?" I am not sure he was kidding or serious, I took it seriously and said it was Jason I really liked, and was admiring my favorite actor in a merely fictional role, because no real British officer during the revolution would ever have considered burning a church full of women and children! Looking back, I wonder why I bothered, but it was a German teenager asking. But every once in awhile I have to remember "fiction" "acting" "for fun" and all that stuff. Lecturing again.

Amy_Louise

Post by Amy_Louise » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:19 pm

Of course there's the hotness factor, naturally, but then I began to love the character simply out of spite. I'm American and even I don't appreciate the completely slanted take on the English in that movie. I've studied American History in college and the way they portrayed the English is offensive to anyone with half a brain! :roll:

malfoygrandma

Tavington

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:47 pm

:mrgreen: I think one should not try to learn any history including American from a fictional piece! But on the other hand, Tavington is a well-written character with whom we can sympathize, because his father lost all of the family fortune, which as oldest son William would have inherited all. Now he must work hard at being the best soldier he can be for a snobby overlord who is in with royalty (the fact that the real general was one of the best of English soldiers does not matter here) and all that blood and stuff does no good if he does not control himself! Very nice piece of characterization, and lovely casting, good directing of Jason. Though we may find poor old Mel a bit off-putting! Sorry! Preaching again! I love Jason as Tavington!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Just some eye-candy

Post by Chari910 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:31 pm

Sorry they maybe too big and may distort the webpage some..

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:47 pm

Nice eyecandy, Char. Thanks!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:07 pm

:woot
Thanx Char, those pics are awesome...can't sleep NOW :hit

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:45 am

Sorry they maybe too big

NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Char!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:29 pm

[drool] [slip] [thud] [chirping birds]

Luv

Post by Luv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm addicted to youtube as well...and one of those hot Tavington vids is partly responsible for why I'm here.

Villains by-and-large are always more interesting than their counterparts. I've always been much more drawn to them, and usually the more heinous they are, the more I like them...Col. Tavington is no exception.

The cool thing is...he's almost purely evil...but they do give us an opportunity to have a hint of pity for him too. I always feel kinda bad for the guy when Cornwallis is reaming him out. It seems that everyone hates him, they all sorta roll their eyes when he walks in, etc. But I really think HE thinks what he's doing is right. He's dedicated! You gotta give him that!

He's the best part of the movie, hands down. It would have been a big ol' *yawn* without him.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:09 pm

AMAZING pics! how could I miss that? The Patriot is still one of my favourite movies ever. Seeing Jason acting as Colonel Tavington...the way he plays his role, fantastic, well, it leaves me without words. He really knows how to incorporate a character, I still think of William Tavington everytime I look at Jason's face. lol

malfoygrandma

Char's great portraits!

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:16 am

:bat Naighty, naughty artist lady, presenting us our fetishes so clearly! What a great jog, Char. Thanks! But that nasty snarling one makes me think of werewolves, and oh, Char, wouldn't the Col. make a lovely werewolf, bursting out of that uniform, howling at the southern moon! I better get away, before someone throws too much wolfbane on me.

Return to “Older classics”