Jason in Copenhagen

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Re: Jason in Copenhagen

Post by Chari910 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Superb! Thank you! I do think the quality is better as well.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

No problem, Char

Here's the translation of the article posted earlier in this thread:

Lucius Malfoy is the magical world’s answer to Geert Wilders

Information has met the actor, Jason Isaacs, who for the last ten years has been playing Lucius Malfoy, Voldemort’s most faithful servant in the magical universe of J.K. Rowling. In Harry Potter, Lucius Malfoy is the magical world’s answer to the absent boarding school father or the racist politician.

The actor, Jason Isaacs, has interpreted the role of Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter for the last 10 years. Lucius Malfoy goes from being a racist, oppressive, superior, narrow-minded snob to being a castrated isolated loser.

The character of Lucius Malfoy has been Voldemort's sidekick since JK Rowling’sthe first book of JK Rowling. With his long white hair and Ice blue eyes, he has been spitting on muggles and harassing the chosen one, Harry Potter, who at only one year of age managed to force Voldemort, the Dark Lord, to go underground for years.

The last movie in the series premiers on Wednesday, and Information has met the actor, Jason Isaacs, who, over the last ten years, has interpreted the role of Lucius Malfoy, the father of Harry Potter’s the Slytherin boy, Draco Malfoy.

“Lucius’ character has his raison d’etre; he is there to explain why Draco has become the way he is. Lucius shows how it is to have a father who has a big ego and is full of fear and incapable of showing love. Harry Potter is possibly afraid when he makes his heroic choices, but with Draco’s background he is actually the bravest character in the story,” Jason Isaacs says.

English boarding school father

If Jason Isaacs is going to find words to describe his character over ten years, the first word he thinks of is racist. From the beginning of the book, Lucius Malfoy’s primary role has been to jeopardise Harry Potter’s heroic actions and humiliate the muggles and the half-blood wizards (also called the mudbloods, the ones who are descended from a magical person and a regular person). When Voldemort was underground, the Malfoy family convinced the world that Lucius Malfoy was under the Imperius curse which made him support Voldemort. Here, JK Rowling showed that Lucius Malfoy basically just wanted to be as close as possible to the power and protected his status while secretly still spreading his hatred of muggles. For example, he tried to trick Ginny Weasley, the youngest daughter in the favorite family in the Harry Potter universe, into a deadly trap.

The other word that Jason Isaacs thinks of when referring to Lucius is power-hungry. Even if Lucius through the ten books (I start to wonder what book series this journalist has been researching) loses his status with Voldemort and ends up in the wizard prison Azkaban, he stays cold and distant.

According to Jason Isaacs, Lucius Malfoy’s story is equal to the story of many men in England.

“He is the epitome of the absent parent who sends his child to a boarding school and forgets to speak to them until they come home many years later. There are hundreds of years of history of parents in England who have sent their children away without so much as a hug. He is the epitome of the distanced, aloof father who believes you should brutalize your children to prepare them for life,” he says.
"In that way, Lucius Malfoy’s character helps to justify and explain why thousands of English boys have had their relationship with love and intimacy corrupted,” Jason Isaacs points out.

Right-extremism

To many children the story of the Death Eaters’ (Voldemort’s supporters) hate towards the Muggles will be just as well known as the Nazis’ propaganda against the Jews before and during World War 2. There are many similarities to Nazism in JK Rowling’s books, where the Death Eaters clean out the Ministry for Magic’s employees and torture people to make them reveal their blood status, and imprison all the so called mudbloods.

According to Jason Isaacs, we don’t have to go far back in time to find the equivalents to Lucius Malfoy in the real world.

“I thought initially in my preparations for the role that he was the image of a typical Nazi, but unfortunately in the last ten years, a new and legitimate wave of right extremism has appeared in Europe and USA. I have often come across politicians who, like Lucius Malfoy, have made the fight against immigrants their number one issue. And I have had to realize that Malfoy is creepily contemporary. In Lucius Malfoy’s world, it’s the fight against muggles and their migration into the Magical world; in our real society, it’s the Muslims that the far right wing politicians are afraid of.
In the books and the movies, Lucius goes from being a racist oppressive narrow-minded snob to ending up as a castrated isolated loser, which Jason Isaacs emphasis probably won’t happen to men like Geert Wilders, Pia Kiersgaard or the late Jörg Haider or Jean Marie le Pen.

“Lucius Malfoy ends up isolated from his family and isolated from Voldemort, the man that he passionately wants to be close to. He ends up like a shadow of himself in all the relationships in his life.”

The last film “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2” premiers in Denmark on Wednesday, July 13.

I translated, Laurielove made it more readable afterwards. That's team work! Thanks Laurielove :hug

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Thank you so much Thunder for the interview and translation of the questions into English.

Even more so to Thunder and Laurielove for the transalation of the article.

As always, Jason is superb when being interviewed.

Hooroo,
Carole
Last edited by crawfoc99 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:42 pm

We are lucky to share the love with such an interesting, varied, capable group of fans! Thanks!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks Thunder. :D

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:33 am

It's actually thanks to Laurielove... she did almost as much translating as me. I am fine understanding English and Danish, but to go form Danish to English... my brain's language center just got very confused, and I couldn't find any English words that made sense. Laurielove did a great job finding the words, and I actually think I learned even more English from it. :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:00 am

thanx thunder :hug thanx laurilove :hug
wonderful to have such a diverse fan base for Jason ...

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:08 am

Kudos to Laurielove and Thunder, thank you both....we indeed have amazing ladies here. :hugs :hugs

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:16 am

It was fun looking over it but Thunder must take all the credit for it. She did a fantastic job and her English is incredible. I simply looked it over to make it a little more readable (not that much looking over was needed). I enjoyed it. Tusen takk, Thunder. xxx

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks Thunder and Laurielove :hug

~me

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Oops.

Thanks Laurie, too. :D

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Can I just say that any HP errors in the article are the fault of the original journalist - ie the wrong idea of what a mudblood is and the idea that Lucius was present from the first book. :roll: We just translated as we found it.

It is rather odd to translate something back into English which was originally in English - it would be interesting to compare it to what Mr I actually said. :scratch

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:59 pm

laurielove wrote:Can I just say that any HP errors in the article are the fault of the original journalist - ie the wrong idea of what a mudblood is and the idea that Lucius was present from the first book. :roll: We just translated as we found it.

It is rather odd to translate something back into English which was originally in English - it would be interesting to compare it to what Mr I actually said. :scratch
We sort of gathered that, Laurielove. I don't know if it's just sloppy journalism or something that got lost in translation, but I get sick of people not doing their research properly. I also hate seeing the same text being posted across the web time and again, being put forward as original work. I wish people would take the time to do their own work. Plagiarism is a very poor excuse in today's media savvy environment.

:bang OK, off my soapbox now.

Hooroo,
Carole

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:05 pm

marilaine wrote:OMG! I :adore it when he wears a black t-shirt. Ooooo-la-LA!

~ML :adore :woot :orangface
He looks soooo good in a black shirt. *sighs* Great picture.

~me

Return to “All Things Harry Potter”