Finally seeing Passionada

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Malfoy Grandma

Finally seeing Passionada

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am

:oops: I did not have a chance to see Passionada before now, just bought it for my birthday. I really like it very much and will be looking at it often. JI is always good with the ladies, isn't he? Well, that's why we like him! As to getting that big breakthrough movie, Americans have a certain bias about looks evidently, prefer someone who might not be a really good actor, but has that certain LOOK, that look that, oh, say, Charleton Heston has when young.....the suffering hero, too good to do wrong but always wronged.....the look that young Paul Newman had, and Robert Redford, and Brad Pitt.....rather pretty, looking like he needs somebody to help him along.... I might as well forget it. But those fellows did well in spite of themselves because the big time male directors saw that LOOK! And if there is one thing you can say about our JI, he does NOT look cute and helpless! Although I am sure he could do so if it were called for in the script. Anyway, I like Passionada very much!

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:47 pm

There's some great kissing in that movie. BTW have you watched with the DVD commentary on? It's great. Dan Ireland (the director), Sofia, and Jason do the commentary, and they're all really funny and so sweet to each other.

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:37 am

Love that movie as well and the commentary is great fun to listen to....hearing Jason as Jason is always the best as are Sofia and Dan Ireland in that you get some thoughts as to what went on in some of the scenes!! :D

Hugs,
Kate

Malfoy Grandma

JI's hair in Passionada

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:48 am

:oops: Sorry to be such a dummy! I just found a comment on another site which says "He had just finished the bald role in Blackhawk when he went into shooting Passionada so had no hair, and accepted this unfortunate wig!" Well, I guess that explains something about hair, but probably not was I was originally thinking about, but anything more than two days back falls into short-term memory for this old lady!

Malfoy Grandma

Passionada Gossip

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:16 am

:roll: Well, I see that people really enjoyed listening to the director and the actors talking, and it was very nice. I was interested to hear our JI share things, such as saying that he and sweet wife went to NY for in vitro, and then by the time they shot the alternate (good!) ending for the film a year later, the first Isaacs baby was born. Also, JI said he used an expression in the film which his wife liked very much, "You make me want to be me." Very nice, and she must be a wonderful lady.

ScienceIsPhun

Post by ScienceIsPhun » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:45 pm

I loved all of Jason's comments on Passionada. I'm re-watching it again before I have to return the dvd to the store tomorrow.

I honestly cracked up like crazy when Jason jumped in, during his commentary, and substituted his line for "sex". At least I think it was him who said that, not the director.

He's honestly so funny and charming.

I'm not a big fan of the lead actress though. For some reason, maybe because I am biased toward Jason, I didn't like how she talked way too much about herself. I was hoping to hear more from Jason.

Either they're (Jason and the director) are the most tolerant men in the world or I'm just being a silly Jason-fan.

-Sip

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:45 pm

I agree with you Sip, as I saw her on a talk show promoting the movie and she NEVER once mentioned Jason, just talked about herself!!

I never cared one way or the other and I did enjoy her with Jason in the movie, just thought she was a bit self-centered in that interview. Heck without Jason you wouldn't have had that GREAT food scene!!(Thud)LOL

Hugs,
Kate

ScienceIsPhun

Post by ScienceIsPhun » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:00 am

Hey Catloveyes

I've never seen an interview with that woman but I got the sense she's pretty egotistical from the cast and director commentaries alone.

I suppose that's why a lot of actors mention dating other actors are difficult because actors are often egotistical.

I suppose it makes sense........I mean if they didn't have that sort of personality they probably wouldn't have become actors in the first place.

BUT I MUST INSIST that Jason is incredibly humble and funny and he always praises other actors.

I'm not a huge fan of the female lead because she kept talking about how she's much younger than the make-up artist made her look...and how she had the best legs......I don't know if you heard that during the commentary. At first I thought I simply didn't get her kind of sarcasm but after a while......I started to suspect that she was being totally serious.

I just think it's weird that a person would feel compelled to keep touting her good-looks.

-Sip

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:13 am

I was struck by that too, SiP--though the legs of the stunt-person riding the motorcycle were perfectly lovely and a good physical match for Sofia Milos', she had to jump in and not just point out that they were not hers, but also insist without any audible irony that hers were better.

Bet she's lots of fun to hang around with. . .

She did apparently get her start as a model, so I suppose it's hardly shocking that she's, um, vigilant about her appearance, but yeah. Maybe we could move on.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:07 pm

I think her oddest comment was that of the love scene, when she bragged "I allowed myself to fall in love with you" -- meaning Jason, as if that were an emotion she could turn on at will. Granted, she is a beautiful woman and certainly not the worst actress I've seen, but attitudes like that that never reflect well on a person. It only makes them appear silly.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:37 pm

She also talked about Jason and his wife's pregnancy, which as far as I'm concerned, is so none of our business, and he might not have wanted that to be public knowledge. It was pretty rude of her, I think...But that's just my opinion!

-Foodie

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:37 pm

I bought the dvd and watched it a couple of months ago. Is there commentary on the whole film? I just listened to the commentary that went with the alternate ending. JI was quite funny then.

I enjoyed the film, because of JI. I had the same problem that I had with Four Weddings and a Funeral: how to cheer on a romance when you find one of the lovers less-than-likeable. Still, there are certain parts are definitely worthy of a re-watch.
;-)

fruitbat

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:14 pm

Yes, there is commentary on the entire film, with Dan Ireland (director), Sophia and Jason. It should be in the Special Features section. You must listen to it.

marilaine

Passionada

Post by marilaine » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:52 pm

I love, love, love, love, LOVE this movie...... :hug LOVE that Charlie Beck, man.....sweet, charming, so handsome......loved the lavender shirt in particular.....:drool. ~ML :cool:

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Marilaine, this is the movie where I discovered Mr Jason...SIGH...
it will always have a special place in my heart (hence the avatar)...
I've visited New Bedford and it's just as beautiful as in the film...

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”