Episode 2: The Little Guy

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Episode 2: The Little Guy

Post by thunder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:43 am

I think that was my favorite scene as well. I like the transition from the wife to the son in it. Yes, very emotional. I noticed that Michael Britten has got a tattoo as well - didn't see what it was. :scratch

This episode was a lot different than the first. A lot more about the police work. I still think it's amazing, but I think I personally liked the first one even better (But I'm not a fan of cop shows). Next episode looks great.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:07 pm

I love the domestic scenes much more than the police stuff too.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

My favorite was the twist at the end with his supervisor and the unknown man sitting on the bench. Intrigue!! :uhoh

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:35 pm

I also spotted the tattoo on Michaels left arm.....that black polo shirt looks familiar (he wore one in Brotherhood)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Cop shows aren't my thing either. I recall reading somewhere that every episode is different, I suppose the next one will focus on a different aspect (maybe on the domestic life?)

~me

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Yeah, the twist at the end-suddenly becoming more interesting! :shock:

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:20 pm

The tatt looks like an anchor

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:43 am

In one of the many interviews I read, Jason gave some background info on Michael....he was in the navy, moved to LA from NY, married Hannah when she was young. Moved to LA because of the Navy and stayed because he liked it...etc

The Anchor makes sense!!!!!!

THANX CHAR :woot

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:44 am

Very interesting ending. We all knew deep down inside that he did not drink and cause that accident. BUT who did and why?

I'm loving the different views of the two doctors!

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:12 am

I was very happy to see that they added the twist about others being involved. I think it gives the story a little bit more heft. Although, I noticed that she said that his "entire" family was killed, which begs the question, are they both dead? Otherwise you have redefine the term of family- is a family just a child or is it also the spouse and child? Semantics- I know... And is this convo only happening in the one reality? Will there be a similar convo soon in the other reality? Ahh...so many great questions to keep us going. :D

It also seemed like they tightened up and polished the transitions between realities. I'm not sure which transition I like better. The whole eye opening/waking up thing is more personal, but the fancy-dancy ink blot test things do make the transitions more concrete for folks who...errr...might need a more definitive transition.

fruitbat

Re: Episode 2: The Little Guy Spoilers

Post by fruitbat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Chari910 wrote:What is your favorite scene? I love how Michael told Rex to 'Wear a helmet' when Rex said he was going to the beach. Also when M was standing with his (wonderful) arms crossed watching Rex and Hannah ride the motorbike. Very touching..
I loved that scene too, Char. Switching between the two realities somehow made them both more possible. (I know that's not an option.)
LadySekhmet wrote:I was very happy to see that they added the twist about others being involved. I think it gives the story a little bit more heft. Although, I noticed that she said that his "entire" family was killed, which begs the question, are they both dead? Otherwise you have redefine the term of family- is a family just a child or is it also the spouse and child? Semantics- I know... And is this convo only happening in the one reality? Will there be a similar convo soon in the other reality? Ahh...so many great questions to keep us going. :D
My head, Lady Sekhmet!
One of the strengths of this show is that it leaves you asking questions after you've watched it.

Other points. Does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable with Dr. Judith's apparent joy at what she is seeing in her patient? You can see her mentally writing a paper for next year's big conference on neuropsychiatry.

One of my friends, (who fell asleep during episode 1 last week! nuke.gif ), caught up with both episodes. She asked me this question regarding the scene with Hannah and Rex's friend (Sam?): how did it happen. Mike/Michael wasn't there, so how did happen? Have we seen scenes with Rex in which Mike/Michael didn't appear?

Finally, who here is calling him Mike and who is calling him Michael? He is "Michael" in most Awake articles and on imdb. Steve Harris' character calls him Mike; what does Hannah call him? I shall call him Mike.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Giggle. Fruitbat, I'll be back next week with more questions - just for you! :hug

Yes, I had that exact same thought as I watched her start to slaver over his issues this week. As an academic, I recognize that paper-hungry look. Watch out, Michael!

Err...I guess I call him Michael. He does make a good Michael, doesn't he?

My thought was that they were showing the non-Michael scenes to 1. to build our relationship with her and the son more firmly, and 2. to give a better sense of reality to both of them. (Yes, we did- when Rex was with his buddy working on the bike and, then, promptly abandoned his buddy to go walking off with a girl.) Their supposed existence (and our empathy) grows stronger if we can imagine them each having their own lives outside of Michael's interactions with them. I guess we do need *some* time with the others. Sigh. (Even Lucius has been known to say, "Now, now. Play nicely, Draco," so I guess we must too... ;-) )

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

I think I heard Hanna call him Michael when he was talking about the 'dream' about Rex being alive. :scratch

The homeless man being interviewed had an amusing line: "Down there where down there is." :lol I was busy watching Jason/Michael's reaction, but I heard it.

~ML :loco :brows :cool:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:32 pm

I noticed that she said that his "entire" family was killed,

I'll have to watch it again - I thought she said something like - you didn't have to take out the entire family. (Causing the accident where all three could have been killed.)

And I felt that Jones character's persona was a great opposite of Wong's charater. I love how she is all cheerful and he is all doom and gloom.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:24 pm

LadySekhmet wrote:.... (Yes, we did- when Rex was with his buddy working on the bike and, then, promptly abandoned his buddy to go walking off with a girl.)....
Thanks. I was worried that it was some rather clumsy clue as to which one was real.

Return to “Awake”