Reviews: A Single Shot

Jason plays a vengeful backwoods criminal in pursuit of a hapless Sam Rockwell

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

LadySekhmet

Re: Reviews: A Single Shot

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:48 pm

*cough* I have to admit...I'm a lazy fangirl. *looks innocent* And since I've been finding these while procrastinating and going off on accidental "Ooh! Squirrel!"* tangents while trying to do real work, I haven't really been looking for anything on the other folks at the Berlin Festival, but if I do see something in my ramblings, I'll let you know.

*Quote shamelessly stolen from the Dog in Up.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 am

I think this is new:
Also showing up to uniformly limited effect are an unfortunately coiffed Jason Isaacs on chief villain duty,
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/rev ... n-the-dark

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 am

Well, from the photo we saw around summertime it did seem like he needed a good scrubbing. :cool: On a totally different note, I didn't realize until this review that the guy (cinematographer) who shot A Single Man did this movie, too. I thought ASM was a great movie (light and all).

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am

I liked A Single Man too.
Here's another review:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/feb ... iew-berlin
William H Macy steals a few scenes as an oddball lawyer called Daggard Pitt, though he has a little more to work with than Jason Isaacs, as thuggish local villain Waylon.
3/5*

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Not a review, but an interview with the director.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... l-and-macy

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 am

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 pm

huh, I read the review (and a few others), and I've seen some footage, and...ya know who I haven't seen? Jason, or should I say Waylon? Waylon isn't even mentioned in the review. Can't wait for Lady S's review, maybe her's will have uh some different info that will make my ears perk up, otherwise...this just wouldn't be my genre of movie. ln

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 pm

I don't think he's that much in it. I read an early draft of the script, and from that I'm guessing about 15 minutes screen time. I can be wrong of course. Looking forward to LadyS. report too :D

Another review:
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/review ... review.php

Gives it a B
John, the hunter, becomes the hunted, as the dead girl’s boyfriend (Jason Isaacs, playing way against type) begins to chip away at him from afar, using such horrifying psychological tricks as, wait for it, prank phone calls. But is it really Isaacs’ Waylon who is coming after John? Or has his own guilty heart begun to break down?

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 am

*titters softly*

I wrote a draft while coming back on the train late last night. I'd like to clean it up a bit before posting. I'll try to post it tonight. How much detail about the movie do you guys want (i.e., do you only want me to talk Jason or are you interested in the rest of the movie, too)? ;^) And...where should I put it? Here? In the regular Single Shot thread where Tribeca is mentioned?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 am

I'll say bring on everything you've got. :mrgreen: But maybe post it in a new thread with a spoiler warning for those who would like to be surprised?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Two new reviews:
http://www.mediamikes.com/2013/04/tribe ... ingle-shot
Jason Isaacs isn’t given as much screen time as you would like considering he’s supposed to be the big bad of the movie.
http://www.justpressplay.net/articles/1 ... -shot.html
His reliance on his disloyal lawyer Pitt (William H. Macy) gets him into trouble with the ruthless criminal Waylon (an unrecognizable Jason Isaacs—long greasy hair and thick scruff) and his trashy lackey Obadiah (Joe Anderson).
Jason Isaacs, too, is terrifying in a controlled manner, making him a worthy opponent for Rockwell’s John. Both actors give the film a strong enough backbone to make the film at least bearable (though not at all enjoyable).

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 am

bearable (though not at all enjoyable).
I was so afraid of that.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:50 pm

bearable (though not at all enjoyable).
Somehow I don't think this quote will make it to the movie posters.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

...well, perhaps some people's bearable, may also turn out to be enjoyable? It COULD happen... well, why not? LN

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Sorry, not the best location for this, but I'm hoping someone else who has the DVD can tell me--
what was the last thing that John Moon said??

DH and I just watched this this week, and had a lot of trouble understanding much of the dialogue. Jeffrey Wright's character especially--his drunkass slurring was a little too authentic. (and this is embarrassing, but we absolutely CANNOT find out how to turn on closed-captioning on the remote from our new tv provider :oops: )
However, I will proudly point out that I pegged the actual (filming) location within 15 minutes--West Virginia my butt.

Return to “A Single Shot”