Tell me if it's worth watching - but without spoilers...?

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

revenante

Tell me if it's worth watching - but without spoilers...?

Post by revenante » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 am

I have just picked the DVD (two discs, one box, I assume that's all there ever was) of this up from a charity shop - sorry Jason, no royalties for you but the poor little kittens get to eat instead.

I missed it entirely on TV and haven't read this part of the forum in too much detail, so can anyone tell me if it is worth watching for any other reason than the eye-candy (although that's probably enough)?

If it's possible to give a view without spoilers that would be great as I'm sure I will give it a go at some point in the future...

Many thanks in anticipation!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Tell me if it's worth watching - but without spoilers...

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Haven't watched it in years, but it is a good story (with a twist), well acted by all involved, and Jason's character is heroic and smart . . . and he has love scenes. Need I say more? well, yes, it's well worth watching now.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

It is most definately worth watching. You will enjoy it!! Even my husband liked it - so you know it had a good story line (since he humors my JI addiction!)

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Definitely worth the time. :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm

one of my fav Jason roles...MR Ambassador!

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:45 pm

I loved it; Jason is great, and I believe he was nominated for a Golden Globe for this role.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:45 am

Definitely worth it. Come to think of it, this was the role that made me sit up and notice Mr I properly for the first time. Mark Brydon ranks up there for me amongst his favourite characters. And he looks ... yeah ... you know the rest ...

But let's just say ... there was a certain amount of dramatic licence taken with the character (*heavy understatement*). A friend of mine is closely related to the real British ambassador (well, the one at the time of TSW) and when it was on had just come back from staying with him in Washington. She said it's the cushiest job going. I think Mark Brydon would disagree ... :scratch

revenante

Post by revenante » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 am

Thank you all! General consensus from the board and pms is - as you might expect from this (let's face it) somewhat biased group of people - overwhelmingly positive, so I shall have to find the time to sit down and concentrate...

Shame the weather's too good for staying in and watching TV - maybe I'll persuade my DH to join me until the next Game of Thrones box set turns up.
:yip

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Here I am-tardy to the party!

Yes, yes, yes, yes, so worth watching it! When I watched it when it originally aired in the US, I was in the midst of the break-up blues & was moping around (translated:lying on the couch a la Bridget Jones style). And watching Sir Mark definitely lifted my spirits. I might have even growled fairly loudly at my room-mate one night when he came into the living room & started speaking to me while it was on tv (he knew not to bother me for the rest of the episodes). Sir Mark might actually be the most perfect man in the universe.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Now we may be biased but I think most of us would truley tell you if something were not worth watching - or was (egad!) bad!

There are several movies where Jason makes such a small apperance it is not worth buying and might not even be worth watching. Some movies and TV mini-series were so bad they were down right painful (need I say Hotel........) which is not to say Jason's performances were bad but the overall projects were not good (in my opinion at least.)

The State Within was very good - not great but very good! Not in the same leage as Awake - which had fantastic performances. Definately worth watching though. Ask me about "The Last Don II" and I will give you a very very different answer. :tchuh:

revenante

Post by revenante » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:57 am

Thank you to Marie and LadySekhmet - better late than never! ;-)

My husband is full-time addicted to Game of Thrones right now so I will have to see if I can make him watch TSW with me when we've run out of those one evening - about eight episodes to go. If not, I'll do it on my own!

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 am

On topic- one of my male friends borrowed my TSW dvds last month (after I got him hooked on Brotherhood- he's an Annabel Gish fan) and he enjoyed it a lot. And he's not a rabid fan of Himself, so I think that might be a good non-fan indicator. Plus, JI got a Golden Globe nomination for this role. :cool:

The only thing that I didn't like was the way they ended the show as better closure was required, so I'm forever waiting for a season 2 that will never appear. :^(

I know this is wildly off topic: Love GoT (in book & tv formats), but if you watch GoT with him: Do not, I repeat, do NOT get attached to any of the characters. You'll be a happier camper if you don't. Trust me. :ninja (if you need more, pm me.)

ln419

Post by ln419 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:10 am

...for what it's worth, I LOVED the ending, and had an understanding of why it was done that way; but my DH (who surprisingly totally loved this project) hated the ending. So there ya go, you'll either love the ending, or hate it, you will NOT be ambivalent about it. aaa.gif ln

servalan

Post by servalan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I thought The State Within was an excellent and intelligent series. You need to concentrate, because clues to the mystery are dripped throughout. In fact, it pays to rewatch it quickly after the first run through, because then you notice things you missed the first time - or I did anyway. There are lots of characters, and some very good actors/actresses in it. Jason is not the only Brit.

Also, Jason wears a suit and looks very smart most of the time - and as we all know he scrubs up very well! :D

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 pm

I wanna get this on DVD through Wal-Mart or Target. Can't seem to get the order to go through.

~ML :scratch :bang

Return to “The State Within”