Case Histories Series 2 DVD

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

LadySekhmet

Re: Case Histories Series 2 DVD

Post by LadySekhmet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Oh, I've bought Region 2 dvds (I can play them on my mac), but I'd rather not if something comes out in the US. But...if there is no movement by April, if I see the dvds over in London while I'm there-they are coming back with me!

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Sorry if I have posted this before. But for all in the US who are into British shows, there are plenty of reasons to get a region free player.
1. The UK release dates are often sooner than the US one. Or some shows may not even be released in the US!
2. Cheaper too. I ordered my Case Histories and Sherlock DVDs from Amazon UK, and even after figuring in shipping charges, they are cheaper. Remember the price quoted on Amazon UK includes VAT, which will be deducted when they see your US address.
3. The UK version may have "extras" that are not in the US version.
4. Region free players are not expensive. Here in Los Angeles, I can get one for US$40. Buy an off brand player so you don't have to deal with unlocking the code. If there is a Chinatown in your area, you may want to look around there. They cater to customers who need a region free player to play DVDs from China. That same region free player will play your UK DVDs!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 am

The Sherlock episodes air in Norway the same week as on BBC. And the season 2 of Case Histories did too. :wheee I love the new policy!
I understand why some are waiting for the Region 1 DVDs, but there are solutions (Region free dvd player or VPN comes to mind). If you want to wait for the DVD and complain about it, go ahead. If you want to do something about it, you know what to do... (Sorry, was that harsh? :oops: )

I think the reasons the DVDs are delayed is like Kim said because of the music. The use of music from the American country artists is probably restricted to Europe. Not sure if they want to spend money getting the permissions for the US. If they don't, they edit the music out, or they don't release it at all... But let's hope they will.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Ever since DVDs and players came onto the scene, I knew I'd have to invest in a multi-regional one, as I would be waiting for ever for something to be released in Oz.

So both blu-ray recorder and player are fully multi-region, and I buy a lot from US and UK as I'm completely impatient and can't wait to get things here on TV (if they get a release that is).

Also, different regions can indeed have different extras on them. I remember the difference between the extras on US and UK DVDs of "Divorcing Jack". In today's global market, makes sense to me. :D

Hooroo,
Carole

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:13 pm

(Sorry, was that harsh? :oops: )

Yes. :bawl

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Helen8 wrote:(Sorry, was that harsh? :oops: )

Yes. :bawl
Not at all Helen. Just wish we didn't have so many differences around the world. Who ever decided to have different systems/regions etc hasn't stopped people from finding the things they want. In fact, it's made us more determined to do so. I'd be older and greyer if I waited for things to be released here in Oz.

Thankfully I don't have to. I'd rather have something when I want it, rather be dictated to by distributors/networks etc.

Maybe I'm just an impatient, grumpy old woman. But I don't care. ;-)

I'm just glad to be able to have both series of Case Histories available on DVD, whatever the format.

Hooroo,
Carole

BethMI

Post by BethMI » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 am

I had thought I bought a region free dvd player (drive) before, and it turned out not to be. I was upset at wasting the money on something that couldn't be returned. Why couldn't it be returned? Because it was a year after I bought the player that I finally had a Region 2 DVD to use. It was the complete Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series that aired on PBS here in the states for many years. It was the first time I ever found it on DVD. The seller hadn't stated that the DVD's weren't Region one. So, when I got them I wasn't able to play them. So I have DVD's that don't play unless I take the chance to switch my computer to Region 2 again (which I did for a little bit to watch them, but you can only change it so many times before the system locks it on a certain type you choose), and a player that is just the same as all the others that won't play the DVD's.

Plus, I think that they should be releasing them in the US. So, it isn't just complaining that something is only Region 2. I've gone without many movies (the last few of Jason's even) because I don't have a Region Free player. I don't grump about them, but Case Histories is something that really should have been available to us in the US especially since the first series of it was. {Sighs} If I could guarantee that the next extra player I buy is a true Region Free, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat and get all the UK DVD's that I've wished to have for a long time.

~Beth~ (Michigan, USA)

thunder wrote: If you want to wait for the DVD and complain about it, go ahead. If you want to do something about it, you know what to do... (Sorry, was that harsh? :oops: )

I think the reasons the DVDs are delayed is like Kim said because of the music. The use of music from the American country artists is probably restricted to Europe. Not sure if they want to spend money getting the permissions for the US. If they don't, they edit the music out, or they don't release it at all... But let's hope they will.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:53 am

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's the way I see it.
Carole understand. When you live in countries outside the US or the UK, being a Jason fan is hard of you want to watch so much of his work as possible. So we have to use the solutions out there. We can't really "afford" being fussy about the region, because that is a problem that is quite easily solved. I haven't got a region free player myself, but I use another solution. If I was to wait for every Jason movie to be released in Norway, so I could just pick it up at the store and play it with Norwegian subtitles, I probably wouldn't have gotten any of JI's movies other than Green Zone and Harry Potter the last couple of years. As long as there is a solution, I don't see it as a problem. When there's no solutions, then there is a problem.

If you want to wait until you can buy Case Histories in Region 1, that's fine with me. But as I see it, it's your choice to wait.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 am

BethMI wrote:.... So I have DVD's that don't play unless I take the chance to switch my computer to Region 2 again (which I did for a little bit to watch them, but you can only change it so many times before the system locks it on a certain type you choose), and a player that is just the same as all the others that won't play the DVD's.

Years ago, I downloaded VLC, free, on my laptop now I and can play anything. I was given a hacked dvd payer that could play any region, but when my brother installed my new tv, something went wrong. The dvds all play, regardless of what region, but they all play in black and white :-( . Now, I know this is just a matter of what cable goes where (so my brother says), but I can hook my laptop up to my tv easily and play anything. This is easy for me because I have only the one laptop, one tv, one room, to do all this in.

Word of warning; I recently downloaded VLC to my sister's laptop so my nephew could watch Doctor Who. It came complete with a new toolbar that I had to uninstall and now she gets annoying ads with Google, which I don't know how to fix.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's the way I see it.

You didn't offend me, thunder. I was joking with the weeping emoticon. Shudda followed it with the sunglasses emoticon. Sorry.

And . . . I think we've all proven it's hard being a Jason fan anywhere in the world.

Just wish we didn't have so many differences around the world. Who ever decided to have different systems/regions

Carole, it's called Capitalism. Remember VHS vs Beta? The Japanese lost out on that manufacturing gamble.

Hey! I'm a crotchety old lady. I reserve the right to grumble every now and then. :furthermore (We need a female grumpy emoticon. fruitbat!!)

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Helen8 wrote:I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's the way I see it.

You didn't offend me, thunder. I was joking with the weeping emoticon. Shudda followed it with the sunglasses emoticon. Sorry.
Awww, friends again! :hug

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:44 pm

We never stopped. :D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm

I think that the reason why we are extra grumpy about the US CH:2 is because we gave our money to Amazon and we don't have our dvds yet! So, although we can cancel our order, we don't because we live in hope that they will actually honor the orders.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm

I don't think Amazon charges you until they ship. But that does not mean I'm not grumpy about not getting yet!!! ;-)

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Check your emails, girls!

Holy Bacon Sarnies, Batman! I just got an email from Amazon US telling me that my copy of CH2 will arrive between July 21 and 25th.

*throws confetti* :woot

*cough* It's only been a year and 2 days since I placed the bloody order- literally- I placed my order on April 22, 2013. Only 3 months till I get my CH2! :woot

Return to “Case Histories”