Speculations (SPOILERS - obviously)

Jason plays Peter, an FBI agent who investigates the murder of an archaeologist in Jerusalem. While doing this, he uncovers a 2000 year old conspiracy. The event series was filmed on location in Jerusalem, before the production had to move to Croatia and New Mexico.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Speculations (SPOILERS - obviously)

Post by Helen8 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Anyone else out there who hasn't seen I, Claudius??? Get thee to Netflix/Hulu et al. and rent that fabulous series . . . FAST. Incredibly acted (long-time Masterpiece Theatre watchers will recognize dozens of actors/actresses who went on to other heights), well written, incredible costumes and sets, and I'll let Lady S pipe in on the historic accuracy (I think it's VERY accurate).

Were they in Emma's apartment when this happened

It was her apartment. I recognized the bookcase where he got her journal.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Derek Jacobi and John Hurt were fabulous in it.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:09 am

In my defense, I wasn't born when it came out - but I've heard about it before. I just ordered it from Amazon, will definitely see it. :D

So Yussef is somehow connected to the people killing Emma, then? Or why would he be in her apartment? Maybe he killed her, but he didn't kill Peter, so it doesn't look like he is of the most bloodthirsty ones.

I think he was surprised to find the stone in his pocket, and when he had taken it out, Yussef had already seen it, so I doubt that Yussef would have let him put it back into the pocket...

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Do watch I Claudius - but I warn you - some scenes will really stay with you forever!!!!!! Ugh! :gah:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm

:yip Yeah, thunder!!! I, CLAVDIVS, is 13 episodes. You may have to set aside a weekend to view it. Well worth the time and expense.

Don't be put off by Marie's comment. Rome was decadent. We know that.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:38 pm

I've been out a cold winter's night before... Can't imagine a 1970's BBC series freaking me out too much. I've seen both seasons of Rome... Looking forward to it, it has dispatched. If I'm lucky, I'll have it by the end of the week.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:12 pm

I guess "I've been out a cold winter's night before" is the Norwegian equivalent of "This ain't my first rodeo." ::rofl Good one!!

justme

Post by justme » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Here's what I think:

I think that maybe Emma was somehow connected to the bad guys. It would have to be quite a coincidence that she wanders by the bar / restaurant while Peter is there; I think that she was following him! And, I think that Yussef knew that Peter had the orange stone in his pocket - he's not surprised. And, are we sure that Peter's daughter is really dead? From her phone message, it sounds like she could be a college student. Emma was a college student . . .
And, yes there was a shooter on the grassy knoll in Dallas in 1963 . . . :?:

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:07 pm

I had a feeling she was seeking him, and making sure he followed her... But I don't know what "team" she's on. About the daughter, I don't think they said that she's confirmed dead, but that something tragic happened. Maybe she's just disappeared.
Helen8 wrote:I guess "I've been out a cold winter's night before" is the Norwegian equivalent of "This ain't my first rodeo." ::rofl Good one!!
That's also a way to put it :mrgreen:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:12 pm

I agree. She was definitely making eye contact with Peter each time she "disappears" from view just to ensure that he follows her. You're right, Justine.

justme

Post by justme » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:21 pm

And how many Joshua / Josh clones are there? Who did they clone to make them? Seems a bit like 'The Boys From Brazil' thing going on here to some degree.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm

justme wrote:And how many Joshua / Josh clones are there? Who did they clone to make them? Seems a bit like 'The Boys From Brazil' thing going on here to some degree.
I thought of that movie, too.

I lost a post into the ether somewhere here. Trust me, it was brilliant, insightful, and written in elegant prose.

In short: I agree that Emma wanted him to follow her. I also thought that she might have been a pawn, i.e , been killed by whichever bad guys she was connected to. Or was she connected to good guys? How many groups/teams are there? Are any of them the good guys? I would suggest that any group that used a child that way, clone or not, would be the bad guys.

Shall we forgo spoiler alerts here now that the first episode has been aired?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 pm

There's a spoiler warning in the topic heading. I think people not wanting to know what happens in the episodes should know to stay away from the topic until they have seen the latest episode? I will definitely...

Are they clones or twins? I don't remember if that was said. Looks like they are rather disposable, though... it didn't take them much to get rid of one...

The girl/young woman who looks after the first Josh has red hair. Looks like she is kind of new, and she is different than the others. This is a far stretch, but: Peter's daughter? :bag: That would be a bit soap opera...

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:04 pm

I love Rome (the series, although I do love Rome)! But I, Claudius does sometimes top Rome's scenes! (And forget Caligula - :shock: ) Rome has a bit of modern PC sensibility still happening.

I haven't watched I, Claudius a lot, but I've read the book. Peter Graves did some excellent research for his book. At some point it has melded in my knowledge for actual Claudius. I often look things up for Claudius, because I'm afraid that I'll be talking movie/book not real Emperor. But if anyone wants some good ancient gossip for Claudius, you should check Suetonius, who was a Roman author who wrote about Roman rulers. He also loved to gossip - so it gets quite juicy at times! I quite like Claudius, he was one of the better Augustan emperors.

As I said somewhere else, I wonder if there isn't a whole herd of cloned Joshuas.

Emma was a graduate student, a younger one, but still - unless she doesn't show up in the list of grad student excavators- which might be the case if she was just faking it. Of course, we could go one step further with that idea and say that Emma replaced a real-Emma (who might have been knocked off so that this Emma could take her place) - if we want to get really crazy. lol. Although it would explain why Grant didn't really remember her very well (aside from him just being a self-involved, egotistical ******).

Although I'm not sure why they would've targeted Peter specifically, since he saw her while he was chasing the other guy (it would have had to be all planned out by the guy and his allies), but perhaps we'll find out. I haven't read the wattpad stuff, so I don't know if they have built up the reasons why Peter was sent to Israel, who might have known he was coming, and if there would be some reason for cultists to target him. But it did seem like she wanted him to follow her. If she knew that she was involved in something in which she was over her head, she did know he was a policeman, as he was chasing someone in a very policeman-like-manner. So she also could have targeted him because she was afraid and wanted a protector or needed someone to protect something (like her stone).

Wouldn't it be great if Anne Heche's character is on this whole thing? Shades of Awake.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Who did they clone to make them?

Not who, but what, maybe, . . . the Shroud of Turin?

justme, sorry I called you Justine. Blind spot in the middle of my vision. :roll:

LadyS, I read both of Graves's I, Claudius and Claudius the God back in the 70s concurrent with the series. And, I made a family tree to deep up with the characters. It sure helped.

Return to “Dig”