The OA discussion. No spoilers, yet.

Netflix series, premiering Friday December 16th 2016. Jason plays Dr. Hunter (Hap), who researches near death experiences (NDE). I don't know how to explain this, watch it yourselves.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

fruitbat

The OA discussion. No spoilers, yet.

Post by fruitbat » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:47 am

Are we going to have a thread for each episode? I ended watching the first three in quick succession and I'm afraid I can't separate ep from ep. They flowed into each other in a very sneaky way.

I'll just say that it is very strange. At first I thought nothing more than WTF? Then I got into it, even before Jason appeared. I still don't know what's going on. I wish I could watch tonight. It's worth a free trial subscription to Nextflix.

Jason: very good, as expected, and very creepy.

I said no spoilers in this thread, so if you want to talk specifics, best to start another thread.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Re: The OA discussion. No spoilers, yet.

Post by Chari910 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:46 am

We can have a 'discussions with spoilers' thread. No need to separate the episodes, most of us will watch them all in 1-3 sittings, I think.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:19 am

I finally had time to start watching this morning, and it's gonna take me some time to finish. Have seen the first two episodes so far, but I can't sit and watch for hour after hour after hour no matter how good I think it is. And there are still a couple of days more at work before vacation and other Christmas preparations.

I'd say we can have one spoiler discussion about the whole thing where you kind of go in at your own risk. If someone wants to discuss things before they have finished, we can just start new topics for that. (Just mark the topic for spoilers and which episodes - and no spoiler in the topic?)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:16 pm

It's worth a free trial subscription to Nextflix.

fruitbat, I'm starting to consider it. :???:

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Just a general query about Netflix - do their programmes stay available on the site forever?

Also, how long does a free trial last?

The topic of The OA, as described on one of the other threads, sounds at least in part similar to a programme that aired recently on the BBC, called The Missing.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:54 pm

As far as my experience with Netflix goes, their original productions stays on Netflix forever.

My free trial lasted a month, but that was 2-3 years ago... Don't know if it's still the same.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks, Thunder.

Antoni Bandzior

Post by Antoni Bandzior » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:10 am

It is still one free month on Netflix. And as far as I know they don't delete their movies/shows at all.

I haven't finnished it yet (2 episodes left), but I already need a second season. nuke.gif

amy223

Post by amy223 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi Lost Girls! I'm back! (I'm just going to be the Prodigal Lost Girl who pops in from time to time like a weird jack-in-the-box.) I started watching this because Jason is in it but quickly realized: OMG! THIS is my kind of show! The same thing happened with DIG - watched because of Jason, quickly realized: OMG! This is my jam! Had someone explained its material to me before I started watching, I'd have watched it with or without him (sorry, Jason :bag: ). I'm at episode 4ish (4ish, because I fell asleep...not because it was boring, but because my life, y'all. My LIFE).

At any rate - Netflix. Things stay a really long time, but do eventually get taken out of the rotation if it's not directly created by Netflix (just from what I've noticed as a subscriber), so The OA should be available indefinitely. It actually kind of reminds me a little bit of Awake and a little bit of Stranger Things -- Awake because of that "what is true? what is real?" aspect and Stranger Things because of the alternate dimensions. Thank god there are no creepy things eating people (YET...no creepy things eating anybody yet. I'm not even halfway through). I've already convinced like 10 coworkers to give it a go over the winter break coming up (thank god for winter breaks, thank god for them) and about 3 friends. (You're welcome, The OA people. :hug )

My mom had an NDE when I was 4 and if I didn't think it would completely off track this thread, I'd tell you the whole story here. I dig this kind of stuff, I find it fascinating.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Welcome back, Amy!
Good to see you again. :D

If you want to share the story of you mum's NDE, you can. You can open a new topic for it, if you don't want be mixed up with our opnions about The OA.

Myself: Just done grading papers before Christmas! :under Tomorrow is last day at work, and I'm almost done shopping and decorating.

:mrgreen: So now, I can get on with the more important activities. ;-)

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 am

Watched first 2 episodes. Awesome they were. I love this type of storytelling.

Been trying to avoid spoilers, have to close my eyes when news on The OA appear suddenly on the screen.
Hasn't been easy... I cannot binge watch, due to my work and home affairs. And also I like to savour each episode
taking in all the information.

The moment they showed JI's back, wearing that coat (seemed like the one he had at Portugal's Comic Con)
my heart summersaulted! Then the face... Those eyes!!!! Christ, The whole Comic Con came back to my mind!

Changing now to Conventions...

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:54 am

I*ve only watched 3 episodes so far. But I like to stretch it out, enjoying it more this way. :D

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 pm

On the start of ep5. Finding it quite difficult not to binge watch!!!
Christmas preparations, homework and everything else going overboard just to see a bit more of
The OA.
Did it have to be so good to the point of making me forget my obligations?
But enjoying moltissimo watching JI in a long part.
Of course, the stew caught my attention. On the lookout for stew ingredients...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:41 am

DH and I had been watching "The Hollow Crown," a BBC production of Shakespeare's history plays. That worked better viewed in order, and--no offense, JI--but DH has been coaxed into watching some movies of JI's that were, let us say, not entirely to his taste, and he wasn't exactly champing at the bit to dive into this investment.
But I talked him into it!!
Man, it is the weirdest story.
It's beautifully done, though. Every detail is completely convincing, every performance compelling. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I'm all kinds of intrigued.
I've been chary of consulting any reviews etc. for fear of spoilers (we finished episode 6, I think), but are they seriously talking about a second series????
:shock: :shock: :mad: nuke.gif
I need definitive answers!!!!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:54 am

Tosca Nini, I thought the "stew" looked (and sounded, from OA's explanation of the ingredients) like borscht!
Helen, I'd been hostile to the idea of paying *additional* monies for even more danged television channels, especially given how few in our cable package we actually view, but I'm afraid it's almost unavoidable. Both Amazon and Netflix are producing their own movies and series, and they're simply not available elsewhere ("Stranger Things," for example).
Netflix has a rotating roster of movies, both recent and classic; there's a website somewhere that shows what's changing. We've been disappointed in the film lists (STILL no "Shallow Grave"!!!!!) but they're redeeming themselves with "Stranger Things" and "The OA"....

Return to “The OA”