My-JI-Works-Blog-ToscaNini

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: My-JI-Works-Blog-ToscaNini

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Make sure you've stacked up on Kleenex before A Monster Calls. That one's tough on the emotions... :bawl

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Tosca, I enjoyed Steptoe, too.

Good was a very good film, although I don't I could say I enjoyed it. I think it's particularly relevant today.

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 am

Returning to my infrequent, but still active, blog.

Watched Good 3 times, plus the interviews on the DVD. Got very taken by the story. Viggo was so good as the main character, and the relationship with Maurice (Jason) works so well. I never warmed much to Anna, but it was because Viggo's wife was played by Anastasia Hille, an actress I love very much... Gemma Jones made a great mother, with so many handicaps.

Viggo looked so handsome in the movie, purposefully, that I got a bit of a crush on him. But in the interviews Jason jumps again to the forefront by being articulate, gorgeous and addictive. He is such a great interviewee! The director couldn't suppress a big smile when saying that he IS Maurice, hihi...

Although it's a difficult subject to deal with, I appreciated every moment of Good, and would still be watching it, if I hadn't in a hasty moment taken the DVD out of the player and inserted that much derided movie called Hotel (!!!!). Surprise: it was a double DVD edition (collectors?!).

First thing I noticed: Mark Strong in the cast. Mark Strong? Wasn't he in Good, playing a Nazi? And yes it was the same Mark Strong!
I had half seen/heard a Russian version of it, with what they call a lector. It was a very odd experience...
So I had some memories of the movie.
First complaint: Almost no Jason Isaacs in it! He wanted to have his scenes all done in one day, because he had been cast in a Ridley Scott movie, which was actually true (Black Hawk Down)! He exits the scene followed by the c*** word.
But I only got to this part in the second attempt at viewing the movie, because I fell asleep after the first 10 minutes during my first attempt.
It took me about 6 attemps to finish it, because I always fell asleep at some point. Then rewinded and fell asleep again, waking in a different scene.
Blimey! Never happened to me before!

So all in all, I would say that it is a terrible, but interesting at times, movie. I think I understood it. It kind of works. The plot is ludicrous but it is on purpose. It's a parody to making a Dogma movie. The sex is gratuitous on purpose, and ghastly, (yuck!). There is no script, but there is direction. I kind of loved some of the ?performances?
There are great ideas on this movie, but perhaps in the wrong place? I don't know... It tickled some of my European artsy-fartsy genes no doubt. It was good to see Julian Sands again, I dare say. Salma Hayek was at the same time awful and great. Loved John Malkovich's appearence in the beginning. So softly spoken... Eating human flesh in a cell? and Max Beesley is damn gorgeous!
Veredict: Poor Rhys Ifans...

I've been watching loads of Jason Interviews and never tire of him. And a short called The Letter... Does anyone remember this? Poor Jase remains asleep during the whole thing except in the end to read the goodbay letter from his wife (Thandie Newton), who escaped with loads of jewels. Is it a jewels commercial?

Left for the end the most important thing: A Monster Calls. Haven't finished it yet, but it's so beautiful and heartbreaking :bawl :bawl :bawl

Next on my plans are more Jason interviews (I have so many...), Brotherhood, Ashenden and Brightonomicon. If I can take my eyes from ST's Captain Lorca...

BrodieCaffee

Post by BrodieCaffee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 pm

I have a couple of podcasts of Jason on my laptop if you want them

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:49 am

Slightly off-topic: Tosca, if you like Mark Strong, watch Stardust (a film of the Neil Gaiman fantasy novel). He's the very convincing villain Septimus, obviously loving being bad, rather like Jason as "evil Lucius". Mark also has long dark hair in that, which suits him very well. :adore

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 am

:bawl :bawl :bawl I have finished a Monster Calls :bawl :bawl :bawl

Still haven't recovered from the emotional intensity of this book...

It's a masterpiece, isn't it? Jason's reading surpassed my expectations.

Listened slowly during the first 15 chapters, taking my time, but yesterday I heard the rest before dinner. And then I couldn't have dinner due to the emotional impact. Slept terribly and was awoken by a phone call from one of my colleagues informing that her mother had died that morning. What a coincidence!
Felt even worse. Don't remember having been affected by a book this much for a long time.

********Spoiler alert******

It was the 12:07 explanation that made me collapse completely...

*******End of Spoiler alert******

Thanks BrodieCaffee and servalan for your offers and suggestions. For the moment I have more than 100 videos with Jason's interviews to watch.

But I read in the A Monster Calls topic that Jason interviewed Patrick Ness. My audiobook from Audible doesn't have this interview... Hmmm...

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:16 am

I know the feeling. It's very powerful... :hug

The interview was on my audio book, I think. At least I have heard it... :scratch

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 am

Been a bit away from this blog, but not from JI.
Truth is, I'm watching Brotherhood and it's so good, I'll only resurface after finishing series 1. Totally immersed... :hands :hands :hands
Back to it now!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 am

It was very good!

Return to “General Forum”