Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Jason plays Captain Lorca in this new Star Trek series, premiering on September 24. 2017.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

servalan

Re: Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Post by servalan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:50 am

That final scene with Lorca in the torture cubicle - what a cliff hanger! :shock:

Yes, Ash is certainly part Klingon in some sort of weird way. The doc's neck broke, didn't it? Unless it was all a dream sequence, he seemed pretty dead to me.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am

he seemed pretty dead to me.

Yeah, Servalan. That's why, grasping at straws, I made the vampire reference, hoping I was wrong. :bawl
I, too, did not like seeing Lorca convulse in agony.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Oh. And. The mirror universe uniforms look really good. Uncomfortable. But stunning!

The Star Trek Store has some sweats and tees. Alas. Not the gold-plated armor.

https://shop.startrek.com/dept/new-arri ... overyMerch

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:02 pm

I had a bit of a smile to myself when Jason gave himself a "Glasgow kiss" against the wall before meeting the mirror universe crew.

That reminds me, I liked the short burst of Scots accent.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am

So Jason/Lorca was playing a chief engineer over the com - that whole thing with the Scottish accent was a throw out to Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott (Jimmy Doohan) from TOS. Well done.

Ash is really Voq - Ash's mind is somehow imprinted in the Klingon modified body. However the showrunners say there is a surprise yet to come. Perhaps more of Ash remains than L'Rell planned for.

On After Trek it was mentioned that we will see more of the Doctor. Whether that means a mycelium spore infused Stamet can resurrect him - or we meet the mirror Dr. who knows?

Who is the Emperor? My money is on the Admiral!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm

SInce I am new to Star Trek, I've never seen a "mirror" episode before, but I liked the consept. And so far, I think this was the best episode, much darker than the others.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 am

I agree, thunder. There was a lot in this episode to take in. I won't say it was worth the wait—I wanna see Jason on my TV every week, not with gaps of weeks between them. But, it sure is leading up to a helluva season finale.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 pm

On AfterTrek, the producers said there will be no Dr. Culber in the M universe since they wanted to keep him as a good guy all the way. And he's not dead-dead somehow.
Jason just started shooting The OA Season 2 this week in LA. He shot Season 1 for 4 or 5 months in NYC. He won't be free for DSC for a while. Of course we don't know for sure if they are gonna kill Lorca off or not. He has become a popular character, they'd better not :evil:

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 am

At least he is in LA and not freezing his butt off in NYC. I agree - they better not kill off Lorca. When I saw Ash floating in space I was - wow they are actually going to kill him. But no - saved by the transport beam.

Good episode!!!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 pm

The real human Ash could still be alive. I felt MB's heartbreak... :heart

Lorca seems to be consoling her sweety and touching her hands :shock:

He's turning into a sentimental guy.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:08 pm

My only complaint about this episode, is that it should have had more Lorca. But if that would have meant more agnoy booth, I'm glad we didn't get to see it. I'm very conflicted here... :mrgreen:

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Jason said it has the right amount of Lorca because Emma and his girls were in Toronto while they were filming this episode. :D
I remember he tweeted that they went off grid for ? 2 weeks.
He promised much more Lorca to come.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks, Char. I'm glad there's a lot more Lorca. :D

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 am

Not enough Lorca, but I like the leather jacket. He looked very well considering he was supposed to have been tortured continuously! :cool:

So the theorists about Ash were all correct. Well done fandom.

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am

One of the show runners suggested we look at Ash’ flashbacks in the episodes frame by frame. I didn’t jump into that because they looked very graphic. But I suspect a look at that might have confirmed the theory earlier. Even though I figured Ash was Voq pretty early - it didn’t take away any of the joy of seeing how the other characters would find out!

At the Toronto Convention I told Jason that I thought that Michelle Yoh’s character would die in the second episode and Jason got really annoyed and asked why I thought that. I said there had to be a reason why Burnham got to the Discovery and the loss or the Shenzou would be a good reason. Plus I told him I had not seen any promotional appearances by Yoh so I figured she was not filming. He jumped on the last part and said she hates promoting. Then said why do we have to try to guess everything we should just watch it and enjoy it. But I think analyzing is part of a fans DNA. If you are presented a mystery - you have to try and figure it our!! LOL. I can see his point as an actor - but as a fan I can’t change.

Return to “Star Trek: Discovery”