Hollywood ArcLight Cinema Friday, March 9

Satirical comedy about the chaotic events and fight for power surrounding Stalin's death. Jason plays general Georgy Zhukov.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

blisster

Re: Hollywood ArcLight Cinema Friday, March 9

Post by blisster » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:19 am

Just popping in to say this movie is hilarious.

Sadly Jason was not at the Q&A as advertised, but Andrea Riseborough was. She praised Armando Iannucci and Steve Buscemi.

Just adding this cute bit ... I wanted to take a picture of the DoS poster, but before I could, the last 2 couples watching the movie exited and stood in front of the poster. The woman in the group pointed at Jason, and said "where have I seen him before?" The usher answered her with "Harry Potter. He's Draco Malfoy's dad."
W: "No." :shock:
U: "Event Horizon. Peter Pan, he was Captain Hook."
W: "Yes. Captain Hook."
The usher then left them talking amongst themselves and went into the theater. I wanted to rush after him and congratulate him on knowing Jason's CV [but didn't :oops:].

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:05 am

Too bad about Jason not being on the Q and A, but glad you liked the movie :D

Very good usher :hands

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:03 am

So. This is how Friday went. We already had tickets for A Wrinkle in Time at 11:30 am in Riverside. Drove to L.A. immediately afterwards, knowing that Friday rush hour starts at, oh, 1:00 pm. Highway 101 is a parking lot at any time of day or night. Didn't have access to email, so I never got the message about the no-show. Got to Arclight at 3:00. Sat in the restaurant in the lobby looking for Marianne. By 6:00, she hadn't arrived, so we went up to be seated. I watched the entrance for her but, I guess, I missed her. No Jason. No Marianne. Anne Heche was sitting next to us at the restaurant, but I as too shy to approach her.

We were the first ones into the theater. They told us after we found our seats that Jason wouldn't be there. I was really bummed. DH was perturbed . . . at me. Justifiably. He said, "We're NOT doing this again on Sunday." As I was already booked for Saturday that was not even on the table for returning.

Well. I enjoyed the movie. It is funny. But it is also brutal and violent. Those were tough times to be in Russia. Jason did not disappoint on screen.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:49 am

But Helen you could have said Hi Anne - I met you at the DIG filming in Albuquerque. I was one of the ones that scearmed “We re not Jason’s Fan Club!”

blisster

Post by blisster » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:34 pm

OMG, I got to speak to Jason & Rupert!!!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Details....Marianne :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi Anne - I met you at the DIG filming in Albuquerque . . .

Um. See previous post about shyness, Marie. :oops:

Lucky you, Marianne! :hands When did you arrive on Friday? What was your seat number? We were in K22,K23.

blisster

Post by blisster » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Just got home, I’ll post the pix and videos I was able to get.

Jason and Rupert looked great, but tired.

TBC

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:11 am

I am so out of practice doing this 😐

Helen, my seat at the Arclight was A18 and A1 at the Landmark.

So today’s Q&A was pretty much what has been written about since the movie came out last year. They all admired AI, wanted to be in the movie, had fun, and the movie was made before the event(s) of 2016 😡

Jason mentioned that he was at the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme and David Cameron spoke to him (to avoid speaking to the press about Brexit?) about what his next film would be... The Death of Stalin. I don’t remember the response other than there was much laughter by the audience.

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 am

Much of the movie parallels what is going on now. Jason mentioned watching on tv the Cabinet one by one had to praise 💩
[my description], and AI adding how they all are “unanimous” [complicit] in their actions.

After the Q&A, he happily posed with the people who came up to him, signed pictures, and spoke to them.
He was quite lovely to a young man asking for advice about getting into the film industry. Use his iPhone??? as a tool to learn from.
A lady who wanted a picture with him, he told how to pose.

And as for me... I was embarrassingly earnest. I somehow managed to get him to apologize to me for not being at Friday night’s Q&A. I did say that it meant I could relax and enjoy the movie and eat a tub of 🍿. I mentioned going to see him in NYC for The Dumb Waiter. He seemed pleased. Lastly, I asked for a picture of him. Just him. He wouldn’t have that. He insisted I get into the picture and teased me about hiding my face [omg, I just realized I was burrowing into his chest 😮].

I’ll post some pix as soon as I remember what the codes are.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 am

It is hard not to burrow one's face into his chest!!! I didn't know he did Dumb Waiter is NYC too (or did you mean London?) It's hard to keep your thoughts straight when looking into those blue eyes. He takes a great selfie with people - has way longer arms than me!!!

Can't wait to see the pictures! So glad you got to see him and talk to him! :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am

Marianne, the encounter sounds great. Did he remember you? Looking forward to seeing your pic with him.

If he had shown up on Saturday, my question to him would have been a walk down Memory Lane. "Fifteen years ago June, you were at this ArcLight Cinema for the Passionada premiere." I hope that would've have jogged his memory.

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:43 am

Now, I'm not sure if it was The Dumb Waiter :???:, but Jason said "Pinter."

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am

blisster

Post by blisster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am

Return to “The Death of Stalin”