New Mexico Comic Expo Aug. 16-18

Comic-Con et al.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

New Mexico Comic Expo Aug. 16-18

Post by Helen8 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Just back late last night (we drove the 12 hours straight from Albuquerque--me 4 hs; DH 8 hr).

Jason was to be there on Sat./Sun. We got there Fri. at 3 and went to the Vendors Hall to check out any Star Trek stuff . . . not much to speak of. We found where Jason's autograph area was. A volunteer showed us where the photo op area was. So, just to be sure, we walked there so we'd know exactly where to go on Friday. DH said, "There's Jason walking towards us!!" I said that that was not possible; he's appearing Sat./Sun. And sure enough . . . Jason and Stephy and some fans() were walking toward us on their way to the autograph area.

Jason saw DH first (he's taller than me) and came over to us. I said, "You're not supposed to be here until tomorrow!!" He answered that Spinning Gold was going to start filming on Sunday, but he had already committed to Albuq. and could they let it go till Monday? They said "No." So now Jason tried to move Albuq. appearances to Friday and Saturday. Then, the producers relented and said that Monday was okay after all. That worked out great for me since I was only going to see him on Saturday because of the long, hard slog of driving back home on Sunday. So. Yay! Two days!

At Saturday's Panel, there were two sections of seating: 6 rows of VIP seats--separated by a wide aisle--and 25 rows of the rest of the auditorium. There were only two rows of VIPs seats taken. When Jason came out, he asked why there was such a big gap and why weren't more people sitting up front? When someone pointed out that they were VIP seats, he said that, so he could see everyone, for people to move up. So. We did. Now I was in the fourth-row middle.

It was just him on the stage. He doesn't really need a moderator to ask him questions; he just let's the fans ask. He is hysterically funny. And though I've heard most of his stories multiple times, he embellishes them each time, so they sound fresh and even funnier than I remember. Someone asked what he thought of Anson Mount. He said, "I hate him. He's too nice He's too handsome."

Another asked who his favorite character in HP was. Answering as Lucius, he said, "None of them! I really hated Dobby! Those big eyes. I hated that pillowcase he wore." Another question was, which was his favorite movie. Peter Pan.It was the first real telling of Barrie's book. It wasn't about a little boy. It was about Wendy, a young girl approaching womanhood, with all the mixed feelings that that entails. And she imagines this strong male character (Hook), who just happens to resemble her father (Mr. Darling). It was disappointing that it didn't do better

He also talked about doing stunts that he probably shouldn't have but did: Dig--in a cylindrical tower, jumping to a ladder attached to a wall and banging his knee into the metal ladder. Brotherhood--he practiced a fight scene with several bad guys and decided, for authenticity, he didn't need the stunt double. During filming, something went wrong, and his right shoulder was injured so that he could only finish the scene fighting with his left hand. When the scene was over, he asked if everything came off well on film. "If so, please call an ambulance."

I will pick up where I left off . . . must go to physical therapy. Sorry.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: New Mexico Comic Expo Aug. 16-18

Post by thunder » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Thanks for sharing, Helen :D :hug

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:24 pm

. . . And I'm back.

My photo op was at 3:30, so after his panel, we sat in the food court, which was right next to the curtained-off photo area. When it was time to line up, there were a few people in front of us, as well as the VIP ticket holders. When it was 3:30, we filed in, I gave Rob my cane, and limped toward Jason. He asked if I was okay, and I said I was. He raised his hands and held them on either side of my face as if voguing. When the picture was taken, he said, "I hope I didn't block my face." I turned to him and said, "You better not have!" The photog. gave him the thumbs up, so no redo.

After getting the pic, which was already flipping out of the machine when I got there seconds later—let's hear it for technology!—we walked over to the signing area.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks, Helen! I like reading it in chapters. Great photo :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:53 am

I wish I could remember more, but . . . well . . . old age and all that prevent me from remembering everything. :oops:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 pm

The picture is great! 😀

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:58 am

That's his inventiveness. I should take a course in improvisation. Maybe then I'd do more than just laugh at what he's doing.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 am

Helen, that was one of your best photos. You look very happy.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks, Char! I'm in hysterics from his voguing.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:15 pm

There’s no way to act the joy on your face, Helen, Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Conventions”