Letter to my younger self (The Big Issue)

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Letter to my younger self (The Big Issue)

Post by thunder » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:08 am

Jason being very open about his drug addiction in his younger days:
https://www.bigissue.com/latest/jason-i ... 8s.twitter

It looks like there's more in The Big Issue magazine, but you need to be in the UK to buy it from a vendor.

Anniemouse

Re: Letter to my younger self (The Big Issue)

Post by Anniemouse » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:17 am

I am trying to think how I can get a copy. It sounds a fascianting interview. I have bought issues before but I am still isolating so will need to work out how to get an issue.

Update ordered it from the website. Had to take a three month subscription but that is ok, it is for a great cause.

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:42 am

thunder wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:08 am
Jason being very open about his drug addiction in his younger days:
https://www.bigissue.com/latest/jason-i ... 8s.twitter

It looks like there's more in The Big Issue magazine, but you need to be in the UK to buy it from a vendor.
You beat me to it.... ☹️

I found it interesting that he gave Digital Spy one age about his addictions, but the USA Today article had something different.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 5579254002

Either way, Jason (when you read this), I have a feeling that you’ll find more than just LG’s happy for and proud of you for making it out of those dark times, and into the...well, whatever you want to call this situation we’re in now. 😷

(Really, Jason...🐒🐒???)

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:18 am

By the way if you look at the site the magazine is available to buy. I would have tried to track a vendor down and bought multiple copies for forum members but they usually are in towns about an hour away so that unfortunately is a non starter at the moment for me. Best bet is buy it from the web site.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:55 am

I’ve read the whole thing now, and it’s probably one of the most personal interviews that he has done.

I bought this weeks digital version of the magazine through The Big Issue UK app. It worked fine even if I’m in Norway. :D

Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:25 pm

thunder wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:55 am
I’ve read the whole thing now, and it’s probably one of the most personal interviews that he has done.

I bought this weeks digital version of the magazine through The Big Issue UK app. It worked fine even if I’m in Norway. :D
That might be a good alternative for those of us in the US, too!

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm

I cant get the app to install, so will wait for the magazine to arrive. I am slightly worried in case it is a distressing interview.

As a result of not being able to read the full interview I cannot really make a comment on the contents. It sounds intense.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:54 am

Having a bit of a panic I just checked the order and it looks like it does not include the issue with Jason in it. I have asked a friend to go looking for a copy and if that fails I will have to contact the company. I am really nervous as I might not get a copy even though I have paid for a subscription. Just my luck. :bag:

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Jason has alluded to his addictions before, and has often said that Emma was responsible for him becoming clean.

The fact that he doesn't drink alcohol these days is a big hint about past problems too.

Good for Emma, and for Jason for being sensible enough to choose a wife who cared enough to see him through it. They obviously make a great couple.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:32 pm

I totally understand that he gets addicted easily. He needs some surgery on knee or ankle (knee I think) but he won’t get it because he is so addicted to playing tennis - even though that knee probably hurts a lot. I had to stop playing poker on line. I was getting so addicted to it. And every time I lost I’d think next time will be the time I win. Just had to walk away from it. I’m glad I never lived in Las Vegas (my husband talked about trying to get an assignment to a nearby base). Had we moved there I probably would be divorced and not have a penny to my name.

If I do gamble now - I take the spending money in cash (when it’s gone gambling is done) leave the credit cards at the room, and I never drink while gambling.

But for alcohol and drugs it might be too easy to slip back into a bad habit. Very glad Jason kicked the habit and glad Emma keeps his feet on the ground!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:05 am

It was his foot. I think he has had this problem since when he was filming Brotherhood.

This is the issue with the article

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Thank you Chari910 for posting. It is very much appriciated.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:18 am

Finally my copy of the Big Issue arrived and I got to read the full interiew. Fascinating stuff and you feel there was real darkness and despair in his life at one point. On a wider point you wonder how many men cover up their insecurities in various unhealthy ways so hope tha the interivew helps them open up and get help. Emma seems to have been such a pivital person in his life and glad they are there for each other.

I had never seen the image of Jason (early 20's?) in the jumper before must have been an early publicity shot perhaps. Also haveing seen the family photo I think he look like his Dad.

Acting seems to have helped him in some way as well. Although he seems to have enjoyed the ability to disapear. It is always facinating to read his interviews.

By the way I have the interview and could upload all three pages. Is that allowed under the forum rules.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:13 am

Anniemouse, a belated welcome--I'm an 'oldie' who hasn't been consistent in visiting in a long while, and I've really enjoyed reading your thoughtful posts.
Glad to read you did get your physical copy of The Big Issue (as you observed, it's a great cause, and there's just something about having the physical, tangible thing in your hands). Please don't upload all of it, though--it's copyrighted material, and we do want Issue to get all the benefit that they can from it.

By this point in his enthusiastic career, I suspect JI has a multitude of physical challenges to choose from (and ignore surgical recommendations for :roll:), but my recollection is that he had long-term damage to his Achilles tendon. Remember when we were in Providence and he showed us the orthotic in his sneaker??
I knew he was a teetotaller, but I guess I didn't know that other stuff had been a challenge. I feel bad for him, experiencing such emotional distress, but I also feel a pang of guilt as a parent. We love our children and we do our best by them, but we can't know everything they're feeling, and I'm sorry he went through this unseen.
Marie, what you describe sounds like iron discipline to me. Goodonyer recognizing and responding to the gambling reaction--that endorphin rush is a powerful thing (thank you cave-dwelling ancestors).

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks for the offer, Annie, but you don't have to. It's available in The Big Issue app, with the same pics. 3£ isn't much and everyone should be able to afford that with some priorities, we can buy the old issues there as well. It's for a good cause, we should support it. :D

Return to “General Forum”