This is a first -- I froze my TV.

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Gillian
Site Admin

This is a first -- I froze my TV.

Post by Gillian » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Literally.

My apartment gets terribly hot, and because there's no way to control the temperature here (the whole building is serviced by an ancient boiler), I often have to leave the balcony door ajar.

This works fine on most days, but today the prevailing winds decided to blow in from the east instead of the north, which effectively turned my apartment into an ice box. (The tv sits in close proximity to the door - about four feet. Not good when storms blow in.) Not only would the remotes not work (I have five at the moment, and anytime there's a problem I have to go through this routine of switching them off and on, pressing various button combinations, changing from the one that controls the tv, to the vcr and then to the universal remote, swearing, pulling out batteries, flipping them around, rummaging through the junk drawer to find new ones, installing them, more swearing, turning on the remotes, furiously punching in new button combinations ... ad frickin' nauseum), until I eventually tried the ones on the tv itself, only to find they were stuck.

After an hour of the oven on high, and the door ajar, the ambient temperature rose enough so that things could thaw.

Totally freaked me out. Thought I'd pooched the thing.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:04 pm

I have to go through this routine of switching them off and on, pressing various button combinations, changing from the one that controls the tv, to the vcr and then to the universal remote, swearing, pulling out batteries, flipping them around, rummaging through the junk drawer to find new ones, installing them, more swearing, turning on the remotes, furiously punching in new button combinations ... ad frickin' nauseum), until I eventually tried the ones on the tv itself, only to find they were stuck.

Whew!! Are you a mascochist? I wouldn't go through that rigmarol for a chocolate hot-fudge sundae with whipped cream and 3 cherries on top! Woman, get thee to the Canadian version of Best Buy and purchase a universal remote!

Helen

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:22 pm

I think Gillian mentioned the Universal remote as one of the 5 :shock:

I hope everything works now?? Could you 'crack' a window instead? It won't be blown open.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:56 pm

Wow--I didn't know this was possible!

On the other hand, it wouldn't be possible for me to live in your building--our thermostat is set for 61 degrees at night. nuke.gif <--Hilary immolating under the heat of menopause

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah, it's a universal remote, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles so the others are a somewhat necessary backup. To be fair though, one is for the stereo; the other for the DVD player (new) which hasn't, and probably won't be used via RU, simply because of it's appalling lack of features.

BTW, my brother has six remotes. If you think I'm frustrated, it's nothing compared to what he endures.

Char - the balcony actually has glass sliding doors. It was only cracked a few inches, but that, the window I had left open in the bedroom, and the prevailing winds -- we got a storm brewin' here, Shirley -- were enough to do the job.

TV's working fine now, though.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:35 am

I too was one of the many remotes army. But when I purchased my new TV it was a Panasonic and the home theatre system with the built in DVD player is also Panasonic. We also have the cable box remote - but the cable guy (yea!!!!) was able to program almost all the functions into this remote. We can now turn everything on with the cable remote and change the channels. However for some odd reason the volume still must be controlled with the Home Theatre remote. But I went down from 5 remotes to 2 and I am just happy as a pea in a pod!!

One of the guys at work just handed me a Valentine's Day pressy. His wife makes handmade soaps. The pressy is two adorable ducks - one white and one pink with hearts on them sitting on a blue bar - the whole thing is made of soap. It is just the cutest thing. Problem is they are so cute and so well done - you never want to wash your hands with them!!!! Oh and they smell like gardenia - my favorite flower!!!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:48 pm

Gillian, if that happened to me, I would have been in a panic...let's see, how many remotes do I have: 3. LOL That's not too bad..
Marie, that soap present sounds adorable!

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:11 am

Hilary the Touched wrote:Wow--I didn't know this was possible!

On the other hand, it wouldn't be possible for me to live in your building--our thermostat is set for 61 degrees at night. nuke.gif <--Hilary immolating under the heat of menopause
You too huh? Hormones are a bloody pain :evil: