Ontario: Lift clothesline ban! (slow news day)

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, fruitbat, Helen8, kjshd05, Marie

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Ontario: Lift clothesline ban! (slow news day)

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 pm

At first glance, this seems utterly unnecessary, but a lot of homeowners' associations etc. decided that clotheslines looked too redneck or something and decided to make them illegal.
I've got one; it's a rotating umbrella-type in the backyard, and when I use it, I try, for example, to hang the skivs in the middle and have less socially awkward garments on the visible rows.
Clotheslines ain't my favourite house accessory, but I can certainly think of worse . . .
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/0 ... e-ban.html

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 pm

I think I heard about that somewhere...I think that's so lame, because that is actually good for the environment. I would think people would encourage more people to use them, not ban them...!!!

-Foodie :roll:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 pm

My homeowners association is one of the stupid ones. No clotheslines. So on wash day you should see my guest bathroom!!!! No hiding the skivvies they are all hanging up on the shower rod.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Get this. My condo HOA bans any plants or flowers outside your front door. So much for nature and Ladybird Johnson

They also banned doormats. However, there are a lot of Asian students here (attending the nearby university), who need a place to put their shoes, which must be removed before entering. The nimnals in the HOA made an exception, but the mats must not be metal and must be either black, brown, or olive green. :roll: Honestly, you can't make this stuff up.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:46 pm

It's a stupid law made by stupid people.
Honestly, what's there to discuss?
Just lift the ban already.

:roll:

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 am

OK Helen - I thought my HOA was anal - but you got me beat hands down.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:37 pm

OK Helen - I thought my HOA was anal - but you got me beat hands down.

What's most annoying is that the way the condos are configured, the front doors (second floor) are separated from the next condo by a bedroom wall, and the balconies face the same direction. On various balconies are flowers, bicycles, lawn chairs/tables, surf boards, and the occasional wet suit or towel hanging over the railing. But all of that is acceptable because . . . wait for it . . . it is their balconies, not their entrances! :roll:

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 am

Well obviously the balcony was meant to be the clothesline!!!! ;-)

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm in Ontario, too. I couldn't believe when I heard this.
Preventing people from respecting the environment ought to be illegal, in my opinion. :soap

My condo has rules about not having clothes-drying racks on balconies.
I have a drying rack that I use inside for many items and it takes up about one third of living space in my unit. (It's small; I prefer the term "bijou" as it sounds better than "closet". ;-) )

cheers
fruitbat :D