Going Green

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Going Green

Post by Marie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:09 pm

OK it's quite today so I'll go off-topic. I just got a 2009 Prius and that car is fabulous. I love it. Now you might think I'm just being green - but I really love the way it drives. I've owned Acuras for the past 18 years and I thought I'd miss the luxury feel of the higher end car. But nope - this Prius Rocks. I have not had to gas it up yet - and I suspect I'll be even happier when I check that cost as compared to the Premium big tankfull I had to get with my Acura TL.

:woot

pat

Post by pat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Marie,
Welcome to the club! Buying a Prius was the smartest thing I ever did. The mileage is great, but the car drives like a dream--it's like floating-- and is HUGE inside!

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Damnn the girls with the fab cars! Work it! Quite fierce girls!
The day I get one...it's gonna say FIERCE on the back window!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Congrats, Marie. Chuck got the hybrid Camry and he loves it. Our son Kris wants a Prius too. How long did you have to be on the waiting list?

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 pm

The day I get one...it's gonna say FIERCE on the back window!
HAHAHAHHAHAHA! LMAO! FIERCE!

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Congrats, Marie! :mrgreen:

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:51 am

Marie, glad you love your Prius! They are surprisingly roomy and comfy, aren't they? They aren't really as green as they're cracked up to be unfortunately; the batteries on all of those hybrid cars are just as toxic to the environment when it comes time to throw them out, as gas emissions, unfortunately. Every one that's been 86'd, is currently sitting in a big warehouse because the technology to dispose of them properly and safely either just isn't there, yet, or it is to costly to implement, or something like that.

Still, I feel that with money going into the right channels it's a problem that should be fixed in the near future, and anyway, the whole issue of global warming sort of takes precedence. Also, owning a hybrid goes a long way toward reducing our dependency on fossil fuels, which is better for everyone! :wheee

Now, to stray even more off topic, Marrie; is that a ferret on your avatar??

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:37 am

is that a ferret on your avatar??

[Eek! The wrath of Marie!]
No, Cissa, it's a cat.

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:15 pm

is that a ferret on your avatar??

[Eek! The wrath of Marie!]
No, Cissa, it's a cat.
Bwahahahaha - ferret - no ferrets are just kitteh toys!!!! I have five cats so I had to put one that looks like my ragdoll in the avatar! Although I will confess my cat Morpheus is guite a bit chunkier!!!

Char - I had to wait about 6 weeks after putting my deposit down which was not bad at all. Only downside right now is that some dealerships are getting from $1-$2K over invoice. I got mine at invoice (leased) but they made me get stupid $250 floor matts which really pissed me off! But I got it with package 5 which includes all the cool electronics like navigation, bluetooth and home link (I'm sure Kris will want that too!)

This car really feels great - and it's funny to come behind someone because they don't hear the car at all (you kind of have to be careful!) It does feel like it floats. I drive different with it too - because I have a monitor that tracks what kind of gas mileage I'm getting - I seem to slow down and coast more to increase the gas mileage. In the TL - I used to just drive fast fast fast!!!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:50 pm

I know how that monitor influences the driving. Chuck drives me nuts when he won't step on the gas pedal because it was cruising fine on the battery. He uses a different entrance to our community because it doesn't have the little slope the car has to climb on (only about 20 degree slope, mind you, LOL)

He does get wonderful mileage, sometimes at 50 mpg. When he drove it down to Orlando. He only stopped to fill up ONCE somewhere in GA.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:22 pm

LOL! Sorry Marie...well, it looks about the right size, that's all...(still LOL)... it's just that I have 4 ferrets! "kitteh toys" :lol Obviously, you don't know ferrets!!! ::rofl Holy Moly...

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Cissa - I actually think ferrets are adorable. If I didn't have the kitties I think I'd have ferrets. But my cats get sooo excited when they see squirrils that I fear if I had a ferret all creatures would get messed up - not to mention my house when they all run around chasing each other. (Bad enough as it is!)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 am

Cissa, I agree that the Prius isn't magic, and we do have problems with things like electric cars as well, but I think it'll be a hell of a lot easier to deal with the emissions from electric power plants than to retroactively address the emissions from every internal combustion engine.
As whoever says, we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--and measures need to be taken NOW.

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 am

Oh, I totally agree! I am hoping that the battery issues will be addressed fairly soon. The technology is likely already out there, it's just that there's so much red tape. Also, like I said, it's still better than relying on oil - foriegn or otherwise!

It's just that information is power, the more people know about the battery issue, the more pressure is put on the companies to find a solution that much faster. It's still better to drive a hybrid than not, in my opinion - if you can afford it, or even find one!

I'm a pain-in-the-ass-environmental scientist, so I advocate for the environment where possible. :oops:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:16 pm

Hey, if you ask me, we need all the pain-in-the-ass environmental scientists we can get. You're doubly welcome, and welcome to point out these important points to us--unlike certain, oh, presidential administrations, I think facts are important.

'kay, I'll leave any more of that to the Political Forum