Other things to watch--

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat May 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Gillian, just 'cause you're an artist, and I thought Sita intriguingly combined hand-drawn and computerized attributes. I just thought you would enjoy it!
I love the opening sequence. Kids' interreactions are universal.
Yeah, the way that little drama queen slumped over in complete devastation just cracked me up.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun May 02, 2010 8:45 am

Hilary the Touched wrote:Gillian, just 'cause you're an artist, and I thought Sita intriguingly combined hand-drawn and computerized attributes. I just thought you would enjoy it!
I did! Great blend of creativity, humour and insight.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Robin Hood, with spoilers galore

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat May 22, 2010 7:50 pm

--------------SPOILERS AHOY------------------------

Sprog dragged me off to see Ridley Scott's take on Robin Hood.
I am now convinced that "Ridley" was a childhood nickname derived from "ridiculous." The screenplay was written by the same guy who did Green Zone, which might explain the proclivity for massive explosions.
If I didn't know better, I might think he had quite a thing for Jason Isaacs as well--every other scene of this movie looks like something else, from a beachhead landing straight out of Saving Private Ryan to assaults that looked lifted directly from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. They also have Robin and Marion dancing, Last of the Mohicans-esquely, to "Women of Ireland," a song that the Chieftains performed in Barry Lyndon in 1975. At one point Sprog and I leaned toward one another and hissed, "Burn the church!" and there is also a shot of the absurd (but not remotely sinister or amusing) Sheriff of Nottingham, disturbed in his hovel with his peasant trollop, that had me expecting his trousers to drop at any moment. WTF?
I was also scratching my head at the casting. (Mark Strong was fine, of course, though midway through the movie he acquires an arrow wound to the face that results in a long, red, stitched gash to one corner of his mouth, prompting Sprog to intone, "Why so serious?" every time he showed up to intimidate someone new.) I'm down with some cross-cultural work, but for real. Crowe's from New Zealand and Blanchett's an Aussie, but even lots of lesser roles were Brit-free: Will Scarlett was American, and Little John was played by Lost's Martin Keamy.
The iconic William the Marshall? William fucking Hurt.
Richard the Lionheart? Let's see, we need a gorgeous vainglorious king who excels at armed combat, a little past his prime but still vital: oh, I know, let's get Danny Huston* in a really puzzling wig.
What, there weren't any Brits available? All of 'em off pretending to be Yanks on big-budget TV series? Uh, not quite all.
More annoying were the revisionist liberties: there were more mentions of tyranny than in the average Glenn Beck broadcast, and the movie would have us believe that the Magna Carta was written by Robin's dad, a stonemason in Nottingham. We're told that the band of hooligan boys who run wild are a result of excessive taxation, which has led to a lack of "jobs." That was actually the word that was used. Sure, yeah, I guess the local textile mill went bust or something.
The conclusion features Marion (who's apparently sneaked the 200 miles from Nottingham to Dover without being noticed) wading into the climactic fray in armor, waving a broadsword with the best of 'em. Never mind lacking the upper-body strength (which she might've had more of than I'm giving her credit for, given the fact that she has to do all the plowing of her FIVE THOUSAND acres herself, since all the young men are now masked aimless gangstas), when has she ever trained in martial arts??
Oh whatever. Sprog and I had fun making fun (we might have disturbed our seatmates were the movie not so damn loud) and playing "spot the homage." Or rip-off, whichever you prefer.

*sometime Jason Isaacs costar
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun May 23, 2010 7:21 am

Well, I'll cross that off my list unless I decide I want a good laugh.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun May 23, 2010 8:25 am

I'll see Robin Hood because I am a sucker for all things medieval (and I love the legend).

~me

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sun May 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I love the legend as well but I will wait for the small screen...thanks Hil.:hugs

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Well see, that's one of my complaints about the movie--I was happy to see a new angle on the legend, but this one didn't make much sense on its own, and it seemed almost perversely to ignore most of the traditions. There's this weird, tacked-on final scene in which Robin and Marion are hanging out in the woods with all the Lost Boys--er, jobless hooligans--and Robin finally brings out his bow again, but the Sheriff is a decidedly secondary character, Robin seems like a complete outsider (again, we're told that his dad was a stonemason, but nobody in the area seems to have known Robin), and Richard I, who in the stories was always going to turn up and Save the Day, is dead at the start of this movie!
It's obvious that this one is structured as a Prequel (Robin Hood: the Early Years, although Crowe is a tubby middle-aged dude in this one), but it's hard to see how it can segue into the story we expect, and I wasn't much impressed with this one.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 am

I saw FURRY VENGEANCE.sp? It was hysterical. ::rofl

~ML :'-) *ilaughedsohardinearlyfelloutmychair*

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon May 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Saw Iron Man II last weekend - exactly what I thought it would be. Hubby enjoyed the action - I enjoyed watching RD Jr.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon May 24, 2010 12:45 pm

I saw the Clash of the Titans yesterday. Silly movie but the special effects are great (it was entertaining enough)

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm

I liked Robin Hood. :roll: Russell looked more fit than he had in years.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue May 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Watched Crazy Heart yesterday (Netflix). It was much better than I expected. Jeff Bridges was really good. He deserved the Oscar.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 am

Sprog dragged her dad and I to go see Inception last night. Visually stunning (same director as The Dark Knight) with some great actors, but I'm afraid it left me cold. DH enthusiastic about seeing it a second time, and Sprog--being young--can't wait to see it a third.
Any of you guys considering it? I'm interested in other opinions.
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:56 am

I hadn't planned on seeing it. Not really my type of picture.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Grannybear, I'm not sure you can judge it that quickly--the ads make it look more action-adventur-y than it really is. It's more of a psychological thriller, if anything, and an intriguing premise.

But I still wasn't that crazy about it . . . :-|

Return to “General Forum”