The Theatre of War

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, kjshd05, Marie, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, Helen8

Anniemouse

Re: The Theatre of War

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Spoilers *****

Just finished watching the play (still listening to the after chat/discussion)

Jason was immense, all northern accent and grit playing the psychologically damaged Ajax. Jason brought real humanity to a complex human turned into a desperate damaged wreck through contant war, death and fear all around him. Jason playing Ajax anguished mental state that ends in his suicide had me reeling. The plays topics of mental health guilt, PTSD and rage seem staggeringly relevent today.

Jason also played Odysseus the more manipulative warrior full of confidence and guile. An equally fascinating piece. Jason in commanding form playing the charasmatic leader.

Lesley Sharp was also staggering as his wife, in fact all the cast were amazing.

The after chat discussing the experiences of the veterans is profoundly moving.

Sophocles was a genius, his work despite the fact he wrote 2,500 years ago somehow accessed a human truth bringing it to the masses. Its mind blowing to think he had the ability to understand the damage of war on humanity.

I suspect those who missed this event will eventually be able to see it as it looked like it was recorded.

Thank you for tipping me off about this I suspect I will be processing this broadcast in my mind for some time.
Last edited by Anniemouse on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Um. I'm so busy with unpacking (and getting my life back together again) that I missed this. Is it streaming somewhere that I can see it now? :weed

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:47 pm

I am not sure but it looked like they recorded it.

The more I think about it the more I think Jason was staggeringly good in the role of Ajax and what a fascinating project to witness.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:39 am

Annie, it was your description of his performance that really made me absolutely want to see it, too.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks, Annie. Reading your review was second best to being there. :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 am

I have sent the organiser a message to see if they have plans to put the performance online. It is worth seeing.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:13 am

Thanks for that, Annie. I hope they've done it.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Here is an article on the production

https://www.expressandstar.com/entertai ... p-charity/

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ente ... 70688.html

In would love to see it again.

https://news.yahoo.com/jason-isaacs-hel ... fFAPRJEg9N

If you look at this image from the interview it was the same background as the play. Jason wore a navy/black long sleeved formal cotton shirt.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:58 am

Thanks for posting all of the links, Annie :D

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:26 am

You are welcome still looking for a link of the performance . I hope that they did record it.
Has anyone else been able to find out any more about the show being videod for broadcast.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks, Annie. I haven't found it anywhere, maybe they just recorded it for their internal use or for future marketing purposes.

Jasonisaacsitaliafan posted this little taste on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCzPbYCKda5/

It looks very intense.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:06 am

Well it was recorded by the look of it. I think Jason was on screen (if not speaking, as sometimes you had three of the actors speaking lines) for most of the first section which was around 45 minutes and another 10 perhaps for the second play.

He was that intense for all of the first play. I would love to see more but at least you get a feel for the play. He was immense.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks for that brief clip, Thunder. It does look very intense indeed. It looks like a hard watch.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Those clips are near the beginning of the piece so as you can imagine the tension actually rises to the end of the scene. I was mentally exhausted by the end. Heaven only knows what Jason and the other actors felt as they were acting in a really unusual setting. YOu could see that they were getting cued bya light appearing on screen telling them to speak their lines. They must have been exhausted at the end as they were acting and concerntrating on the light cue. Jason whose role must have been mentally draining as that was his base point and he had to increase his intensity as his character falls completey apart like I mentioned was immense. The level of concertration to follow all the cues hear other actors only through their earbuds and keep in character was something to behold. Lesley Sharp had the added issue of being in her car.

I would pay to see Jason doing Sophocles on stage or tv. I desperately want to see it again.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 am

Maybe we will have other chances to see it. :D