My-JI-Works-Blog-ToscaNini

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Tosca Nini

Re: My-JI-Works-Blog-ToscaNini

Post by Tosca Nini » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:29 pm

About to start listening to Wolf of the Plains. Strangely I am also reading The Travels of Marco Polo... and they are related, the protagonist, Temujin, became Genghis Khan, grandfather of Kublai Khan, for whom Marco Polo worked and whose empire he describes in his book. What a coincidence! Didn't pick the Marco Polo book on purpose...

Finished watching the Star Wars Rebels series, plus the episode where JI returns as the Inquisitor/Sentinel. Very surprised with the series quality! One of the best animated series I've watched... Just wish Jason Isaacs has watched it too, because his character is crucial and gets some of the best music in the series. They took so much care with his character, it's really impressive. He has a choir soundtrack which makes him scary and imposing! Now I get why people were so taken by the series and the Inquisitor. Many raved on the internet with his return on ep. 2.16. JI's basso voice is perfect, p-e-r-f-e-c-t, for the character.

After 3 episodes of The State Within, I'm hooked and got the connections between plot lines. Definitely, really, really worth it!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:34 pm

[quote="Tosca Nini"
After 3 episodes of The State Within, I'm hooked and got the connections between plot lines. Definitely, really, really worth it![/quote]

I knew you'd like it! :D

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:38 am

After much viewing of the State Within (which I'm going to re-watch next week, it's a vice now...) I was able to go on to other movies.

John Wick (which I got by :ninja means): JI is not in it and frankly I don't think it can be called A Movie. It's an advert for Keanu Reeves's coolness, which he has in spades. But couldn't find anything else in it. Shooting, bangs, whatever, doesn't matter who dies or lives, as long as John Wick is left alive. Not that I disliked Keanu's portrait of John Wick. He looked mighty hot at 50...

Fury, which is a proper movie: First complaint - not enough JI in it. The rest of the cast was really great, although I couldn't understand many of the words they were saying, especially John Bernthal. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I suffered with it, feeling the characters pain and the horrors of war. Very good movie, indeed! Loved Logan Lerman and Brad Pitt.

I've been listening to The Wolf of the Plains, which is very engaging and easy to follow. Has been my companion before going to sleep.

Next: After the Fall. And I damn hope there is a good dose of Jason Isaacs in it, which is what movies are for. To have JI in them :!:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:31 am

You won't be disappointed by Jason's lengthy appearances in After the Fall.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Yes, JI has got quite decent screen time in After the Fall, considering he's not the lead. Enjoy, Tosca :D

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 am

Watched After the Fall and he (JI) was really great in it. The moment he signed the divorce papers... Taking a deep breath and doing it! One of those moments that show what acting-being is about.
I savoured the movie, really cared for the characters, remembered that Wes Bentley himself had issues with addiction, liked the pool as a symbol that he had to get rid of to start again.

Recommended. Indeed!

And now I'm going to dive again in the State Within. More submerging myself in it. All dots will be connected and (almost) everything will make sense. Hope I can move on after that... to Skeletons!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Tosca Nini wrote:Watched After the Fall and he (JI) was really great in it. The moment he signed the divorce papers... Taking a deep breath and doing it! One of those moments that show what acting-being is about.
I savoured the movie, really cared for the characters, remembered that Wes Bentley himself had issues with addiction, liked the pool as a symbol that he had to get rid of to start again.

Recommended. Indeed!

And now I'm going to dive again in the State Within. More submerging myself in it. All dots will be connected and (almost) everything will make sense. Hope I can move on after that... to Skeletons!
I really like Skeletons. It's different.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue May 03, 2016 10:48 am

Skeletons is refreshing and different. I really like it.

The State Within can take some reviewings as well. :mrgreen:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 am

I loved Skeletons!! :D

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:48 am

Haven't written since May :tchuh:

But I've now watched Skeletons (twice) which was weird. Took me some time to enter the movie. Second time was better, though, laughed more.

My preference goes to The Conspiracy. Dubbed in Spanish...

Good points:

- I've been in El Escorial and know the Monastery relatively well
- Spain is our only neighbour country and we share loads of history with them. Philip II of Spain was Phillip I of Portugal. His mother and one of his wives was Portuguese.
- Joaquim de Almeida is a very well know Portuguese actor (in Portugal) and played Juan Escobedo, the poisoned guy.
- I love Spanish period movies, much better than Portuguese period movies
- Enjoyed the story and most of the acting.
- Movie looked ravishing

Major good points

- Jason Isaacs as Antonio Perez (liked his acting)
- Jason Isaacs in tights
- Jason Isaacs blue eyes
- Jason Isaacs swordfighting
- Jason Isaacs in a period movie
- Jason Isaacs acting with a Portuguese fellow actor

Not so good:

- Incredibly cold Julia Ormond
- Unrealistic romance between Jeroen Krabbe and Mourisca girl
- They should all be speaking Spanish not English and being dubbed to Spanish.

But all in all I liked it very much, entertaining and educating.

Now I'm watching Dangerous Lady and it's one of those things that is going to be difficult to leave.
I'm liking it too much.

I'm also proceeding on the Wolf of the Plains audiobook, which us getting more and more interesting
(takes me ages to complete these audiobooks, as I want to get every single word right...).

The Entourage episode with JI will have to wait a bit until I let go of Dangerous Lady...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Dangerous Lady is my favorite early work of Jason's. You'll enjoy it, TN. And, welcome back!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I enjoyed Dangerous Lady also. Loved Wolf of the Plains. I had a long drive when I listened to it and when I arrived it was almost done. My Mom could not understand why I was still in the car!!!!!! ;-) Had to finish the audio book!!!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Another fan of Dangerous Lady, here.
Also a fan of the bearded Jason in La conjura de El Escorial. :D

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:41 am

Well, I'm back on my blog.

I've seen, re-seen, re-re-seen Dangerous Lady. And then I let go, because it was time to move on...
Such an elegant wardrobe, fab acting and loads of tears for JI

Next I watched (re-watched actually) The Last Don II, where poor Kirsty Alley looks a bit puffed, but all in all, it could be worse. Rather violent thing. JI is a compelling Priest in it, all too eager to leave priesthood to go with Alley (something inexplicable) but one should not discuss preferences. I have now in my mind JI as a priest in this film and in The End of the Affair, where his blue eyes are particularly well photographed.

Have watched some of his interviews in cook shows, promoting Case Histories, and other movies. Always magnetic! Damn, he's burning hot as himself!

Going now through Cars2 (after doing a crash course with Cars, a 2006 movie). Pity he plays very small parts, but he is a cool plane - Siddeley. And the first voice heard on the film. His characters gets pulped into a cube in the first minutes. My heart was crushed when I saw the state Leland Turbo was left! Ah well...

Now it's on to more interviews and Nine Lives. I've seen his segment already, but want to see it in the context of the whole movie.

I've watched way more than half of his work now. Not much left. I've seen his bits in Good, Brotherhood, also The Curse of Steptoe...

Got to go for Guardians and a Perfect Stranger!

And then it's the waiting thing... until the next movie is released with him on a tiny part...

Jason should get more main roles! He's great! Come on, Jason...

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 am

Haven't written here for a while, but after watching The Curse of Steptoe, one feels the need
to write.
Great part for Jason, no doubt! Heartbreaking typecast, something Jason never had.
Although people tend to remember him more as a baddie.
No, he's a brilliant goodie in The Curse of Steptoe and in so many roles. One just had to see
the flood of cheers he received by twitter for being cast as Star Trek's Captain Lorca.
Very deserved BAFTA nomination.
Will rewatch it time and time again.

Also finished listening to Wolf of The Plains. Took me so long to catch every word...
But I was rewarded by an interview by Jason to the writer by the end of the Audible book.
And really enjoyed it, despite being so violent. Pity he didn't read the following books...
Jason is a natural interviewer and presenter. He presents some awards shows. Is totally at ease
on a stage. Is extremely interventive and opinionated and asks pertinent questions.
If he wasn't an actor he could have been a presenter.
But no, he is just too good an actor to be only a presenter.

I've collected now so many interviews with him and am going through the first ones I saved.
Totally addictive and :adore
Some are about Case Histories, others about Good, cooking, Harry Potter. What a feast!

In between watched The Sight, which was a pilot, with Jason appearing briefly at the end,
if it had been commisioned he would have had a role in it.
And the complete Nine Lives, which I loved, totally.

Next, A Monster Calls, the full Good movie and many, many interview...

Return to “General Forum”